Buddypress install problems

Having problems with memory overloads when installing Buddypress; as well as 404 errors. I have permalinks set properly, as on working sites, but keep getting errors. I've tried to reinstall numerous times both the site, Wordpress and Buddypress, with repeated errors.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings HunterGatherer,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Having problems with memory overloads

Please consult your hosting provider to possibly see any reason why memory overloads and make corrective action in php.ini file as needed.

as well as 404 errors. I have permalinks set properly, as on working sites, but keep getting errors. I've tried to reinstall numerous times both the site, Wordpress and Buddypress, with repeated errors.

Until the memory overloads are resolved errors will continue to be a plague upon the install itself.

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for the additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

That was there answer, nothing more?

Just "we do not allow access to the php.ini file" but no remedy?

Lets see what we are dealing with on this hosting platform.

I have attached a file below in which you would want to download and extract.

You will find the file phpinfo.php in which you will want to upload/FTP to your hosting root folder and call up in your browser using something like http://www.yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php

Once you called up the file look to see what is indicated for the memory_limit.

To give you an idea for reference that you have the correct setting, you can see my server is set to 512MB:
    http://wpmu-hosting.org/phpinfo.php

Please advise what your current hosting account has for the memory_limit.

Cheers, Joe

• HunterGatherer
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Timothy,

My apologies. I didn't have time after you sent over the last response to test the file. According to my host, there is a memory limit of 80MB on the account.

phpinfo.php shows 90MB limit.

I have a number of sites on the account. I've used a couple of plug-ins to reveal the amount used. That amount usually shows a maximum of around 29MB available on the site I want to put BuddyPress.

I've disabled every plug-in I can and reduced the theme selections to just a handful as we test the site.

It's pretty obvious that I need to find a hosting company that allocates more memory. I'm not adept at server management and can't currently handle the cost of a private or managed server.

Is there a way to check the memory use on an entire account and see which domains are consuming the memory without looking at each one separately?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Which company limit you to that?

If its a memory error you get then to fix it you need more memory. The plugin you have may only read the one page its on, so it might not be taking into account when the most is being required.

With regards to what is using what, it might be worth chatting with your host.

Which plugins/themes do you have at the moment? One of them could be acting a little naughty in how it calls and includes other resources.

Take care.

• HunterGatherer

The site is on 1and1.

Typically site has twenty-eleven and weaver themes installed. It might have an artisteer theme available too.

Plug-ins: Typically akismet; gravity forms; wp-seo (yoast); WPMU DEV Dashboard, a couple of others; but while having problems, I either deactivate or delete them.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

Do you have any relief when you deactivate yoast by any chance?

Regarding memory, on my servers php memory is set to 512MB as standard practice as shown above.

Please advise if you have any better luck installing Buddy Press with yoast deactivated.

Looking forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• HunterGatherer

Thanks for checking in. I've managed to get a network install working right. I installed the BuddyPress plugin.

It's a new site with the main site at .../ and an additional one at .../social/.

I would like BuddyPress installed on the /social/ site; not on the main one. This is to keep the menu structure for social interaction separate from other portions of the site.

I have not gone through all five set up steps yet. It looks like BP setup attempts to set all of the pages up in the main site, even though I started the setup from within the .../social/ site.

Is there a way to make sure that the BP pages only reside in the /social/ site folder?; not under the full main site?

Let me know if you need me to open this as another ticket.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

The way that BuddyPress works is that it's set to only work on your main site by default.

This can be changed though.

Firstly let me check, this is a multisite install right?

And /social/ is a sub site on that network?

If so then crack open your wp-config.php file and add the following:

define ( 'BP_ROOT_BLOG', $blog_id );

The $blog_id needs to be the ID of the blog you want it on. So if it's ID is 2 then you could use:

define ( 'BP_ROOT_BLOG', 2);

This makes your Blog ID 2 the root BP install.

Take care.

• HunterGatherer

Thanks Timothy. I got the same response from Mason on Live Support this morning.

Just want to verify that the set of BP pages would only be created in the blog containing the BP install. They would not appear in the main blog or other sub-blogs. Is that correct? I'm using a subfolder network installation.

Glad you guys know what you're doing.

HG/mws

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Excellent, glad you have this one sorted now.

To answer this if others come along here, then yeah those pages would exist on the root blog. so if that were ID 2, they would be there.

The exception here is if it were enabled to work on all sites. Then all sites have those pages and require a BP theme. But they all use the same data and install. Anyway, that isn't what you want or have.

Good luck on the hosting front as well. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• HunterGatherer

I landed one of those $.01 for 6 months accounts at Hostgator when GoDaddy messed up last week. I'll be moving one or two of my multisites over; with one of them testing BuddyPress. Just have to get it done this week. As soon as it's done and I have it resolving to the new host, I'll get back with other issues as they pop up.

Thanks,

HG/mws

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.