BuddyPress Activity Plus file formats.

how can i change the settings for this plugin?

according to the instructions if i go to settings > media there should be something, there isnt.

when i tried to add a pdf to the site it wouldnt allow it, so i need to know how i can add support for pdf, doc, docx, ppt etc.

my site is private group and we need to be able to share documents with each other.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

BuddyPress activity plus only supports adding images out of the box. It is basically designed to add images as files in the activity stream.

This however would be a nice idea for a feature request.

Let me tag our lead developer @vladislav on this thread to see if he has got any plans to add that in a future release.

Cheers, PC

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The BuddyPress Activity Plus plugin used to work with the BuddyPress group documents plugin to allow other file types upload, so activating the group documents plugin opened up another option and a separate documents uploader. Unfortunately, it appears that the group documents plugin hasn’t been actively developed anymore, but there has been some efforts to make it compatible with recent WP/BP releases, which can hopefully help: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/group-documents-plugin

• tfbc
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

thanks for the reply, yes i had the group documents plugin, then i upgraded to bp 1.7 and now it does not work lol

i have posted to the last developer at

http://lenasterg.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/buddypress-group-documents-for-bp-1-5-and-wp-3-3/

this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-docs/

only lets a person create their own documents and share, not upload different formats.

I need a buddypress solution which will allow me to share all specified file types

something that would allow me to update mime types and all that

I mostly deal with pdf, but on occasion microsoft office formats as well.

docx, doc, pptx, ppsx, ppt etc.

Just does not seem to be any kind of plugin out there for wordpress that will allow this for file sharing other than buddypress-group-documents

thanks

• tfbc

Just did another search and found a plugin called buddydrive

i added it to my site, but seeing issues with the buddypress corporate theme and doesnt seem to have any options, i will have to play with it some more, disable plugins to see if others interfere etc.

• tfbc

so it seems its directly related to the buddypress corporate theme, I disabled all plugins aside from bp 1.7 and buddydrive and still had the issue.

when i switched to buddypress default theme it seems to work.

here are 2 screenshots of both themes.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

so it seems its directly related to the buddypress corporate theme, I disabled all plugins aside from bp 1.7 and buddydrive and still had the issue.

when i switched to buddypress default theme it seems to work.

here are 2 screenshots of both themes.

If you want to get that troubleshooted then unfortunately it will have to go in a separate thread so tht we can assist you better on the same.

Just does not seem to be any kind of plugin out there for wordpress that will allow this for file sharing other than buddypress-group-documents

I found one, bit it does not say if its compatible with BuddyPress.

Here is a link : http://wpeden.com/product/hotfiles-file-sharing-plugin-for-wordpress/

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers

PC

• tfbc

Thank you for trying to assist, I was able to find a solution, for those who have this issue as well

buddydrive requires buddypress 1.7, being that buddypress 1.7 had now changed their format for themes and no longer requires buddypress template pack. I had to create a functions.php and place it within the theme’s child folder

<?
    function fixes_buddydrive_for_template_pack() {

add_theme_support( 'buddypress' );

}
    add_action( 'after_setup_theme', 'fixes_buddydrive_for_template_pack' );

?>

this made it so it was not broken anymore.

• nomadone
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I think a tutorial covering the possibilities which exist for files, documents etc would be very valuable as it seems a very common and quite a confusing area.

I have personally tried buddydrive, buddypress docs, buddypress folders and tried to get documents to show in activity streams or group RSS feeds without success.

It seems one has to piece together too many separate bits of functionality each missing some crucial aspect of what would commonly be needed with regards to files and documents.

Whoever develops something really comprehensive in this area can definitely make some bucks selling a complete document and file management solution.

It should contain:

– Ability to upload multiple file type

– Have some kind of document revision feature

– allow for group collaboration on documents

– allow for posting updates to activity and RSS feeds when documents and files are added or updated

– of course have all the revision control & group privacy expected

I think the Buddypress Group Docs plugin would be a good base to build on top of with added file upload built into it and file revision of some kind as well as good integration with Activity and Feeds.

Having the ability to share documents and files with other users across a buddypress community would be great as well.

Anyone want to start a discussion which pulls together enough pieces of functionality and user experience to motivate for something comprehensive to be developed?

We could even each contribute for a developer to have it created and become part funders?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back.

You are right with the tutorial. It can be a great post.

Anyone want to start a discussion which pulls together enough pieces of functionality and user experience to motivate for something comprehensive to be developed?

Why don’t you start it ? We would chime in and other members of the community can add their thoughts as well. We can call our lead developers for their thoughts and see what can be done to make things better and easy to do !

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.