Buddy Press Scholar Theme Issues

I have a few issues that I need help with:

Currently using:
Wordpress MU 2.9.1.1
Buddypress 1.2.1
Scholar Theme 1.1.4
Installed In: wp-content/themes/ (using child theme for mods)

I updated to the latest theme version and have the following two issues:

1) I have two "Home" buttons in the navigation menu.

2) I also have a large site navigation menu added to the bottom of my site which we would like to make disappear if possible.

Link to foodblogforum.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Tammie

@twodeuces: Do you have a page called home as that is no longer required in our themes as they all use home.php - there was a forum post about this but it could have got missed. Have you edited the css as that seems a bit away from the default so I think you may be missing a div or have done something to cause it to have that effect. Do you get it if you put on a default theme as I think you maybe won't as it seems something causing issues with the widgets in the footer or another unclosed div.

Having a look though there is definetly something going on with your customisation as the drop down menu also has the arrows dropped further than they are meant to. I'd suggest going through each part checking for missing closed divs and adjusting as you go then you can fix that and the other issues. I will help where I can however with such deep customisation I can mainly only offer advice - which I am happy to so please ask if I can help.

• twodeuces

Missed the forum post about the dropping of the home page. I went to the Reading settings and out of habit, put my home page for the static page and blog for post. Yuck.

I'm looking for the missing </div> as we speak. We added a "wrapper" for the whole site so we could put a border around the site and center it. We didn't want to have the bars flow all the way across the site. Was there a way to do this, but I missed it somewhere?

The only other customization we did was flop the homepage sidebar to the other side and narrowed the header sections. I'll adjust the arrow heights to align them a little better next. I also noticed the gray bar that used to be across the top is missing as well. Did that go away or possible missing div tag?

Thanks,
    twodeuces

• twodeuces

Found the problem.

We had added the extra <div> in the header and footer to allow for the site wrapper. we put them in the child folder and when I updated to the latest version of Scholar, there must have been a change in the header or footer file. Of course the theme automatically pulled the old header and footer files that we had changed. This caused the wp-admin-bar to display down below the page.

How are we are suppose to handle template updates and modifications?

• Tammie

@twodeuces: Fairly sure there wasn't an addition to the footer or header but think you may have been on a few versions behind though. What I personally do with themes is a compare of my own changes that themes sadly it's not a perfect world with child / parent themes but it does give you more freedom so it's a weighing things up as to what works for you.

Our changelog.txt found under docs/ and the release notes for the version should indicate what has changed though and as you would be knowing the theme having done those changes it could indicate if you are impacted or not. I will look into perhaps noting pages that are changed though assuming it doesn't become a long changelog in that sense. Worst case I may start noting under the changelog.txt rather than the actual notes on the change as that seems logical.

• blancdememoire

Thinking while doing works good but with my inexistant skills in programing makes this harder and it is funny that I will learn by erasing. In the mean time if you know wich part of the code I should trash it would be great. I tryed the whole file but this was way to radical.

I'm scared to mess with the code.

I simply want to take away those two menu items, their drop down functions and their sub menu items. At best now as I write I got rid of the titles of the community menu and sub menu + of the category menu title and the rest remained, lil arrow, drop down, hover effect.

I feel like i'm trying to get dry while under water.

• Tammie

@blancdememoire: I'm a little puzzled if you're using buddypress why you'd want to remove the community drop down as without it there would be no way for users to access those parts of buddypress, that aside if you are not using buddypress or indeed don't mind that a percentage of what makes buddypress wouldn't be seen here is what you need to edit.

remove from line 10 to 53 in /includes/main-navigation.php - I'd advise this was done using parent and child themeing but would require changing some paths as not a default file so probably best we just do a theme edit here. Also please remember when you do this any theme updates will overwrite this so keep a backup of the file or as said use the parent and child theme as this will protect you from updates.

• <?php _e( 'Categories', 'bp_scholar' ) ?></p>
      <?php wp_list_categories('orderby=name&title_li=');
      $this_category = get_category($cat);
      if (get_categories($thiscategory->cat_ID) != "") {</p>
      <p> wp_list_categories('orderby=id&show_count=0&title_li=
      &use_desc_for_title=1&child_of='.$this_category->cat_ID);</p>
      <p> }
      ?>
  • <?php _e( 'Community', 'bp_scholar' ) ?>
  • <p> <?php endif; ?></p>
    <p> <li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_MEMBERS_SLUG ) || bp_is_member() ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    /<?php echo BP_MEMBERS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Members', 'buddypress' ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Members', 'buddypress' ) ?></p>
    <p> <?php if ( bp_is_active( 'groups' ) ) : ?>
    <li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_GROUPS_SLUG ) || bp_is_group() ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    /<?php echo BP_GROUPS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Groups', 'buddypress' ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Groups', 'buddypress' ) ?></p>
    <p> <?php endif; ?></p>
    <p> <?php if ( bp_is_active( 'forums' ) && bp_is_active( 'groups' ) && ( function_exists( 'bp_forums_is_installed_correctly' ) && !(int) bp_get_option( 'bp-disable-forum-directory' ) ) && bp_forums_is_installed_correctly() ) : ?>
    <li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_FORUMS_SLUG ) ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    /<?php echo BP_FORUMS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Forums', 'buddypress' ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Forums', 'buddypress' ) ?></p>
    <p> <?php endif; ?></p>
    <p> <?php if ( bp_is_active( 'blogs' ) && bp_core_is_multisite() ) : ?>
    <li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_BLOGS_SLUG ) ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    /<?php echo BP_BLOGS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Blogs', 'buddypress' ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Blogs', 'buddypress' ) ?></p>
    <p> <?php endif; ?></p>
    <p>

I also note you seem to be saying in another post about translation and possibly this is why you want to remove these as I updated on that post these are not hardcoded and infact work with po and mo files so that could solve the issue.

You could of course just edit the titles to be whatever you wanted but just have blank areas isn't really going to work for drop downs but up to you on that one.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.