Broken Jupiter Theme, Strategy to Rebuild Website

Hello,

So we had Jupiter theme installed for months. We then updated it to their newest version. The new version requires that you install their bundled Visual Composer plugin, which has been modified in some way from the original.

When we updated theme, the site worked fine. When we installed their version of VC, the websites back end became a white screen. I did some testing, and if you delete the VC plugin using FTP and/or install an older obsolete version of VC (non bundled) the sites backend will work properly.

However, we want both. We want latest version of Jupiter theme and latest version of VC. When I installed Jupiter and their bundled VC plugin on a vanilla test wordpress installation, it worked fine. I believe whats happening is that old jupiter theme, once updated to the new jupiter theme, has some left over stuff that is conflicting with the bundled, modified VC plugin.

My theory is that perhaps I can rebuild a new installation of the site somewhere off server starting from scratch using the newest jupiter version and their modified buncled VC plugin. I am happy to put in the work, but im very concerned about doing this because how am I too transfer all of the "user data" an dby that I mean there are premium membership accounts, purchased music downloads availabel for re-downloading, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts.

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Adrian!

I'd be more inclined to believe there's a plugin conflict, most theme updates are complete overwrites, so unless JupiterOld had files or directories JupiterNew doesn't, it's unlikely this is the source of your issue.

Have you tried disabling all of your plugins (except the modified VC) and seeing if you're still getting the whitepage of doom?

Have you turned on WP_DEBUG to see if there are any PHP errors?

Try these steps and see if you find a cause before you attempt to export and import a site full of sensitive information. : )

If you do need to export, you can always use an advanced exporter to pick and choose which data is exported, so you would use only safe demo data.

Hope this helps!

• Adrian

Thank you - well i did disable all plugins except for VCnew and it still broke. I did try the debug but unfortunately I dont understand what it means to be honest. I think it has something to do with old Jupiter (which had VC as well) shortcode on pages and new jupiter (with modified bundled VC) for some reason breaking. Its very bizzarre, ive talked to like three different people, my webhost, u guys, and a paid consultant, and no one knows whats going on or all say completely different things!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Adrian,

Hope you're doing well today!

What notices/warnings/errors came up when you turned on wp_debug?

You can turn it on by setting this in your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

it will likely already exist in there as "false". just change it to true.

you can also paste these defines in to stop it from showing the errors on your site and instead log them in a log file that you can copy and paste in here for us or send us the file if it's really long :slight_smile:

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

If you need any further assistance with that just let us know!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Adrian

Hi there, it wont let me change the config file because I dont have file permission (I think because it is Synthesis hosting). But they did send me these errors:

WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ') AND is_confirmed= 1' at line 1 for query SELECT DISTINCT group_id FROM gdk_bp_groups g, gdk_bp_groups_members m WHERE g.id=m.group_id AND g.status='public' AND m.user_id in () AND is_confirmed= 1 made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call

WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1 for query SELECT * FROM gdk_bp_groups WHERE id IN () made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-includes/template-loader.php'), do_action('template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_template_redirect, do_action('bp_template_redirect'), call_user_func_array, bp_screens, do_action('bp_screens'),

Are these errors related to this issue?

• Adrian

Hey there,

Well just to be safe I went through and deleted all the buddypress related components in the files as well as the database. Still no luck. I've reached out to both plugin and theme authors and they are non-responsive for two weeks now.

Ive noticed while working on this page:

http://www.suspicious0bservers.org/channels

That it appears the rows are not rendering correctly. I created rows in Visual Composer, but on the front end it renders as if they are not there (for instance, the a row with columns, displays as if it had only one). Could this indicate that something in Jupiter is overriding visual composer? Could this also be the cause of the white screen admin area upon installing the most recent version of VC? Perhaps they are related. Please advise

• aristath

Hello again @Adrian,

Unfortunately both Jupiter & Visual Composer are premium and we don't have access to them, so there's no way for us to test them and familiarize ourselves with their code and the way they function!
    I've never used any of these 2 so I really can't offer any advise here...
    Yes, it could be the cause of the white screen but there's no way for us to know for sure!
    Your host does not allow you to set WP_DEBUG to true and do some real debugging, and we've never used the products you're referring to ourselves!
    At this point, only the developers of VC & your theme will be able to assist, or you could hire a developer to debug this for you and see what goes on on your site & server!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.