Broken media paths in multisite

Hi,
we recently moved 3 blogs into a multisite. Now because we wanted to use the same domains, we couldnt run both sites simultanioulsy, which is why the normal media import failed (download though the XML export).

Now I uploaded the files manually via FTP and used a plugin, to import them back into the library. However, all the imported file links are broken.

Now there seems to be a problem with the redirecting since the media links are http://domain.com/files/2012/04/image.png

The direct link is
http://domain.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/04/image.png
Now... the direct link works, but the other one doesn't.
In the (sub-)blogs settings I set the following settings:
Site url: http://subblog.domain.com/
Upload Path: wp-content/uploads/sites/2
Upload Url path: empty

Now the weird thing though: 3 images do work with the files/ link!?? Their settings dont differ in any way from the broken files.

Now I'm really starting to become desperate. Any solutions?

Kev

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Sub sites don't have their media within the /uploads/ folder they instead go into:

/wp-content/blogs.dir/

Each sub folder is the sites ID

Why did the import fail?

I don't understand why you couldn't and didn't do the import before mapping the domain name?

That way you would have ensure the data was transfered and everything is working before moving the domain name.

Are you using our domain mapping plugin to map in the domain?

I suppose you go through the old site and make it work on another domain or sub domain then do the import properly.

If the site isn't to big you could manually change the paths.

Take care.

• feelix

I know it usually stores it in the blogs.dir, but on this site it stores it in the uploads folder. Don't ask me why, but it does. Newly uploaded files go straight to the uploaded folder under its proper blog ID. I don't see why that should cause a problem though. They are in seperate folders unter /sites/[site ID]/.
    And no I'm not able to update the paths manually, since its over 500 files. And no... I will not set up the multisite again to fix any possible errors in the installation.
    This is not some little girls diary blog that only stores pictures of puppies and cats :wink:, we are talking about my companies intranet, customer portal and website here. Employees are already working with this site. So thats why I can't just reset the site. I'm just saying this, because I've seen to many of those suggestions on forums. :wink:

I can't import everything again because the structure and content has already changed too much. I'd have hundrets of pages that would be double and not up to date.

Any other ideas? I know this is quite a hassle. :slight_frown:

• feelix

Hey just another question... what kind of link should the "upload path" be in the subblogs settings page? I installed Wordpress in an extra directory, so not in the root location of the webserver.

When I login via FTP I see the linux root first, then I go to html to go to the web root.

So do I have to use /html/[WPdirectory]/wp-content/blogs.dir/files/ instead of wp-content/blogs.dir/files as the upload path value?

Thanks for the support so far! :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

So it seems I was off base there in 3.5 they made a subtle change to WordPress. All old installs pre 3.5 still use blogs.dir whereas all new installs post 3.5 now use /uploads/sites/

Not sure how I overlooked that but I did.

Don't ask me why, but it does. Newly uploaded files go straight to the uploaded folder under its proper blog ID. I don't see why that should cause a problem though. They are in seperate folders unter /sites/[site ID]/.

Before realising this I thought it was some change either you or a plugin had done, seems not though.

The brief mention of this change is here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#Uploaded_File_Path

So I suppose check the image links in the DB, if needed you could do a find and replace on paths.

Also work double checking you're using the new htaccess version for 3.5+ As this varies from the version I use as my install was done way before 3.5.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.