BuddyPress as a premium plugin for top level subscriber sites

I've searched the existing threads but can't seem to find the answer. Can BuddyPress be offered as a premium plugin for subscribers at the top level, say a Level 3 subscription?

We are considering our levels and how to structure them. It could be beneficial for us to offer 3 levels: blogger, ecommerce (marketpress), and community (buddypress). I just wanted to see if anyone else has gone down that path before or if it is even possible.

• Timothy Bowers

Hi jzvestor

I trust you are well?

I've searched the existing threads but can't seem to find the answer. Can BuddyPress be offered as a premium plugin for subscribers at the top level, say a Level 3 subscription?

Unfortunately not, the way BuddyPress works is that it will only install to your main blog/site.

You can enable it to work on subsites, but the data will still be taken from the main site.

You could also have it work in a multi-network setup however again, the subsites will still take its data from the the networks main blog/site.

This unfortunately is just how BuddyPress works.

levels: blogger, ecommerce (marketpress),

These two are definitely possible.

You could offer e-commerce free and through chained payments, take a fee of what they sell. Then when they upgrade to next level they can use their own gateway and pay no fee to you.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hi jzvestor

Pro Sites allows us to make it a premium plugin for the 2nd level. Are you saying that we could activate it for both levels, take a chained payment on level1, and then nothing on level 2? How would that be configured?

Yes that is correct.

When you have Pro Sites installed, and you network activate the plugin then in the network admin area you can choose which gateways are used.

So you would choose to allow only Paypal Chained Payments to be used by everyone. Then set it so all users can use Chained Payments (which is where you set your % fee) then set all other plugins so thay can be used with a Supporter Level. Or turn them off if you don't want to offer them.

Paypal requires you set up Chained Payments with them separately, the process is not hard but it can be time consuming at first. Once set up, it is like any other Paypal service, except you take a cut and then the rest of the funds are sent to the shop owner. Instructions are in the admin once you activate the gateway.

Admin --> Network Admin --> Settings --> MarketPress

yourdomain.com/wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=marketpress-ms

See Screen shot.

So to summarise. Choose to allow anyone to use Chained Payments, then make the rest of the gateways you want people using so they only can use it with a Pro Site (You can't yet restrict each gateway to a specific Pro Site Level. They get access to the extra gateway when on any paid level)

Hope this better explains the feature. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.