Broken Admin Area...

Hey,

To say I'm a little frustrated is an understatement... All of my pop-up windows and drop down menus are broken in the admin area. Here's some history and troubleshooting:

-I posted previously about this issue and it was to do with a search and replace that I'd done on my SQL DB - I restored to a back up DB and it worked perfectly.
-In any windows such as 'add link' or 'featured image' the options either do nothing or redirect to a random page.
-I've updated to the latest version of WP, but this fixed nothing.
-I've literally deactivated every plugin 1 by 1 until they're all deactivated, this does nothing either.
-Finally, I've restored the DB again from the version I saved before deactivating the plugins hoping that it'd wake it up, but nothing!

I've not come across this before. Hoping someone else has and that they have a solution?

Cheers!

Scott. =)

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi illustratemedia,

There may be some short cut, but I don't know it. Sorry :slight_smile:

I would try to revert the installation to the state where the DB back up was created.

This includes installing the WP version that was used at that time. You find all WP releases here:

http://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/

Similarly, for the rest of your setup. Try to recreate the installation exactly as it was when the back up was created. The site should then be running.

Now, proceed as you would have liked to with the benefit of hindsight.

Hope this helps
    Mort3n

• illustratemedia
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey @mort3n,

Thanks for the response. Maybe you've misunderstood what my issue is - the admin area hasn't gone like this because of the update, I was merely pointing out that the update didn't fix it.

I've already reinstalled the whole backup of both the DB and the FTP.

Cheers,

Scott. =)

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Scott,

OK, you only mentioned restoring the DB. My suggestion was based on that.

The reasoning behind my suggestion was:

- The DB was backed up on a fully working site

- Some errors were introduced in various ways.

- You restored from backup to undo the errors.

- At least one error remains.

- Error(s) must come from the installation differing from the one on which the back up was created.

Enter my suggestion : Recreate the installation on which the DB does work.

If indeed you have also restored the installation to the state where the DB was backed up and you are certain that it was working at that time, then I'm bewildered :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• illustratemedia

@mort3n

I think I've confused myself somewhere here too... But I did back up the DB on what I thought was a working version, but shortly after, with only minor page changes in between, it stopped working again.

I could only guess that the DB restore gave it a kick, but not a fix, and that it was already broken before the backup.

*confused*

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

OK, if you doubt the validity of the backup, then I would suggest to go further back to a state where you know the error did not exist.

Based on your information, I can't really narrow it down. Sorry :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Scott and Mort3n,

@Mort3n thank you for your patience trying to sort through this and assisting this member.

@Scott Mort3n is spot on to revert back to a backup that did work flawlessly. You did mention at one point that you restored the backup and that everything was working ok for a bit then went haywire again. Obviously something/someone is making it go haywire.

Are you running caching by any chance?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

I may be off target here, but you mention pop-ups like featured images not working..

These features make AJAX call (asyncronous calls)

I am wondering if someone has tinkered with wp-admin security

Simply securing the wp-admin/ directory might also break some WordPress functionality, such as the AJAX handler at wp-admin/admin-ajax.php. See the Resources section for more documentation on how to password protect your wp-admin/ directory properly.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress#Securing_wp-admin

• illustratemedia

And quite rightly so @mort3n. I'll install and run that plugin, cheers!

Funny you should say that actually, @ROIBOT. I deleted and reuploaded the wp-admin and wp-includes folders, hoping that would sort it out. I read elsewhere that a little plugin called Tiny-MCE was causing problems and that'd be the fix, so deleted Tiny-MCE and swapped over the folders, but no joy.

If I'm way off the mark on the point you were trying to make, I apologise. That was my understanding of it!

Cheers,

Scott. =)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Scott,

Absolutely not, quite the opposite, and if you read a bunch of my posts regarding caching you will find that I am not in favor of it at all and relate it to poor mans hardware ... lol

Perhaps standard troubleshooting protocol will help here?

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Acenu/Joe is 100% correct.

Turn off all plugins. If you still have the issue, change to a basic theme. Once you identify the offending script, replace it with something else.

If you know how to write your own code, an if !admin conditional on the script will stop it from loading in the wp-admin folder. This is more relevant to custom theme building than plugin authoring, since most authors worth their salt don't make that mistake unless it's due to a bizarre interaction with someone else's code.

• illustratemedia

Hey guys.

I decided to go for returning to the latest working backup of the website that I had and then work forwards from there.

For anyone else who may come across this issue, here are a list of things I narrowed it down to it potentially being:

-I deleted Twenty Twelve and Twenty Eleven in FTP (may sound silly, but it's a possibility).
    -A plugin called TinyMCE seems to have caused other users the same issue.
    -The theme I'm using (not from WPMU) isn't very helpful anyway and is most likely a big issue. It's called SoundRock and has now been removed from the ThemeForest marketplace.

The moral of the story here is to keep a good backup and use the tools at hand on WPMU (i.e. backup plugins).

Lesson = learned.

Thanks fellas!

Scott. =)

• illustratemedia

One more thing I can just say quickly though... Even though I've gone back and most popups are fixed (apart from theme option related ones) the WPMU Dashboard still doesn't do a quick search in the plugins section - only on this particular WP install though!

Scott. =)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Scott,

I must say thank you for the input and clarifying the possibilities as to what may have caused your issues.

One thing I would like to note for readers, there are so many that buy themes from theme forest and they when they have issues blame us and claim something like well I bought it on theme forest so it must be WPMU DEV plugins etc.

As evidenced right here and now theme forest does not always sell reputable products which is just what I have been telling people that just because it was bought there does not mean squat, it does not mean all bad either - it depends really on the author, hooks, etc.

Thanks again Scott for your input which is greatly appreciated and for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

@illustratemedia

TinyMCE is the default editor in WordPress, do you mean TinyMCE Ultimate? If TinyMCE is the problem then you have a corrupt WordPress.

Deleting Twenty Twelve and Twenty Eleven, while inadvisable, would not break an installation.

If you are still having issues, please take the following steps in order:

+ Back up your installation. Fielder's choice here, whatever method you trust.
    + Download and unzip a clean copy of the latest WordPress.
    + Turn off all plugins
    + Delete everything except for wp-config.php and the wp-content folder.
    + Upload everything from the clean WordPress to your server EXCEPT for wp-config.exe
    + Log into WordPress
    + Set the theme to a default state (Twenty11/12)

Do you still have problems? My bet is that you do not. You may now start configuring things again (plugins, theme, etc). It wouldn't hurt to take a new backup of the clean state so that if you discover the culprit in the customization process by replicating the issue, you can immediately revert and you know what not to do the next time.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

In the above instructions, you may elect to clean out your entire themes folder before re-installing. It's always best to deactivate & delete through the WP admin when possible though as that will trigger a cleanup of stray database entries. Deleting the files non-programatically will often leave clutter behind.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.