[Branda] Branda's Handfull of Bugs of Update on 2019-04-15

Branda's Handfull of Bugs of Update on 2019-04-15
- Login Screen - Logo image gets a 500px (or more) space below the Logo.
- Image Filesize Limits - Allows Max 2MB for any User Role despite server config.
- Login/Logout Redirect - You put /wp-admin/ and it adds http:// before (BAD!).
- Every time you hit Save it asks to leave without saving, must get back then hit Save again.

Feature Suggestion:
- Login/Logout Redirect Per User Role (very much needed).

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Fabio Fava

- Login Screen - Logo image gets a 500px (or more) space below the Logo.

This is already fixed in the version which is released today. Would you please update to the latest version and check?

- Image Filesize Limits - Allows Max 2MB for any User Role despite server config.

Do you mean the logo image upload or any other part of the Branda? Would you please post a screenshot so that I can check?

- Login/Logout Redirect - You put /wp-admin/ and it adds http:// before (BAD!).

Relative URL is not allowed here, so you are supposed to provide absolute URL. In the absolute URL, if you don't provide http:// protocol, Branda adds it automatically. So, instead of /wp-admin/, give http://domain.com/wp-admin/ in that box.

- Every time you hit Save it asks to leave without saving, must get back then hit Save again.

I am sorry, I can't replicate this either with the latest version on my test site. Is it possible for your to make a screencast so that I can follow just in case if I am checking wrong section?

Feature Suggestion:
    - Login/Logout Redirect Per User Role (very much needed).

Would you please create a separate thread for feature request, so that we can discuss about the feature in there and other members can join in the discussion?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Ash

Do you mean the logo image upload or any other part of the Branda? Would you please post a screenshot so that I can check?

Branda --> Utilities --> Images

Relative URL is not allowed here, so you are supposed to provide absolute URL. In the absolute URL, if you don't provide http:// protocol, Branda adds it automatically. So, instead of /wp-admin/, give http://domain.com/wp-admin/ in that box.

It used to work. The last version (prior to the update) was accepting relative URLs. They're actually MUCH BETTER than absolute (for the Export/Import reason I've already told) and there's NO reason to relative URLs not being accepted. They work. They work better. So why not?!

I am sorry, I can't replicate this either with the latest version on my test site. Is it possible for your to make a screencast so that I can follow just in case if I am checking wrong section?

I'm the one who's sorry here: yes on every installl I have Branda (on pretty much any section), every (or almost) time I hit "Save Changes" in Branda, I receive the modal dialog "This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you have entered may not be saved.", then I have to click on "Stay at this page", then I click again "Save Changes" and then it works.

Would you please create a separate thread for feature request, so that we can discuss about the feature in there and other members can join in the discussion?

I actually think Branda could take-over some basic functions of Theme My Login: themed profiles for users instead of dropping them on the WP Admin. Also, Super Admins should be logged in to WP Network Admin, regular Admins to WP Admin, other users to wherever we decide. Please take a look on TML (Theme My Login), the basic function could be reproduced.

I prefer not adding another Ticket, there are already a lot of them. Just something that could make Branda even better. I would love to drop TML if Branda could takeover.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Fabio Fava

Branda --> Utilities --> Images

on every installl I have Branda (on pretty much any section), every (or almost) time I hit "Save Changes" in Branda, I receive the modal dialog "This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you have entered may not be saved.", then I have to click on "Stay at this page", then I click again "Save Changes" and then it works.

I still can't replicate these on my test site. I want to check on your site. Would you please enable support access so that I can check? Please follow this article to enable support access: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

It used to work. The last version (prior to the update) was accepting relative URLs. They're actually MUCH BETTER than absolute (for the Export/Import reason I've already told) and there's NO reason to relative URLs not being accepted. They work. They work better. So why not?!

Yes, I can confirm in compare to the previous version. Unfortunately, I can't confirm right at the moment if there is any specific purpose to force having an absolute URL, but I am marking this as a bug and reporting to the developer. I will update here as soon I get any update on it.

About TML, thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely pass this to the Branda team.

Thanks again,
    Ash

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Ash thank you for your help,

I still can't replicate these on my test site. I want to check on your site. Would you please enable support access so that I can check? Please follow this article to enable support access: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

I could do it but it's happening pretty much on every of my WordPress containers, despite the hosting or the setup I have on those sites. Last few updates of Branda came with this issue. I can live with that, just hit esc then Save Changes again, it works. Maybe is Firefox, maybe is my Mac...

Yes, I can confirm in compare to the previous version. Unfortunately, I can't confirm right at the moment if there is any specific purpose to force having an absolute URL, but I am marking this as a bug and reporting to the developer. I will update here as soon I get any update on it.

In some versions Branda allows me to use /wp-admin/ other versions it doesn't. I think this depends on what developer "packs" the version, or his mood on that day... (?) But there's no reason to force writing the whole URL again, including http/https...

