Bridging WP Membership, Supporter, and New Blog Templates?

I did a search and didn't find anything but if this is discussed elsewhere, please direct me.

I am running BuddyPress 1.2.7 on WP 3.0.5.

I have created templates with New Blog Templates. I have set membership levels and subscriptions with WP Membership. I have successfully installed Supporter.

Problem one: Where does a user go to change the blog template? They do not have access to Site Admin.

Problem two: When a user creates a new blog the default template is active. But I don't want it to be. I want to offer the blog templates as part of premium membership using Supporter. I see where Supporter allows me to set themes as part of a paid membership but I don't see any way to set blog templates as part of a paid membership. I need to do this because I need to have certain widgets and plugins active when the new blog is created. (My users are not tech savvy and have said they don't understand configuring pretty much anything.)

I have created three levels: Member, Artist, and Premium Artist. The Member and Artist levels are be free and the Premium Artist level is paid. I have successfully restricted the Member level such that the only thing they can access at the Dashboard is their profile and they cannot create blogs. I have successfully restricted the Artist and Premium Artist levels such that they cannot post or moderate or do anything really at the Dashboard of the main site. I have used Membership to enable Premium Artists to see a particular plugin menu that only they can see.

Problem three: Is it possible to prevent Artists and Premium Artists from seeing things in the Dashboard of their own sites like Widgets, Menus, Tools, etc.? I'm checking off the applicable items in the Negative Rules and yet the menus are still showing up.

• apensyl
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I will be watching this, hoping for some good news!! I would love to do EXACTLY what you are describing - offer blog templates on sign-up OR through Supporter (upgrades). But I can't see how that can work as it's designed currently. The Blog Templates plugin would be SO much more useful if it could be added to the sign-up like Blog Types. Maybe someone can help at least show how to modify the code to do so???? :slight_smile:

I have also had the same issues with Membership - the negative rules not working.

Looking forward to enlightening responses!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Problem one: Where does a user go to change the blog template? They do not have access to Site Admin.

The User has to change their theme through the admin area - and has to have admin privileges on the site - that's default to BuddyPress/WordPress. The BuddyPress admin bar has a link to the user's dashboard where they can access the Appearances>Themes menu item.

When a user creates a new blog the default template is active. But I don't want it to be. I want to offer the blog templates as part of premium membership using Supporter.

I'm not sure what you mean here. When a new blog is created a theme must be activated. Supporter allows you to define some themes exclusively for paid members.

Problem three: Is it possible to prevent Artists and Premium Artists from seeing things in the Dashboard of their own sites like Widgets, Menus, Tools, etc.? I'm checking off the applicable items in the Negative Rules and yet the menus are still showing up.

Are you blocking these items with the membership plugin? I can ask Barry to take a look on that. Otherwise, this is not an easy task with WordPress/BuddyPress at the moment.

Anybody else have any suggestions? Thanks!

• UNIIMI
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hiya guys,

The User has to change their theme through the admin area - and has to have admin privileges on the site - that's default to BuddyPress/WordPress. The BuddyPress admin bar has a link to the user's dashboard where they can access the Appearances>Themes menu item.

I know how to change themes. But the blog templates created with the New Blog Templates plugin are what I am trying to change. Those don't appear under Appearance.

When a user creates a new blog the default template is active. But I don't want it to be. I want to offer the blog templates as part of premium membership using Supporter.

I'm not sure what you mean here. When a new blog is created a theme must be activated. Supporter allows you to define some themes exclusively for paid members.

Yes, I understand that a theme must be activated. I wan to set a default theme that is not a blog template.

Are you blocking these items with the membership plugin? I can ask Barry to take a look on that. Otherwise, this is not an easy task with WordPress/BuddyPress at the moment.

Yes, I am blocking these items with the membership plugin.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Blog templates are and only can be applied at the time of blog creation for technical reasons. They can't be changed later on. So you couldn't limit with supporter as that's a status of an already created blog. It's technically feasible though that you could write a custom plugin that checks for a certain membership level from the membership plugin to make certain blog templates selectable at the time of blog signup.

Unfortunately blog templates doesn't allow users to choose a template at creation, only admins. That's something we hope to add soon.

• apensyl
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It's technically feasible though that you could write a custom plugin that checks for a certain membership level from the membership plugin to make certain blog templates selectable at the time of blog signup.

If anybody out there sees this and can do it, I'll buy it!! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately blog templates doesn't allow users to choose a template at creation, only admins. That's something we hope to add soon.

Please do!! That would be a wonderful "upgrade" to this plugin!!

Thanks everyone!

• UNIIMI

@masonjames Did you ask Barry to take a look at this?

Are you blocking these items with the membership plugin? I can ask Barry to take a look on that. Otherwise, this is not an easy task with WordPress/BuddyPress at the moment.`

Yes, I am blocking these items with the membership plugin. `

• UNIIMI

Zoinks! Meant:

@masonjames Did you ask Barry to take a look at this?

Yes, I am blocking these items with the membership plugin.

• UNIIMI

OK. I'll wait for Barry to reply then. I have the other issues resolve so I don't need a custom plugin. I just need to figure out how to prevent the users from seeing the options that (I thought) I retricted with Membership plugin rules.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If you network activate the plugin, or install it in mu-plugins, and switch on the global tables option (in the config file) then the plugin will be activated across all the sites in your network and will use a single set of tables.

This means that you can then restrict dashboard items and menus in the admin area across all sites - which is what that element of the plugin was designed to handle.

• UNIIMI

If you network activate the plugin, or install it in mu-plugins, and switch on the global tables option (in the config file) then the plugin will be activated across all the sites in your network and will use a single set of tables.

I apologize for my ignorance. I must not know enough about PHP. Are there instructions for this somewhere?

I have tried changing the following line:

// Use a global table system - experimental
    if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', false);

to

if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', true);

also tried

if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', yes);

Neither of those worked. Am I doing something wrong? If so, please tell me what I should be doing.

Thanks!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello UNIIMI,

Your second code snippet is correct.
    if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', true);

However, since you've had Membership setup with global tables set to false, the plugin will now need to create the global tables, which will first require deleting the m_installed option from your wp_options tables on your blogs. This would be best done via phpMyAdmin.

With those options deleted, simply visiting the Dashboard of one of the blogs should automatically create the global tables, at which point all the blogs should access that set of tables rather than individual ones.

These things are also covered in the following thread.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-cant-add-new-levels

Please let me know if you need any further clarification on any of this!

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.