Buddypress doesn't send email, WP does.

I've got a new test install with BuddyPress and WPMU dashboard active (support access enabled). Other plugins are now off but I've tried Mailgun, and numerous SMTP plugins (with GSuite and Sendpulse accounts). I receive emails when clicking the test email button in the SMTP plugins. I do not receive emails when I sign up or go to Users > Manage Signups and click email to resend. Turning off BP, I then get emails for the regular WP signup.

When using built in WP mail sending via the host without any plugins, the receiving GSuite would complain about the low rep of the host IP and not deliver the msg. I think this occurred for both WP and BP, which lead to trying different sending servers. Unfortunately, I can't use BP if it doesn't send emails reliably.

Any solutions?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Morgan

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

I’ve accessed your site and noticed that there was still a 3.0.0 version of BudyPress installed. It’s quite new but there was several bugs that were fixed in a recent 3.1.0 maintenance release:

https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/query?group=status&milestone=3.1.0

One of them was related to activation e-mails:

https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7869

That being said, I have updated BuddyPress on your site and then used its Repair Tools (“Tools -> BuddyPress”:wink: to reinstall emails.

The activation e-mail is working now. It does go the the spam folder though, at least for me. This is a different issue, though. I can see that the e-mail set on “Settings -> General” page the Email Address used is an e-mail from a different domain than the site and that might affect it so you may want to either change the mail or try the SMTP option again (since BP is working now it should help).

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.