On the other hand, nobody talks about the Image Size restrictions. Even my wp-config.php and my Server being setup to 64MB uploads, Branda (just in some sites, not in others) blocks the max image upload size in its way. Not a pattern: sometimes is 2MB, sometimes allows 60MB but not 61MB... The server is the same so it's 128MB Max Upload. I use my WP with 64MB Max Upload.

Can't understand, all sites are on the same server at Cloudways.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Fabio Fava

Maybe is Firefox, maybe is my Mac...

I have just checked in firefox on my mac, but unfortunately, still I can't replicate the issue :slight_frown:

In some versions Branda allows me to use /wp-admin/ other versions it doesn't.

Yeah, I can see relative URLs were working on previous version, that's why I reported to the developer. Once I get any information, I will update you.

On the other hand, nobody talks about the Image Size restrictions. Even my wp-config.php and my Server being setup to 64MB uploads, Branda (just in some sites, not in others) blocks the max image upload size in its way. Not a pattern: sometimes is 2MB, sometimes allows 60MB but not 61MB... The server is the same so it's 128MB Max Upload. I use my WP with 64MB Max Upload.

I am extremely sorry as I missed this, but it was not intentional :slight_frown:

About this issue, I want to see it live. Would you please send me the following details?
    1. Your wordpress admin URL
    2. Wordpress super admin username and password
    3. A test user username and password who is having the issue
    4. A URL where I can see the issue by loggin in as the test user

You can send me privately in the following format:
    1. Please go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    2. Select "I have a different question" if not selected
    3. In subject line put "Attn-Ashok" (this will ensure that the email is assigned to me)
    4. Provide the wanted details.
    5. Add the thread link in the message so that I can track.

I will take a look. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Ash thank you for your reply,

Unfortunately I can't provide any kind of access, just report there's a bug on this Image Size module. I'll explain you and you'll understand that there's no setup or server issues, it's plain Branda. In example I have 4 sites: 2 single-installl WP (one very simple blog, other more complex setup) and 2 MU's just starting with a main site and a child site (on one of them, the other just the main site).

1) All 4 sites are on the exact same server, on separated (but equal) WordPress Containers.
    2) Server Setup allows Uploading Files up to 128MB, all have same wp-config.php & .htaccess setups.
    3) All Conteiners in Cloudways have exactly the same settings (Site 2 has half of the others).
    4) On the MU's, Ive tried Network Enable and Per-Site Enable, with same results.
    5) Please note on the left side, the upload limits: Sites 1, 3 and 4 have exactly same settings both on the WP Container at Cloudways, and the wp-config.php and .htaccess files. But Site 1 says 67109Mb max_upload while Sites 3 and 4 says 65536Mb max_upload. Same server, same Container Settings, same wp-config.php and .htaccess settings... But Brenda says they're different. They aren't.

Site 1 - Single Site - More Complex Setup - Totally nuts.
    Site 2 - Single Site - Simple Blog - Only site Branda's respecting Server, Container, and wp-config.php and .htaccess settings.
    Site 3 - MU - Only 1 Main Site - Quite nuts, Brenda allows 60Mb not more.
    Site 4 - MU - 1 Main and 1 Child-Site & Exact same Setup as Site 3 - Totally nuts, as you can see.

I hope you can check on the images (clicking on the links for each site).

Please let me know if is there anything else I could do. I could grant developer access on all 4 sites, as long as I have a promise that absolutely nothing will be changed on any of them. No plugin added, activated or deactivated. No theme changes, adding or whatever. I've tried all that before contacting support, that's why I'm sure there's not a problem on any of my WP setups.

Cheers.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Fabio Fava,

This needs to be given closer look, please do enable support access, so that we could compare, and set up a similar in our side, and check whether it's something we could replicate.

We'll make sure no changes are done on your website, the support access will only be used to compare your website with our when testing the mentioned conflict.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Nithin

You have Support Access granted on all 4 sites:

fabiofava.com --> Branda Image Size Limits are nuts here.
    lokorace.bike --> Branda Image Size Limits are fine just here.
    flynet.me --> Branda Image Size Limits are nuts here.
    flyorganya.com --> Branda Image Size Limits are nuts here.

Please let me know in any case, or when I can turn off the Support.

Cheers

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Fabio Fava,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Seems like support access to fabiofava.com wasn't enabled. I checked the flyorganya website via support access, and I'm afraid I'm not sure whether I'm noticing the exact issue as you have mentioned.

Just to be sure, the issue is with setting limits? or with uploading images based on those limits?

I checked the main site and could notice the Image Filesize Limit, under Branda > Utilities > Images, and it's set as 60 MB for the admin.

I tried to set up a similar in my test site by importing the settings, but it seems to work fine as expected.

