buddypress activity plus image "preview" NOT showing in activity stream

Hello Community!!
1st off I would like to say I love being a part of the WPMUDEV community! I will be a member for the rest of my LIFE!!!!! Ok, now that I have the kudos out of the way.

I have buddypress installed on one of my websites (adult)that is using a Network. I currently have BPAP activated on (2) of my sites. This is what happens when attempt to upload the following:
1.Links-Says there is a error and process cannot be completed.
2.Images-Uploads with no issues.
3.GIF's-They upload fine, but do NOT show in the activity stream. It only shows a little "dot" where the picture "preview" should be. When I click the little "dot" the GIF opens fine, but it always shows a "preview" in the feed right after I post a GIF.
I have this plugin installed on another one of my websites and it works just fine. Could you help me troubleshoot my issues?
-I de-activated ALL my plugins and that did not work.
-I deleted it completely from my server and uploaded a fresh install and that didn't work.
-I installed a previously released version of the plugin and that didn't work.
I am hopeless at this point. Any insight would be great!
Thank you in advance for your time.
Love, Peace and Hair grease
neetGEEK

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @neat_geek

I hope you are well today and thank you for loving WPMU DEV so much! :slight_smile:

Are you using a single or multisite install of WordPress? BuddyPress version?
    Host? Shared, VPS, Dedicated? As you mention GIF's, does it work with .jpg or .png at all?
    Can you check your error log please paste the contents here (if it's quite large, please use something like paste bin).

Which theme are you using? Are both sites using the same theme? The one where it works and the one where it doesn't?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hey Hey Jack!

Thanks for your prompt response!
    Ok here is the rundown! I apologize for the lack of info, getting used 2 the forum jizz.
    1. I am using Multi Site and the latest version of buddypress 1.7
    2. I have just converted my hosting account from GoDaddy to Hostgator.
    My website that is having the issues, is hosted on Hostgator, the website with BPAP
    currently with NO issues is still hosted on GoDaddy. I am on a SHARED hosting
    plain with Hostgator.
    3. As I listed above, yes I am able to upload pics with no problem.
    4. I tested the link situation again, and loading was fine. No problems with links
    posting in the activity stream.
    5. I am using the Custom Community theme on both sites using BPAP.

Thank you again for your help! Let me know if there is anymore info I can provide you
    neatGEEK

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @neat_geek

No worries, if we need anymore info, we'll always ask :slight_smile:

Thank you for all the additional information it is much appreciated :slight_smile:

How did you transfer the site to HostGator account? As it seems like this could be a problem, maybe a database issue or something else, plugins and theme wise are both sites a replica of each other?

Was there anything in your error log for the site your having problems with?

Can I have a link to the site in question please?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Morning Jack!

Well Hostgator did it for me. I gave them my username and password, and they merged the information for me. Both of the websites are a replica of each other. The only difference, is there is only (1) website using the BPAP. The website I am having the problem with, uses it on (2) websites. Both websites have Multi site installation.

My website is extremely adult and I wanted to respect the community by not posting it here. Very, very taboo.

If there was a way I could provide this info privately I would be more than happy to.
    Additional Info with hostgator: When they changed my website there were some images that didn't appear, but they fixed it. IF in fact that could be a issue, how would I resolve that? Would I have to contact Hostgator.

Hope u have a great day Jack!
    Thank u so much
    neatGEEK

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Happy Friday Jack,

Just wanted to check on the status of this plugin. I noticed that a lot of people are having the same issues. Could this be a compatibility issue with the latest version of Buddypress 1.7? I am waiting patiently for the development, you all have not let me down so far. I hope good things come for the weekend, and we will see a update very soon.

Have a great weekend Community
    neatGEEK

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @neat_geek

I hope you are well today, very sorry for the delay.

Do you have any links to the threads where other people are also having this problem? I can then pass them onto the developer :slight_smile:
    I've looked but for some reason can't find them, so if you had some links that would be great!

Thank you for the additional information as well I've never personally used HostGator myself, but I don't believe this would cause your issue, can you paste your .htaccess file please?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and again very sorry in the delay :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hey there Jack!
    So very glad to see a response from you. Here is the link to the forum where People are talking about BuddyPress Activity Plus plugin.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-buddypress-activity-plus-impossible-to-upload-a-picture-and-add-link-not-working?replies=24
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/not-working-with-large-image-size?replies=2
    http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/buddypress-activity-plus

I hope i posted those links correctly. They are located in the support forum for this plugin on Wordpress.org
    Here is my .htaccess file.

