Branding - Welcome widget disappeared

I have Ultimate Branding installed and am using a custom widget as a welcome message. It's been working perfectly until recently. I'm not sure if it stopped working when I upgraded to WP 4.4 or what. My message is still there in the admin area, but it's not showing up on people's sites. As the super admin I can see it, but my users aren't.

Any idea what's going on?

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Todd Heitner, Michael here!

I'm not able to reproduce this over on my own site right now, could you please enable Support Access to your site, so I can have a closer look at how you've got things set up here?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

You've got your content inserted into the "Custom Dashboard Welcome" area inside of:

Branding -> Widgets

Right?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Todd Heitner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Access granted.
    Yes, I have content in the custom dashboard welcome area. It's been there and was working perfectly for months. As the super admin I can still see it.

If it helps, I'm using a membership plugin called PaidMembershipPro on the site, so most people are not an admin of their site, but have custom permissions. That being said, it's been working fine up until now.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Todd Heitner, thanks for granting that, and for supplying the extra info! :slight_smile:

In the midst of all this, I'd like to ask... which user role are we targeting here? Testing with a site of my own on your network, I used the "Free Website" role, which lacks the "edit_theme_options" capability. And that's required to have that Welcome widget show up.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Todd Heitner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was away for a bit. There are two roles I'm targeting on the site: "Free Website" and "Paid Website".

Why do they need "edit_theme_options" capability? And is that something new? It used to work fine for all the user roles. I want all users on the site to see the welcome message.

Is there some way to make it work again?

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Todd Heitner,

Why do they need "edit_theme_options" capability?

Because the functionality within WordPress responsible for displaying the Welcome message does a check for that in an if statement:

if ( has_action( 'welcome_panel' ) && current_user_can( 'edit_theme_options' ) ) :

(the full code can be found over here, on line 98)

And is that something new?

Nope, this'd be a check that's been around for quite some time in WordPress. :slight_smile:

As to what we can do, we'd need to add the capability to both of those roles, and for any roles that should not see the "Appearance" menu item, you should be able to use the Admin Menu Editor Pro (I believe you had the Pro version installed there, it's been a while, and Support Access isn't active right now) to hide that menu item for those roles.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.