Maybe I'm missing something specific in your give steps. Sorry, if I'm repeating my question, please advise what exact you notice with setting limits so that I could bring into our developer's attention.

5) Please note on the left side, the upload limits: Sites 1, 3 and 4 have exactly same settings both on the WP Container at Cloudways, and the wp-config.php and .htaccess files. But Site 1 says 67109Mb max_upload while Sites 3 and 4 says 65536Mb max_upload. Same server, same Container Settings, same wp-config.php and .htaccess settings... But Brenda says they're different. They aren't.

Yes, I could notice anomalies regarding this. I'm bringing this into our developer's attention to see how exactly is the upload limit is set and displayed in the plugin side regarding this.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Nithin

I've enabled the support on fabiofava.com sorry for that, this site sometimes gets disconnected from The Hub (since I've moved it as a Child to a MU, then moved it back to Single-Install, it behaves weird, specially the FavIcon just shows up on Firefox/Tor, not on Safary/Chrome).

Just to be sure, the issue is with setting limits? or with uploading images based on those limits? I checked the main site and could notice the Image Filesize Limit, under Branda > Utilities > Images, and it's set as 60 MB for the admin.

Isn't what that module does? The module states (note the 67109) server/wp settings:

Image Filesize Limit
    Override the default WordPress upload limit of 67109Mb for different user roles.

Anyway, I challenge you to set Image Filesize Limit for the Admin Role to 64 MB (that's what I would like), specially on fabiofava.com, flynet.me and flyorganya.com (for Main Site and Child-Site). You'll realize that, despite the settings on Server (64MB) and wp-config:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
    define('WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M');

So it's just that Branda isn't allowing me to upload images bigger than a random number she says.

Cheers

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Fabio Fava

I apologize for taking so long to understand the image file size issue, but unfortunately, I still can't replicate the issue on my test sites - single and multisite both, neither we got another report of this issue. Definitely, we are missing something here.

Would you please do us a favor? Would you please create a video screencast to show us when exactly the image size limit doesn't work or fails? That will definitely help us a lot to replicate the issue and then we can report to the developer.

Thank you so much for replying with patience to make us understand the issue. Once the video is ready, please send us a link.

Cheers
    Ash

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Ash

I don't think it's needed. Please get into fabiofava.com (Support Access), then go to Branda -> Utilities -> Images (/wp-admin/admin.php?page=branding_group_utilities&module=images).

Then try to raise-up the Image Limits for Administrator to -> 64 MB. It's blocked on 2MB, despite to the limit (just on the left side on the Branda->Image panel) it says "Override the default WordPress upload limit of 67109Mb for different user roles."

I hope you can understand the situation. I can create Admin Credentials to a Staging Version (on wich the same issue occurs) of this site, but I assume you can do it on the Support Access.

Cheers!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Fabio Fava

Thanks for explaining, then we were checking the same place. Then I have created a newly fresh site and test again but still that works fine on my site, here is a screenshot:

But yeah, I did notice the issue on your site and I have to say this is really weird. Now, the only thing I can suggest a conflict test. As you have a staging site, Would you please run a conflict test? Please deactivate all plugins except this one and check if the problem gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is having conflict. You need to do the same with themes as well.

You can find the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1

I am also sending your issue to our second level support team, but this is really tough to troubleshoot without FTP access. So, if you can send FTP for the staging site, would be very helpful.

You can send me privately in the following format:
    1. Please go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    2. Select "I have a different question" if not selected
    3. In subject line put "Attn-Ashok" (this will ensure that the email is assigned to me)
    4. Provide the wanted details.
    5. Add the thread link in the message so that I can track.

Please note that, they deal with more complex issues, so there might be little delay. We appreciate your patience on this.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Ash

I've granted Support Acces on staging.fabiofava.com so you can check for yourself: The only plugin active is Branda, and the theme is 2019. I've even reset all Branda's Settings (and set it to not retain any setting), erased the plugin, run Plugins Garbage Collector (just in case), reinstalled and set only that module... It still does whatever it wants on that Image Size Limits area.

Please confirm if you really need regular Admin Access to the Admin Dashboard (in case the Support Granted can't help), then I'll send you the credentials to access staging.fabiofava.com thank you for your patience.

Cheers!

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Yes feel free to remove them.

If you mean pay-per-use for your staging ( first time I hear that to be honest ) sorry to hear that but some errors unfortunately can't be easily replicated that's why we request access and preferably a staging also so we can do conflict tests and further debugging without messing around on live sites.

We'll follow up on this post as soon as we hear something from our Devs :slight_smile: .

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey Fabio Fava ,

Sorry to keep you waiting it was a bit tricky to identify this but we did. I've already reported everything to our developers and it will be fixed on an upcoming version. Unfortunately there's no easy patch at the moment to apply on your end though :slight_frown: . Tell me if I can do anything else to help.

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.