Buddypress 1.2 theme updates: business and magazine

Business and Magazine are now compatible with BuddyPress 1.2. From now on unless you are using the updates to these themes will not work. A key point is around the templates. You will see new instructions under install.txt however I'll cover them here. They main key is if you are in your child using home.php it will not work for the new theme structure you have to set your templates as outlined here:

How to set up the home page template:

By default it will either show activity or your blog posts as your home page.
You can change this however by using the following steps:

To set activity as your home page:
1. Make a page called blog and do not select a template leave it as default
2. Under settings > general select front page display to A static page
3. Set the front page to activity stream
4. Set the posts page to blog

Now you will have it using the activity stream as the front page

To set the custom home page template:

1. Make a page called home under your pages and select to use the homepage template make sure you set in the page order for this to be your first page showing - you have to make sure you have the home page as your the lowest page number for this to work so make sure you give all your other pages a page number
2. Make a page called blog and do not select to use a template just leave it as default
3. Go to settings > reading and set front page displays to A static page
4. Set the front page to use homepage
5. Set the posts page to use blog

Now you will have it using the home page template as your home page

We hope you enjoy these updates and BuddyPress 1.2. Our other themes will be updated shortly.

• twodeuces
    • Flash Drive

Let me just say thank you for getting the ball rolling with these updates!

Here's what has happened for me so far.

After upgrading buddyPress to version 1.2 I updated the Magazine Theme to version 1.0.7.

I now have BuddyPress is ready. "You'll need to activate a BuddyPress compatible theme to take advantage of all of the features." - Alert showing.

Following the instructions, I am also getting the following

Warning: printf() [function.printf]: Too few arguments in /home/mfb/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-magazine/functions.php on line 200

Also when setting front page to either "Activity Stream" or "Homepage", I am still getting post listed on home page.

Any ideas where to start looking?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@twodeuces: Did you remove entirely the old version as you have to do a clean install and reactivate. Also did you do a clean install of buddypress without using the backwards compatible plugin as that isn't needed. You have to create the home page template in order for the home page to work as per my instructions it won't work with a home.php in your directory which if you just copied the files into that directory of the old theme you would have.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@twodeuces: no problem :slight_smile: Hopefully that sticky should help others too apologies for not mentioning it in my announcement. 1.2 has seen a ton of template changes so much so it's required a lot of theme changes for our prior themes. Least they claim that the next releases won't focus so much on themes :slight_smile:

• mala
    • New Recruit

Hi James,

I've gone through all the steps - upgraded BuddyPress, downloaded the themes, did the updates in the MU plugins folder.

Here are the two problems I'm having with 2 separate themes:

Business: I can't figure out how to get the "Latest News" section to have a blue background the way it does in the demo. The only thing that is blue (or whatever colour I choose from the pre-set) are the text and buttons. The photo and feed that run horizontally aren't showing. I am only getting a vertical feed as I would normally with WP. I'd like to get the layout exactly like the photo here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-business-theme

Maybe I'm not seeing an option for the page templates? If there is an option - where is it?

Next: Corporate
    Looked like everything was great (just couldn't figure out how to unbold the title), but when I tried to use the /register page I'm getting a header error on a certain line for that theme.

A bigger issue that I noticed in the upgrade of BuddyPress is that when I go into Blogs>Edit> there isn't an option anymore to select a certain theme/s for users. So it looks as though everyone is getting the same options including the default buddypress themes.

Would love to figure this all out asap.

Thanks! Let me know if there are any specific questions - I've been at this all day with no luck - and I thought signing up here was the 'easier' option :slight_smile:

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@mala: Corporate isn't updated for 1.2 yet so that is why that won't work. As for Business I have a question about where you have installed the themes - can you give me the path please as you mention mu-plugins and themes shouldn't go there. You have to also set the home template up as described in my initial post here. I am working on a method to avoid having to do that but for now that is the way you get a page.

For the blogs > edit option I'm fairly sure this is either to do with buddyPress and not our themes. If you just have the new default 1.2 up do you still get that issue? I'm unaware of that as a bug however it could be. Did you completely remove the theme files before updating to 1.2 ones for BuddyPress as you can't just copy them into the directories you have to remove the old ones.

Apologies for not having a direct solution but I need to diagnose this.

• raymondmannion
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi,
    I followed the upgrade instructions and everything is working great. Unfortunately, the member profile information doesn't show on the http://tkdunion.org/members/rmannion page anymore?

In fact, I don't even know how to see that information other than to manually type the url
    http://tkdunion.org/members/rmannion/profile/public

I'm assuming this is a change for bp 1.2? Or, am I missing some of this home.php information that you've put here.

I'm on wpmu 2.9.2 and bp 1.2.1 using a child of the Magazine theme version 1.1.7

The only edits ( and the only files in my child folder ) are to home.php, header.php, and the sidebars.

I switched back to the unedited magazine theme (parent) and the appearance is the same.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@raymondmannion: Can you try turning off all plugins and just using the pink or default without styling (pink would be easier as not hurt your settings). However, I'm not sure what you mean by profile so if you can try putting on the default buddypress theme and seeing if there is a difference you can maybe let me know. There are a ton of profile / activity stream changes in buddypress 1.2 and upwards so it could be you are referring to those changes. I just want to see if a) it's one of your plugins b) it's something missing in magazine in default c) what you are referring to. Home page will just work no need to link up the template or anything it just works so long as you've got nothing set under reading settings.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@raymondmannion: I just reviewed this and do see a difference in magazine behaviour I've just done an update which I think if I have the right end of the stick about what you're after work for you. Let me know if the latest version of buddypress Magazine works for you on this.

• raymondmannion

Hiya Tammie,
    Thanks for the quick update. I guess maybe it's just the way the theme is designed. I don't see it on here either:
    http://buddypressthemes.org/members/admin/

Not sure which version of the magazine theme that is.

I just don't see any way to view the user's profile information - their name, country, language, etc. All the buddypress profile field information that they fill out on registration.

I can see it if I type the url domain.tld/members/username/profile/public

I don't think it has anything to do with plugins, but I disabled a whole bunch and it didn't make a difference.

Thanks,
    Ray

• raymondmannion

Umm, sorry Tammie, I hate to nitpick, but wouldn't the link to "Profile" go under the members name rather than under "Me"?

In the attached screen shot, I'm logged in as myself - rmannion and I'm viewing "atcmaster". The link to his profile shows up under "Me". I think it should show up under "atcmaster".

Also - for what it's worth - my members are not very tech savvy so I end up maintaining their profiles, having links to change their avatar and edit their profile would be really helpful.

I can certainly override this in the elegantly designed child theme but thought it might make sense as a standard.

Cheers

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@raymondmannion: I won't be updating magazine for that currently as it works just like the default theme that one doesn't give the other users profile by the navigation so if you could edit the child theme that would probably be best in this instance. I will note it for review as an enhancement though.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.