Buddypress and Membership plugin

Hi,

Following on from my previous topic - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multi-site-1?replies=13#post-173187

I thought I should start a new thread here, as my post is now related to the Members Plugin.

To recap:
I have lots of offices - and I'd like to connect the staff in those offices through a buddy press site.
When a member of staff signs up, I would like to automatically assign them to a group for their office, and grant them access to view news from their office.

So an example of the idea would be: when a Member from Office A clicks on "news link" they should see the news for Office A nb: http://example.com/archives/category/officea

When a member from Office B clicks on the "news link" they should see the new for Office B... nb: http://example.com/archives/category/officea

I've been told it's not possible to automatically grant access to groups via the members plugin (I'm quite prepared to pay for this feature - like I said... I'm desperate) - but I can do this manually when someone signs up.

Staff should then be able to create their own groups, search for members (from all the offices) and friend them etc - all standard buddypress stuff.

So to set the news category stuff up, I've used the membership plugin. I've set up a level for each office, and assigned the relevant news category as a positive rule and then applied that level to the members of that office.

However, it doesn't work. When logged in as a member, I see all the news... not just the category for my office.

So I did it the other way - and set up a negative rule, selecting all the categories that I don't want the user to see... but this didn't work either. I can still see all the news, not just the news for my office.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can achieve this? I'm becoming really, really desperate now... I've got a lot riding on this...

If anyone can help, I'll be eternally grateful - and promise to send you beer.

Thanks,
Rob

• rpwillie

I'm using the buddypress Social theme - and I've just noticed that when I make buddypress private to non logged in users, I get an error.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/137750/domains/example.com/html/wp-content/themes/bp-social/members/index.php:12) in /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/137750/domains/example.com/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 866

This is when I tick:
    Global Privacy Setting
    Do you want to enable privacy on all members profile for not logged in user
    * only logged in user can view members profile and members directory. 'disable' by default

This error didn't happen before the members plugin was installed...

Thanks,
    Rob

• Mason

Hiya,

I've been told it's not possible to automatically grant access to groups via the members plugin (I'm quite prepared to pay for this feature - like I said... I'm desperate) - but I can do this manually when someone signs up.

It's possible using the 'ping' interface, but it would require custom development to write the script.

It sounds like a membership configuration issue. Go through your Membership>Options page and make sure you have all the pages created correctly and settings there. If ya like, take a few screenshots of this page and post them here, we'll take a look with you.

As to the error when saving that option in Social, I'm not able to reproduce that regardless of membership activation and settings. Can you try getting a fresh version of the theme and verify you have the latest.

Thanks.

• Mason

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.