Buddypress and Edu-Clean – complete fail. Works perfectly with different host, complete fail on GoDa

So, I did a site I host with Network Solutions last month using Edu-Clean and Buddypress. It works flawlessly. Did the exact same set-up on GoDaddy, and it is completely unusable. When you go to the forum page created by Buddypress, you are redirected to 'Home'. I actually went back and wiped my database, and still no joy. As I re-did the site from the database up, obviously, I don't have other plug-ins active. Buddypress and bbPress only.

I did a site using the Marketpress plug-in a few months ago, and had a complete failure with GoDaddy.com. I moved the site to Network Solutions, and all worked perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

Please, check it and see for yourself: http://jmbrew.com/
(yes, I know the theme is jacked up at the moment – it works with the design in progress that I haven't bothered updating as the site is completely dysfunctional otherwise).

No forum, no topics listed, though I created both a topic and a forum. WTF?

Possible hint: When I was working with the last version (before burning the database) I had issues with Marketpress Grid settings. The CSS included id #custom, but the theme required class .custom. I know, this is so unrelated, but this is really the only thing I have been able to find that sets these sites apart, other than my host.

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello camparoo,

This is strange, I mean I know Godaddy is not the best, but that couldn't be an issue. or can it be? Can you check the version of PHP and MySQL versions on both hosts? I know its lame to ask, but I assume you are running on latest versions of WordPress.

You say nothing appears on your forums, this cannot be a CSS issue.

Checkout the requirements for BuddyPress: http://buddypress.org/about/requirements/

That could only be the possible issue if you say everything else is the same. Can you let me know?

• aecnu

Greetings camparoo,

Hosting does make all the difference in the world as big as night and day.

One of the possibilities that working with Go Daddy Hosting can be so challenging is their non localhost setup for the databases.

Another can be the default cap they place on php memory plus many other possibilities.

Even in the hosting world the general rule of you get what you pay for applies and I would bet that your network solutions hosting does not separate the database server from the web server or do they?

Unfortunately people tend to pick the cheapest thing they can matching up the unlimited sales rhetoric (which is not unlimited) and megabytes comparisons with total disregard for the actual configuration and do not know the downside until they try to in fact work within it.

That is my two cents and take on the truth of it all.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings camparoo,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• camparoo

Sorry! Didn't mean to leave this hanging. OK, I have one client with a GoDaddy Premier account, and this works perfectly for him. For other client, without Premier account, it never worked. I spent a good deal of time with customer support, and they gave me completely useless info and then said "Sorry, we don't know how to fix it". Lots of help. So, I moved the whole dog and pony show to Network Solutions. It works perfectly. Whatever...

Thanks for help and input!