Hi, I'm brand new to this community. I'm considering a project and I'd like some input. I'm familiar with single wordpress installs/use, but have never attempted multiuser. Here is my big picture goal if it helps with the questions I will post below.
1. I would like to create a network of sites and allow users to create their own site/blog. (prosites)
2. I want to offer them upgrade options for ecommerce. (marketpress).
3. I'd like to offer them the option of a custom domain name.
4. I'd like to create premium tiers for upgrade that include bundles of plugins.
5. I'd like to offer users a number of themes they can choose from for their site.
I realize the above constitutes a lot, and I'm not asking for a how-to on the whole lot. But I wanted to explain the end goal if it helps your feedback on the below questions.
1. Hosting: I currently use the business plan at hostgator. Can I accomplish the above objective on that plan? (until large # users would cause me to upgrade.)
a. Should I make this my primary domain or can it be an add on?
b. what considerations will be required if grows to over 500 users?
2. Multipress/prosites install: I read the manual on this site, but I missed the abc's of how to install it. Can you please link me to the info that walks me through how to establish the prosite network?
3. I've never setup a database before. Can you steer me to learn how to do this as I understand it is required for multisite/prosites?
4. Other: What other considerations should I make early on to avoid redo's later?
I appreciate your input. Thanks!