Buddypress Activity Plus Thumbnails NOT SHOWING in activity feed. HELP!!

Hello Community!!

I have had this on going saga with BAP. I love this plugin and it is mandatory for ALL of my WordPress/Buddypress membership sites. I have many questions and no answers. So maybe someone can help me.

Issue: I am unable to view the thumbnail of .gif images I post to my activity time line. There is a box with a “X” instead, no matter what browser I am using. When I click the “X”, I am allowed to see the .gif. My only issue, is not being able to see the actual “thumbnail” in the activity feed. (hopefully that made sense). I ONLY have this issue with .gif images, which are a HUGE part of my membership websites. I am able to upload .jpg, etc files just fine. I have done the following to pinpoint the problem.

1. Installed BAP on a fresh updated version of WordPress and Buddypress with NO other plugins added.

2. Use Buddypress Default Theme.

Now this is what I have concluded. I currently have multiple websites hosted on GoDaddy and Hostgator. When I perform the above task on GoDaddy, BAP works absolutely fine. But when I did this on my Hostgator website, I got the horrible “X”. So there is obviously something I need to add to make this display correctly on the Hostgator hosted website. Does anyone know what that might be and where it needs to be added? Attached is a screenshot of the error I am receiving. I really like using two separate hosting companies since I have so many websites. In the event one company has downtime, my other sites will be productive.

Thank you in advance for your time community.

Have a beautiful week!

neatGEEK

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi neatGEEK,

Thank you for your reply and sharing the site link.

Could you please check whether the image 1_0-74518800-1394077493_garfield-bpfbt.gif exist in your site on the following path?

barebackprincess.com/media/uploads/bpfb/

Are you protecting your site admin area?

whenever i try to access barebackprincess.com/wp-admin it redirects to barebackprincess.com/not_found

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking “Grant Access” button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hello Vinod,

Wow thank you soo soo much for your speedy replies. Great hope of getting this issue resolved. I have sent a private message to contact (at) wpmudev.org and put attn: Vinod Dalvi. I removed the Better WP Security from my website, but not sure if that granted you the full access you needed. I tried to do it the other way from the Dashboard, but was unsuccessful. So please check your email for the login and password.

Have a beautiful Day Vinod!

neatGEEK

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hello Vladislav,

I’m not sure what your asking me to do but this is what I tried.

I uploaded the same .gif via the media uploads, then added the .gif to my activity feed and got the same error. What does GD library mean?

Thank you so much for assisting Vinod and I in this matter, it has plagued me for almost a year now, I have been unable to use this plugin.

Have a great weekend

neatGEEK!

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi neatGEEK,

Thank you for sending me login details.

I have tested on my test site using latest version of BuddyPress Activity Plus plugin and it worked fine successfully uploading GIF image.

Hi Vladislav,

I have tested on the site barebackprincess.com uploading GIF images using regular media uploads and it gets uploaded successfully.

Further troubleshooting i have also found that the GIF image gets posted successfully using BuddyPress Activity Plus "Add Image URL" feature but not when i use upload GIF file. See it here http://barebackprincess.com/activity/

When uploading image it displays following Waring messages in the console ( See the attached screenshot ). I also get same warning messages when uploading image but it gets uploaded successfully on my test site.

Please advise.

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hello Vinod,

Thank you for testing my website. This is the same issue I am having. In case of a member uploading a picture, they ONLY have this method of opening a file. I do not allow back end access to my website. So I need that function to work. I need people to be able to upload images they have saved on their computer and add it to the activity feed via Buddypress Activity Plus. Now as I stated before, when I test this with my GoDaddy account, it works just fine Vinod, but when I attempt the same testing on my Hostgator site, it doesn’t work via the “media uploads”.

So with us pin-pointing that issue, is there a code I can add to my Hostgator files, or anywhere that will allow me to get the same result as my GoDaddy website?

Thank you for testing my website and letting me know the issue DOES in fact exist.

Also one more question: Does anyone know what the error message means that you illustrated in the screen shot?

Have a beautiful weekend Gentlemen

And I more than appreciate your help

neatGEEK

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

Hello Vinod!

Hope that you are well. Were you ever able to find a resolution to this issue?i I was just following up to see if there was. Thank you again for your time and efforts to help me.

I hope you are having a great week!

neatGEEK

• neat_geek
    • Flash Drive

@vinod Hello there! Is there any resolution for this issue. Its been quite a few months, I have tested the same thing on other sites I have just created and I have the same problem. I have consumed hundreds of hours on this plugin with no resolution. I have been scouting the support pages for the plugin on WordPress.org and there are a lot of people with the same problem. Should I give up @vinod? Please give me some guidance on this issue. I haven;t heard from anyone and I have reached out to everyone regarding this ongoing issue. Thank you for listening.

Have a beautiful week

neatGEEK

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi neatGEEK,

This question is Hostgator specific.

Are you hosting your site on Hostgator?

Could you please explain me your problem so that i can help you to resolve it?

Also this thread is old so could you please open a new thread for your new question referring this thread. This helps to prevent any confusion (for us) as I’m sure you understand.

This might also help other members looking for a similar answer. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.