Buddypress 1.6 upgrade problem with members directory

Since upgrading to BP 1.6, when I go to the members directory and try to change it from it from "Order by: Last Active" to "Order by: Alphabetical" or "Order by: Newly Registered," nothing happens. When I firebug the page, I get the following:

TypeError: jQuery(".bs_lightbox").colorbox is not a function
[Break On This Error]

jQuery(".bs_lightbox").colorbox();

is this the source of the problem? If not, what is?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wadams92101,

Thank you for the additional feedback and input, it is greatly appreciated.

Have you upgraded to Buddy press 1.6.1?

I believe wholeheartedly that what is going on is just another Buddy Press round of bugs.

Please note that it was months in between the Buddy Press 1.5.6 release and the 1.6 release in which they openly admit to hundreds of bugfixes

Reference: http://codex.buddypress.org/releases/version-1-6/

It can be pretty challenging to support other peoples work, but we do our best here to help you with any WordPress issues at all. But this level of issues are almost impossible to pinpoint and address without being one of their coders.

Have you been able to find out anything from Buddy press concerning this issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• wadams92101
    • The Crimson Coder

Yes, I upgraded to 161 and still doesn't work. Also, with regards to my previous post, I realize it must have sounded pretty disjointed. I thought I had also posted that my delete button in my activity stream was not working. However I discovered that it is working if I right click it as above. I wonder if the two issues are related. Seems like there is an ajax function or something that is not working since both functions don't involve page refreshing to work. Moreover, I just noticed that in Firefox (but not in Chrome), if I right click the page and select "reload," after selecting "Order by: Alphabetical," I can finally access the alphabetically listed authors. Does that give you any ideas as to what might be causing this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wadams92101,

Thank you for the additional feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

Any chance we can get the URL to the exact page this is happening on so that we can give it a go and also examine the source code directly?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wadams92101,

Unfortunately we do not have a PM system and the URL was for the lead developer to take a peek at therefore I will refer this ticket to him so you can send it directly to the lead developer if he is so inclined.

Thank you for your patience while I see about getting him @Aaron in here to take a peek at what appears to be a Buddy press 1.6.1 issue.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wadams92101,

Following up on the advice from our lead developer it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wadams92101,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

What about the theme? Many themes come with JS built into them, did you possibly check to see if the conflict is possibly with the theme?

What is the name of the theme you are using?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• wadams92101
    • The Crimson Coder

Still can't trace the issue. Though it seems like it might be a plugin conflict, I haven't been able to trace it to the plugin. To recap, BP functions that take place without refreshing the entire page are not working, including the Add Link, Post, and Delete buttons. Another oddity I noticed is that clicking delete brings up the prompt "are you sure?" but only on the site that I'm having a problem on. On Dev site, where I'm not having this problem, I don't get this prompt. Both sites run Genesis News child themes, so I don't think that its a theme problem. I get the following from Chrome's Inspect Element:

Uncaught TypeError: Property 'undefined' of object #<Object> is not a function global.js:1264
    Profile "Profile 1" started.
    Is that the error at issue and if so, what do I do with this info?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wadams92101,

Very interesting indeed, but I thought we would have found the plugin conflict when we did this procedure here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-16-upgrade-problem-with-members-directory#post-259503

And performing standard troubleshooting protocol as mentioned in the post does not uncover the plugin conflict?

Bizarre to say the least. I am wondering if it possible for the rare triangle of plugin conflict as well?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• wadams92101
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks Joe. I have some 70 plugins so testing for a conflict takes some time. I have done it once with no results. If there is no alternative, I'll try again. Since much of the conflict or problem pertains to WPMUDEV's Activity Plus plugin functions, it may be helpful to know if there any known plugin conflicts with Activity Plus?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings wadams92101,

Thank you for your additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

Since much of the conflict or problem pertains to WPMUDEV's Activity Plus plugin functions, it may be helpful to know if there any known plugin conflicts with Activity Plus?

With the Activity Plus plugin deactivated does the issue disappear?

I have some 70 plugins so testing for a conflict takes some time.

To expedite things even when I am using my test production servers that are plugin laden, using FTP I just rename the plugins folder something else like pluginsold and then recreate the plugins folder. Then I upload (FTP) the plugin that is to be tested and go forward from there to see if it works correctly - no issues.

Of course if it does then I know for certain that there is indeed a plugin conflict.

Then of course I delete the plugin and the test folder after obtaining my results and rename the pluginsold folder back to plugins.

Please advise regarding the Activity Plus plugin deactivation and if the issue still exists with Members Directory.

Look forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• wadams92101
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Joe, I don't think Activity Plus is the perpetrator. Rather its the victim. The Activity Plus ajax/js functions aren't working either. That's why I was asking if there are any known plugin conflicts that Activity Plus has with other plugins.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.