Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute

I was updating a bunch of plugins on my site and seemingly took the site down. Now I get the "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute." message. What went wrong and how do I recover?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Shireen,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The reasons for such an incident may be different but usually it's either that one (or more) of the plugins is incompatible with your current version of WordPress or there was some kind of error during the update process - for example at some moment it hit the memory limit or an internal server error occurred or some resources were not available temporarily.

Each of these can cause update process timeout and as a result it prevented WP from getting out of maintenance mode.

The solution to this would be to access the site via FTP and in a root folder of your WordPress installation check for ".mainenance" file. Please note the dot at the beginning. Some FTP clients may not be showing such files as they are considered "hidden" files so you may need to make sure that all the hidden files are visible.

Then, when you find the file, simply delete it and see if it helped. You will want to examine your site carefully to see if nothing got broken and it's possible that you will also want to update your plugins again but I'd suggest this time doing it "one by one". This may either let you update them all without issues or will identify which one is causing this problem.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.