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

# BEGIN wtwp_cache
    # END wtwp_cache

# BEGIN wtwp_security
    # END wtwp_security
    AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php

Also I was reading some of the other comments in the forum and they came with the same conclusion about the uploads. When I try to upload a picture its fine (small files) but when you try to upload a big image, it just shows the "dot" that I was telling you about.
    Have a great evening and thanks again for responding.

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

omg yes!!!! thank you so much for replying. I still cannot see the preview in the activity stream of the GIFS i post.
    Also i tested this plugin on a new fresh install of wordpress. I didnt activate any plugins besides
    buddypress
    activity plus

I had the same problem that a lot of people are having. I have no idea what to do, but have been unable to post GIF files on any of my sites with the plugin installed.
    have a great weekend and thanks again for ur help
    neatGEEK

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

As noted in the previous threads, my website is adult. So in respecting the community, GIFs or the website link cannot be posted here.
    Also noted in the previous threads, I have tested this plugin on the following:

1. Fresh installation of WordPress on a brand new site (hosted on GoDaddy) with NO other plugins installed. (did the same thing)This website is a Multisite website.
    2. I have a EXACT replica website of the one BAP first start giving me issues on and the GIFs post just fine. The only difference from the replica website and the website I'm having the issues with is Buddypress is only functioning on 1 blog. (Multisite is setup)
    3. Tried posting GIFs under 1mb. These items did show in the activity stream (as a preview)

I have also posted my .htaccess code because I was asked to by a another staff member (in previous threads)

I'm wondering if it has something to do with having BAP on multiple blogs in the network? Because I never had this problem before I installed Buddypress on multiple blogs on my network.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your time and attention. Have a beautiful day
    neatGEEK

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hello Aristhath! Can anyone shed some light on the development of this plugin? I am still unable to preview images after they are posted. GIFs especially. I never had a problem with this before in the past. Really wanna keep using it, but I have no idea what to do. Is there a premium version of this plugin? Will that make a difference?
    Have a beautiful day community!
    neatGEEK

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hiya @neat_geek

I hope you are well today, sorry for the extreme delay on this.

If you are using the version from here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/media-embeds-for-buddypress-activity/ you already have the premium version :slight_smile:

Which version number do you have installed? This plugin was updated a couple of days ago with some bugfixes, this should resolve your problems, could you let me know :slight_smile:

Thank you and have a fantastic day!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hey there Jack!!

Hope your having a awesome weekend, although it's over. I am still having problems with this plugin. I am wondering if it has something to do with changing my hosting provider. I have a lot of websites on GoDaddy and the website I am having the trouble with seems to ONLY be on the site hosted with Hostgator. Could this somehow be a issue?
    I have updated the plugin and ONLY on this website am I still having this issue. Is there a file that I need to edit with Hostgator that maybe GoDaddy doesn't have in their system? Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Have a beautiful week and thanks for the follow up.
    luv, peace and hairGREASE
    neatGEEK

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Ok Jack I need your help!!

I was doing some testing on my sites and I have come to a new theory.
    I am using the Custom Community theme and I think this could also be the reason I can not review my GIFs.

When I changed my theme, I was able 2 upload a gif and see the preview with no problem. In actuality the GIF was moving in the preview, which this is exactly what I want it to do. But his only happened when I changed it to Wordpress default theme, or the Buddypress Default theme. When I switch it back to the Custom Community theme, I see the GIF i previously posted, but have the SAME issue of posting something new.

2. I also changed all my multisites back to the default Wordpress theme, installed Buddypress Template Pack and reactivated Buddypress. I was asked a question, did I want to disable my CSS. I didn't quite know what that meant, so I did NOT do it. IS that what I want to do?

3. I do NOT know of any other theme that gives me the features as this one does. I do have the premium version. Can you help me fix this without changing my theme?

Your help would be soooo appreciated. Have a beautiful day
    neatGEEK

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @neat_geek

I hope you are well today and sorry for the delay with my reply, thank you for the additional information. As this looks like it could be a theme issue, could you send me the file please?

You can send it to contact(at)wpmudev.org and put in the subject line, Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.