BuddyPress 'Forum' Component Directory Associated to WordPress 'Forums' Page Gen

I apologize if this is a repost. I searched and searched and the only thing I could find was the following link, but it was not answered: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-forums-redirects-to-home#post-159926 (the poster was not very nice!)

I'm having a similar issue but I've discovered a new piece of information:

When I go to BuddyPress>Pages, it asks to have all of the component directories associated to WordPress pages. When I set the 'Discussion Forums' component to the 'Forums' page, I get the error referred to in the above post link (when going to /forums, it reverts to the homepage and it creates the archive slug conflict error). If do NOT associate the component directory to the WP page 'Forums', it seems to work (ie, the /forums link does NOT revert to the homepage and it does display a list of the forums that I set up). Why does the association not "work" and if I don't make the association, how does that affect the way BuddyPress works on the site?

I am on the latest version (as of the date of this post) of both WordPress, BuddyPress and bbPress.

If you need to go to my site, please let me know. I'll need to deactivate the "Coming Soon" page that automatically appears if you are not logged in. I hope I have provided enough information (I hate when I'm searching the support forums and people are so vague! I'm trying not to be that person! It's been a long time since I've worked in WordPress and things have changed a lot!). Please let me know if you need additional info.

Thank you in advance!