Buddypress and Marketpress use case question

Hi there

We own a company that is the middleman in a very niched market of product sellers and buyers on our books. We take a fee for each transaction through our books.

We have had interest from potential sellers and buyers that we can only reach through an online presence. We also see this as an opportunity to strengthen our network of buyers and sellers through the social interacion that Buddypress can give us.

I have the following 3 questions that I hope you can clarify:

Q1. Is it possible to set up Buddypress and Marketpress for the following use case, and if so, which plugins would do the trick?

a. Product seller signs up for an account on our website, which would be a Buddypress site.

b. Product seller gets a home page or similar on sign up, which is also their store, with the ability to manage it and sell their products off it. We take a fee for each transaction. I guess like every other marketplace website out there.

c. Buyer signs up for an account, and is able to buy product from any of the multiple sellers stores on our site.

d. Seller ships the physical product using shipping company of the buyer’s choice, which is selected at the transaction stage.

Q2. Would Marketpress on Buddypress allow the following payment options for the transaction fee that we take off each sale?

a. Automatic deduction off the credit card on file or a Paypal chained payment when the transaction is completed; or

b. We invoice the seller for settlement of our fee through the platform.

Q3. Which Buddypress supporting theme would be best for the above, that we can also fully customise with our brand look and feel?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi victorv,

Sounds like an interesting project!

Just a thought : Do you need BuddyPress for something specific?

My initial thought is to use WP multisite to provide each seller with a site (shop) and combine with MarketPress.

Here is the Codex description of how to set up a multisite

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Note, that MarketPress provides a buyer with a global shopping cart and the ability to check out without login. Read more on the plugin page :

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/

Related to Q3.

If you do need BP, then you’ll be glad to hear that the soon to be released BP version 1.7 supports any WP theme :slight_smile:

Read about this and more on this blog

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/7-exciting-new-features-in-buddypress-1-7/

and on the BuddyPress Roadmap

http://buddypress.org/about/roadmap/

Cheers

Mort3n

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings victorv,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

It appears that Mort3n gave you a great answer there and I will add a bit to it …

Q1. Is it possible to set up Buddypress and Marketpress for the following use case, and if so, which plugins would do the trick?

I would not personally torture myself with adding on Buddy Press in any event. Do not ever say I did not warn you :wink:

Q2. Would Marketpress on Buddypress allow the following payment options for the transaction fee that we take off each sale?

It is not relative to Buddy Press and you will need to go PayPal chained payments to get that transaction fee.

Q3. Which Buddypress supporting theme would be best for the above, that we can also fully customise with our brand look and feel?

You can use short codes from Market Press to integrate into the theme of your choice – and it is easier to tell what themes not to use i.e. framework themes – hard to integrate into though short codes are not an issue in this case.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community member and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• victorv
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi morten & aecnu

Thanks for the quick responses!

It appears that marketpress is the right option then running on multisite.

The reason that we were considering Buddypress is because of the social networking aspect. But I’ll take what you’ve said onboard.

I suspect that our use case may not warrant the complexity of Buddypress. But a very focused use of Facebook and Twitter plugins may work for us. We need to keep things clean and intuitive for both our sellers and buyers.

We want our buyers and sellers to be able to interact with each other and connect with each other ala Facebook and Twitter. We prefer less complexity. So maybe just the plugins.

Thanks for your input.

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi victorv,

Thanks for your feedback!

The need to cater for social networking is understandable.

Using Facebook and Twitter is one way to go.

If you would like to keep the interactions on site, then WPMU DEV has a whole range of plugins that can give you quite a bit of the functionality of BuddyPress without dealing with BP itself.

The community oriented plugins are here :

https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/tag/community/

Have a nice Sunday :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mort3n

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings victorv,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.