Buddy Press and sub communities

This may be a little outside the box, but what I am trying to build is a network of teams. Each sub-domain will be a separate team.
I was under the impression that with BuddyPress and WPMS I could set up team sub sites. From what I have read of the documentation so far it seems that BP is only for the main site.
Should I use BP for the main site and install the proper plug ins for the teams?
The teams will need:
1.See who other members are
2. Private message
3. Join or be in groups
4. Groups need to send out activity notifications.
5. Upload media, pictures and vids
6. List outside links
7. RSS group feeds
8. Needs mobile access.

Should I do this with BP or plug ins?
I have between 25-30 teams now and hoping for many more.

Any suggestions would probably same a lot of testing.

All the best and thanks in advance.
Richard

• aristath

Hello there Richard, I hope you're well today!

This may be a little outside the box, but what I am trying to build is a network of teams. Each sub-domain will be a separate team.

If I understand correctly what you want to do, then I would suggest you take a look at this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-multi-network/
    It may help you achieve what you need.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Richard

I am well, thank you.
    Thank you so much Ari.

I don't need the team posts going to the main site for sure.
    That would cause unbelievable issues.

Will I be able to build one set up with the plug ins and themes I want to use and have the teams sites be ready to go as I create a new site?

Should I install security and spam plug ins before WPMU dash and BP?
    Should I ask these questions separately? lol

Also, I am not sure about the points giving. What is the proper etiquette?
    This answer is worth all my points. Saving me days. I am a pretty generous person and will never get a lifetime membership. :slight_smile:
    Another question that probably should be separate?

If I sound confusing it's 2.30am and I am still up.
    Thanks for all.
    Richard

• aristath

I don't need the team posts going to the main site for sure.
    That would cause unbelievable issues.

Will I be able to build one set up with the plug ins and themes I want to use and have the teams sites be ready to go as I create a new site?

First, you'll need a WordPress Multisite installation. On multisite you can create multiple sites, each site with its own "entity". As such, each site can have a different theme, different pugins enabled etc. The only thing they all have in common is their userbase (quite convenient...).
    Using the plugin I mentioned earlier, you can setup your sites to be social networks on their own, completely independent from each-other.

Should I install security and spam plug ins before WPMU dash and BP?

It doesn't really make any difference... :slight_smile:

Should I ask these questions separately? lol

No need. In fact keeping them all in one place will keep me from hunting-down multiple threads. :wink:

Also, I am not sure about the points giving. What is the proper etiquette?

First of all, there's really no need to give points to staff members. We are already lifetime members! If you find an answer from a forum member helpful you can donate your points to them. Usually 10 points are a goot token of your appreciation.

I am a pretty generous person and will never get a lifetime membership. :slight_smile:

Back when I was a member that's what I used to think... It's actually easier that you think! Don't give up!

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.