[BuddyPress] BP Primary navigation menu disappeared

I have 2 subsites that both have BuddyPress installed.
On one of these subsites the primary navigation menu has disappeared.
I've checked all the settings and customisation in both subsites, but found no differences.
How to get it back?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello mpress

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Do I correctly understand that you have BuddyPress separately activated on two sub-sites of the same Multisite? I see that you have granted the support access but there are 11 sub-sites there - which ones should I check and where exactly (on which pages of them) should I look for the issue?

Let me know please and I'll check the site and look for the reason of this and how could we fix this.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi mpress

Thank you, I can see the issue now.

I'm still not sure, though, what is causing this. It's not that the menu is for some reason "hidden" on the page by "something" (like conflicting CSS), it's just not even printed out to the page - this seems like either BuddyPress or some related plugin is "blocking" it.

I checked the site but I didn't manage to find the reason for this. The setup is quite complex and I'm not well familiar with it but one thing that bothers me there is that on the "working" page

- there's a message "You're logged in as..." in a top left corner right above "Agenda"
    - right above the menu in question there's a button to "Request membership" (of the private group)

while on a "non working" page

- there's no "You're logged in as..." message
    - and there's "Request sent" button instead of "Request membership"

While this doesn't seem to be related at the first look, it's the only significant difference that I found so far (being logged in as super-admin) and I'm wondering why is that so. Especially the "logged in" part. Are these pages using some different templates maybe or there are some differences in configuration?

Is there anything in relation to this that you can think of could be relevant? I'm asking just to get the better picture of the case and try to narrow things down a bit :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• mpress
    • Code Wrangler

Hi adam,

Good observation, I hadn't notice it yet. These 2 subsites have identical widgets for this purpose, so it's a mistery to me why it is not shown on the "non-working" subsite.

I double checked the configuration, and they are both the same.
    They use different themes, both are child themes of the same theme, and the settings for BuddyPress are the same.

I just passed on the WP login and the FTP credentials to Nithin (in relation to thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-2-pro-how-to-assign-a-membership-to-an-admin-user), feel free to use these.

Good luck!

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi mpress,

I was checking your sites but I'm afraid that I was unable to gather further information about the issue.
    I wanted to enable debug log to see if there's anything in there about the issue but I can't find any recent emails attached to your account.
    Did you get the email confirmation that your message from contact form was received?

Can you enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Visit the group with missing menu and this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Also, you have over 50 plugins active on your site so it would be hard to debug this without disabling them and doing a conflict test.
    I would suggest doing this and starting with the theme by using your other child theme that's used on working subsite and see if the menu shows with that, if not then continue with disabling rest of the plugins to see if there's any conflict on that end.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• mpress
    • Code Wrangler

Hi Predrag,

I have carried out the following steps:
    - activated the same theme as is active for the working subsite
    - deactivated one by one 3 plugins that caused many error/warning messages in the debug.log file (Accessibility, BP Group Emails, OptimizePress)
    - deactivated one by one all plugins that were subsite activated on the non-working subsite

Nothing had effect on the BP navigation menu.

Ultimately I decided to change the template from BP Nouveau to BP Legacy. It worked, i.e. the primary menu is back, although the style of this template is not as nice as the Nouveau.

I attach the debug.log file. Perhaps you can detect something.
    If you cannot find the root cause, I suggest I continue on both subsites with the Legacy theme. Not as nice, but it works.

Let me know if you find anything.

Thanks for your help.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi mpress,

From what I see from the logs it looks like there are some issues with theme templates saving the data in DB and this could be the cause of this.

So if I understand this correctly the issue is related to child theme, right?
    You can try comparing the code from your child themes and try removing parts of the non-working child theme code until you determine the cause of the issue and compare that code with the working child theme to see what might be wrong.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.