BuddyPress Dead or Alternatives?

I have been playing with BuddyPress and have purchased a few plugins from BuddyBoss. I’m growing with frustration, as it seems that all of the support and content for BuddyPress was all written 2014 or prior. I find their support forum to be unhelpful, and the some paid plugins are actually unsupported and no longer work. So, all that rant to ask…

1. Is BuddyPress still a viable and vibrant plugin/platform for social networking. Or…

2. Is there something else out there?

My main issues that I’ve been having are specific to how Buddypress favorite/linking are independent from native WordPress blogs.

Thanks for the feedback/comments.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Estevan

BuddyPress is still a viable, active and very useful plugin for social networking platform within wordpress. The same WordPress company, Automattic is the developing buddypress and bbpress, and both plugins are under active development.

As this is free plugin, they don’t provide direct support unless a bur is reported. The support forum is member driven and runs by contribution, members like you and me :slight_smile:

There is not much alternatives of BuddyPress though, but you may want to take a look at these:

https://worldwebtech.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/the-major-alternatives-of-buddypress-plugin-development/

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-alternatives-to-BuddyPress

My main issues that I’ve been having are specific to how Buddypress favorite/linking are independent from native WordPress blogs.

I am sorry, I didn’t understand the question. Would you please explain it?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Estevan
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ash,

Thank you for the suggestions and alternatives. I found those as well, but when evaluating, they seem to be restrictive.

My biggest concern with BuddyPress was that it was sunsetting/too slow for development where the third party developers were dropping it.

To clarify the comment on favorite/linking (this should have been “like”:wink:. If I post a blog, the user doesn’t have the ability to “like” the blog post/article to appear in their feed. The user actions available through BP are not transferred or embedded in WordPress. Yes there are several plugins that will force a like button on the blogs. But it would be nice if the two shared a common data point.

For example, BP uses the “favorite” on their feed. (Side note: Many 3rd party plugins (BuddyBoss Wall) converts the “favorite” label to “like”.) Native on WP the equivalent is “recommend”. Or the users can simply comment.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Estevan

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Estevan

I kinda agree with you, buddypress doesn’t integrate the like/favorite with the native wordpress posts and for that you have to use other third party plugins.

I am not sure if there is any easy way to send feature request to them, but if you have wp.org account you can connect them via slack and get a discussion there :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.