Buddypress Avatar not updating with Ultimate Facebook

When logging into wordpress via facebook from the buddypress sidebar it still shows the buddypress avatar instead of the facebook profile photo..

Any Ideas?

View here http://norwich.my-city-social.co.uk

Using Latest WP MU
Using Latest Buddypress
Using Default Buddypress Theme
Fresh Install
No Other Plugins Activated

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you for posting the link, that enabled me to check what's going on as automatic avatar fetching worked for me fine on my test installs. It appears that you have a directory permissions problem on your site.

This is what happened - I tried creating a new user by logging in with Facebook and, sure enough, experienced the very same thing you did (avatar from Facebook wasn't pulled in). Then I tried uploading an avatar, to see if there are any issues with avatar/image handling as such, and got this error: Upload Failed! Error was: Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/avatars/5. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Can you please make sure that you have wp-content/uploads directory on your server (sometimes WP just doesn't create this directory during installation and silently moves on), also that you have a subdirectory avatars beneath it, and that they are writable by the server? Once you make any changes, you can test your new setup by trying to upload an avatar in a regular way.

If you manage to upload an avatar, you can try and set up your Facebook avatar for existing accounts by going to "Profile" > "Edit profile", and clicking the "Fill my BuddyPress profile with Facebook data" link.

• daveoutdoor
    • Flash Drive

Hi VeBailovity,

I'm having a similar problem with Facebook avatars.

Everything you described above works:
    - i can manually upload avatars,
    - the /avatar folder exists with the correct permissions,
    - and i can click on the "fill my buddypress profile with facebook data" link

... but my facebook avatar is not appearing in the buddypress activity stream. It _does_ appear under my WordPress user profile, but not on my BuddyPress profile.

I also notice that sometimes - not always - my name is missing from the post_form box - it says "what's new, ?", without the username.

The site is Yogafuse.com, and I'm using WP 3.2.1, BP 1.5. Feel free to register and give it a try yourself!

Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated!

Dave.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The problem that you (daveoutdoor and ElCaganer) are experiencing is different then the original issue in the thread. Both should be fixed with the latest plugin release (v1.4.1, just released). Can you please upgrade and see if it helps? Your new users should have their BuddyPress avatars automatically set to their Facebook avatars, while your existing user could use the "Fill my BuddyPress profile with Facebook data" link in their profiles (or in the admin Dashboard widget) to fetch their profile images from Facebook.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!
    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• daveoutdoor
    • Flash Drive

Hi Mason,

Thanks for prodding me :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the new version (1.2.1) didn't fix the problem. I'm begining to think it's a problem with the theme, so I'll leave this topic closed unless I find otherwise!

Thanks for your help - it's great to get some support!

Cheers,
    Dave.

• John Dionne
    • Flash Drive

Hello,
    I am having a similar issue. The attached image displays two instances of my profile image being pulled. One is correct and it is being pulled from FB as i want it to. The other is incorrect, it is the standard Gravatar that came with BuddyPress. Many places the image displays how it should, but the login field, for one instance, is not showing as it should. I have found the code that would need to be replaced, I think?
    <?php bp_loggedin_user_avatar( 'type=thumb&width=50&height=50' ) ?>
    Replaced with what is the question, if this is the answer at all. How shall I proceed?

• John Dionne
    • Flash Drive

OK, I figured it out.

Using the Admin bar Buddypress options I clicked the Link that sync's the Facebook data to the BP profile. This did not do anything until I then changed the username which immediately made the profile photo appear.

Thanks anyways.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.