Buddypress Install in Subdirectory - Do I need Multisite?

Hi, I have a problem. I have found a theme I love for my main site, but it is definitely not compatible with BuddyPress (UGLY!). So, I think I will need to create a subdirectory or folder for the BuddyPress Community and install another installation of WP and a BuddyPress friendly theme there.

1.) Can you tell me which structure is better? community.mywebsite.com or mywebsite.com/community

2. I would like the BuddyPress community members to be able to contribute blogs in one "category" that would appear on the main website. Could I just link to that blog, or do the Users need to be users of the main WP installation, too?

3. If I wanted the Users to have access to other member features on the main site, would they need to login twice? With the same User name? Or, would it be better to do a MultiSite install? Would that enable just one login and access to User features at both the main site and the BuddyPress subdirectory without having to login twice?

I hope that's not confusing. I'm a little confused. I'd just like some advice on the best way to tackle this.

I'm a new paid member here at WPMUdev and very excited. Thank you!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @zengirl

I hope you are well today and Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Is your current site a single site or multisite?

If it's a single site install, I'd recommend creating a sub domain such as community.mywebsite.com then use our user synch plugin here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-user-synchronization/ This will allow you to synch users for both sites, please note this doesn't work with multisite installs.

Do you want them to have their own independent blogs? This would require the use of multisite, or do you want them to contribute to the one main blog, where they can submit a post for a draft? That is what I would personally recommend :slight_smile:

3. The user Synch plugin I posted above should handle that to login into the main site, as long as multisite isn't installed :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• zengirl
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jack, that is an awesome solution to my problem. It is just a single install. Wow!! I had no idea such a plugin existed. Thank you so much!!

I am still holding out a tiny bit of hope that I am going to somehow make this original theme work with BuddyPress.

Is there anyone in particular at WPMU who might be able to assist me with the instructions that BuddyPress provided for making any site compatible? The coding is just a bit over my head.

Thanks again! You're awesome!
    Valerie

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.