Buddypress activity stream auto-fresh plugin?

You know, like how facebook works.... new content shows up automatically at the top of the stream without any need to refresh the page. Something like this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/rs-buddypress-activity-refresh/ (but actually works and doesn't conflict with my other plugins which this little ditty did for me, unfortunately...) So, yeah, I'm in the market for a WPMUdev version of this bad boy.... unless one ALREADY exists, hmmmmm??? :slight_smile:

I can't imagine this isn't a popular request, but I also can't believe it's not butter, it tastes SO much like it!

• derusion
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

You didn't read my post all the way through did you, lol :wink: I already referenced that link and mentioned it wasn't compatible with my site. It actually broke the Buddypress Fun theme. Once I disabled it, the theme allowed me to click the "load more" button, and my permalinks for "view" and "activity" started working again. I'm not sure most of the users of that plugin are aware of some of its faults.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi derusion,

Very sorry I totally missed that one portion of your post! I actually read right around it, likely because I was eager to find a solution, as it's a very cool concept.

I'll have a look at that plugin's compatibility with BP Fun and see what I can find there.

Cheers,
    David

• derusion

hahahaha, no worries!

It was a great plugin with my old theme, but my old theme "Frisco" had display issues, was very clunky and used too much screen realestate. It's really hard finding a good clean compatible theme these days.

Yeah, when the plugin was enabled, the "load more" button at the bottom of the activity stream would no longer function for BP Fun. When I disabled it, everything started working fine again.

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

derusion, is you still have the "view" permalinks, it sounds like you are still using BP 1.2.x. Those were removed in BP 1.5 and longer comments are now truncated with a [read more...] link that ajaxes the remainder of the comment in. Anyhow, that plugin has been updated for BP 1.5. I'm finding a lot of plugins that get brought up to the new 1.5 version of BP aren't backwards compatible. The jump to 1.5 had so many changes that it causes these kinds of problems.

I did download the plugin and try it out on my production site and it worked very smoothly. In fact, now it enables me to leave my activity page open and just watch the stuff roll in. Very elegant.

I'm using WP 3.2.1 with BP 1.5 with WPMU DEV's BP Corporate theme.

• derusion

Here are my site details:

I'm using Buddypress 1.5.1 and Wordpress 3.2.1 ... checked and all my plugins are updated. Theme is BuddyPress Fun 1.3.9

Akismet version 2.5.3
    All-in-One Event Calendar Plugin Version 1.0.9
    bbPress Version 2.0
    BuddyBar Widget Version 0.15
    BuddyPress v. 1.5.1
    BuddyPress Activity Comment Notifier Version 1.0.3
    BuddyPress Activity Plus Version 1.2.1
    BuddyPress Album Version 0.1.8.11
    BuddyPress Docs Version 1.1.15
    BuddyPress Like Version 0.0.8
    BuddyPress Mobile Version 1.5.2.3
    BuddyPress Private Messages for Friends Only Version 1.1
    BuddyPress Template Pack Version 1.2
    BuddyPress Usernames Only Version 0.58
    Custom Login Version 0.9.4
    Flash Video Player with HTML5 Version 1.2
    MediaElement.js - HTML5 Audio and Video Version 2.2.5
    oEmbed for BuddyPress Version 0.6-beta
    oEmbed for Comments Version 0.6
    podPress Version 8.8.10.12
    Private BuddyPress Version 1.0.4
    W3 Total Cache Version 0.9.2.4
    WordPress Hashcash Version 4.6
    WP-DBManager Version 2.63
    WP-Polls Version 2.62
    WP Best Practices Version 1.2
    WP Widget Cache Version 0.25.4

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya derusion,

As Saunt said, if you could have a look at a plugin conflict of some sort that'll definitely help here as I just tested the refresh out on a site and was able to get auto-refreshed updates.

Have to say it's incredibly neat, I never tried this plugin before.

Cheers,
    David

• derusion

Exactly! I think there are so many cool plugins giving you features people seldom consider using... and UNTIL they use it, don't realize it's value... so they will likely never come on here requesting them. They won't know how valuable it is until they try it and see it for themselves.

I did the plugin dance so I have nothing running but BP Fun and RS Activity Stream, and the "load more" at the bottom still doesn't work. The stream plugin works FINE........ but if you scroll down to the bottom of the page of that activity stream and click "load more" it will not do it.

Switching themes works though... it works perfectly with the default theme. It also works well with the Frisco theme (which is what I used to use for a couple months.) It does not, however, work perfectly with the BP Fun theme (which I currently use and much prefer to Frisco.)

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi derusion,

There's got to be something different between your site and my test site that accounts for this as I'm not seeing any issues when clicking the Load More link. It loads more content when I press it.

I've not tested on a Multisite as yet, are you on a Multisite?

Cheers,
    David

• ericslangley
    • The Incredible Code Injector

+1 for this plugin. I looked at RS BuddyPress Activity Refresh but it has these issues:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-rs-buddypress-activity-refresh-two-serious-issues?replies=1

1. When the plugin refreshes an activity feed on any other page than the main Activity page it actually changes the entire feed into the main activity feed. So if i'm on the "Activity" tab on one of my members' profile and the refresh happens, his/her entire personal activity feed changes into the main activity feed for the entire community. This is obviously unacceptable and hopefully a compatibility issue with any of the latest three releases of BP (1.5.2, 1.5.3 or 1.5.4) rather than an actual intended feature.

2. When the refresh happens it takes any reply being written to any update in the activity feed with it and you have to start over. This can and will most likely irritate members sooner or later.

~eric

@ericslangley

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.