Browser has to connect to each sub-site before loading admin pages

I've got a Multisite I've been running a while, and it's started getting these long delays before loading pages of the admin. I noticed that the browser says "Waiting for subsite1.multisite.com..." then it runs through each sub-site/domain on the network, before completing the load of the admin. With 40 or 50 sites on the network, it takes a long time to do that. I could see it needing to do that on certain pages of the network admin, but it does it about 75% of the time on any admin page, including the post editor of individual sub-sites. It's really slowing me down.

I don't have time (yet) to go through and disable all plugins and try to narrow it down to 1... assuming a plugin is the problem at all. So I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before? Any ideas what's causing it, or how I can tell why/what is being called from each sub-site?

It's really annoying. I don't know if this is related, but I was in phpMyAdmin the other day and noticed that for some reason the wp_blogs table does not have all the sub-sites in it. The last 5 or 10 are not in there. I have no idea if this could be related, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

• Tevya

Hey, I wanted you to know I appreciate your feedback and am looking into this more. It turns out that the database I was looking at wasn't the current database, which now resides on a dedicated mySQL server, which I don't have phpMyAdmin access to. So I'm working with my hosting people to get access to that.

I do have a 114MB error_log file in my public_html folder, and 341MB one in my wp-admin folder. Any ideas what I'm looking for if/when I get these beasts opened (I imagine they won't be easy to work with in notepad. Also, am I safe to delete them, so that maybe I can get a much smaller/shorter picture of what's going on over the next few days, rather than who knows how many months of info?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.