BuddyPress and multiSite privacey

So, when creating new sites in sub-domain set up the buddy press pages are not being created. I do have BP multi network installed.
I need the sub sites to be networks themselves.

Also, I want the sub sites to be private. At most show the home page and nothing more. Maybe add some public pages.
Un-checking the public box in the site settings does not seem to help and making the pages private just seems to piss off BuddyPress.

Any suggestions?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @RichardEWallaceJr

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

So to understand it better, you have got a WordPress multinetwork setup and you are using BP Multi network plugin to give each WP network a separate social network.

So, when creating new sites in sub-domain set up the buddy press pages are not being created. I do have BP multi network installed.
    I need the sub sites to be networks themselves.

How have you planned your multi network ? You have different domains to run different networks ?

By default BuddyPress is activated on the main site of the network so if you have got a multi network setup, it will be activated on the main sites of different networks.

Also, I want the sub sites to be private. At most show the home page and nothing more. Maybe add some public pages.
    Un-checking the public box in the site settings does not seem to help and making the pages private just seems to piss off BuddyPress.

If you want subsites to be private, the plugin shall be network activated in all the networks separately.

Also, to make a site private, you should choose to password protect it as that is the best approach. In that case only someone with a password can view the site.

If you want a more complex approach, then you can use the Membership plugin and create different access levels and restrict access accordingly.

I hope that helps. Please advise.

Cheers
    PC

• Richard
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Well this is where I am. I went to the BP Multi Network plug in site and it said to activate BP in the sub site not the main site. That seemed to work but I still had to build the pages manually. I need the network features of BudyPress to work in the sub sites. I am using them to build sales teams. Each team needs it's own network.
    I am setting them up in the sub domains. Maybe there is a simpler way.

Do you mean to network activate the privacy plug in?
    Network activate the membership plug in?
    Will the membership plug in protect whole sites from being visible?

I'm extremely tired and this may not be making sense.
    I need the features of BuddyPress to work in the sub sites.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Richard,

If you need to run a BP multi network then your WordPress needs to be multi network as well.

First of all please let me know if your WordPress is Multinetwork or not ?

If not then use : http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-multi-network/
    or
    http://wpebooks.com/networks/

To make it a multi network where you can have multiple networks in one network.

Then you can have BP Multi Network i.e. Each WP network can have its own BuddyPress network.

To keep it simple I will not suggest to get to membership plugin at this time.

First of all make sure that the networks are working fine and then we will come to the privacy.

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Richard

All good advice.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-multi-network/ did not segregate as I had hoped. However the http://wpebooks.com/networks/ was an excellent purchase and the support there was good as well.

I have slowed down quite a bit and making it simple first. Good advice for sure.
    I was able to change the settings in the reading section to make the sub sites private.
    I would like to figure out how to have some of the main sites pages show and some hidden. Like you said simple and later.
    Thanks Pc
    All good advice
    Richard

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

There's a great plugin (WPMU Plugin Manager) that you can use to automatically activate plugins on new blogs. The current version on wordpress.org doesn't appear to work - I use a modified older version - but googling it looks like there are a few variations of the code now.

• Richard

That is advanced. Looks like it will replace a couple of the plug ins I am currently using. It may even replace a pro version I was considering buying. That would be great too. Time for testing.

Thanks all.
    You are living up to the WPMU DEv reputation and more.
    Richard

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.