Buddypress issues (no register or activate, can't do new post on activity; can't see old p

Hey all. So, I just got out of live support and they suggested I open a Support Access ticket; which I have. Here is the overview:

I have a multisite (http://www.intothemythica.com) which is a publishing company. Intentions are to have Buddypress operate from a sub-site, so I installed the code snippet into wp-config that sets Buddypress to the sub-site; in this case; (http://www.mythica.intothemythica.com). Note the difference in the URL; 'intothemythica' versus 'mythica', with Mythica being the Buddypress site.

This is a reinstallation of Buddypress from a long time ago, I had let it go because I was working on other things. i'm having issues that need assistance.

This is the order of operations as i've tried it:

1) Set WP-CONFIG secondary blog Buddypress code - CHECK

2) Turned on Buddypress - CHECK

3) 'Activity' and 'Members' pages working on Mythica sub-site - CHECK

4) CREATE NEW PAGE for 'Register' and 'Activate' - ** Pages are created but do not load. When attempted to 'View page' from Buddypress settings; (http://www.mythica.intothemythica.com); the main page; is loaded.

5) Changed 'Settings' on 'Mythica' (sub-site) to load 'Activity' page as main page; to test . 'View page' of 'Register' and 'Activate' goes to determined front page for Mythica site, now, 'Activity'

6) CANNOT make new posts - tried to update posts on the Activity stream; was not given a button to post. Can, however, make comments on previous posts.

7) EARLIER POSTS BUT NOT NEW POSTS - The Activity page is showing posts from 5 months ago, but is not showing any new posts throughout the network and, as said, I cannot post to the Activity stream.

8) Created 'Site Tracking' in attempt to solve issue - i am still learning Buddypress. I turned on 'Site Tracking' and set the page. SUCCESS. This brings up the Site Tracking page, yet the page DOES NOT show associations between more recent sites and their owners. Is this connected to the lack of update of recent posts mentioned earlier?

9) Turned ON registration (with a security check; defending against bots) from Network Settings; yet Registration did not happen nor could View Page - Registration bring me to the proper page.

This is my intention:

To have a centralized location where the posts from the multiple sub-sites are shown, * with * graphics and a link to that site in the Activity feed.

To be able to post new information to the Activity feed.

To have recent posts show up in the Activity feed.

Registration and Activation allowed with security check plug-ins working.

That's all for now. Thank you for your support. I'm sure this can work out easily with the right application of Knowledge :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Griffin,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have checked both your "Network Admin" and the sub-site ("mythica") settings. I think there is one more thing more checking though.

You've tried to change "pages" settings but according to the BuddyPress docs in case of already existing BP installs there's also a need to create some redirections. Take a look here please:

https://codex.buddypress.org/legacy/getting-started/install-buddypress-on-a-secondary-blog/#4-redirect-previous-buddypress-permalinks

2. I've examined the source of the site and it seems like the "submit" button for Activity is there although it's not visible. I've tried to make it visible back again via browser's CSS editor however so far I wasn't able to. That said, could you please try disabling rtMedia for a while just to see if it brings back the "standard" submit button? It could helps me find the solution here.

Looking forward for your feedback!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Griffin

Okay. I've switched between 3 different themes.

In the 'X-theme' for some reason the POST button is invisible and unclickable on the main Activity stream.
    In the 'Mingle' and 'Inspirebook' themes the POST button is clickable.

In EVERY theme tested, I cannot upload media on the Activity stream. However, I can upload media (with posts) on my 'Members Profile'.

Also, a reminder: Posts are not showing up when delivered on other sub-sites in the network on the activity stream. I want when I post to site 'mysubsite.intothemythica.com' that it also posts onto the member stream of 'mythica.intothemythica.com'

• Griffin

Okay. Quick recap:

.htaccess idea doesn't work as far as I understand it because there is no .htaccess file unless I create one (in the same directory as wp-config).

can't upload media on the activity page no matter what theme

activity page lists activity from 5 months ago, suggesting it's drawing data from an outdated place

new sites are not associated with members pages (related to previous issue?)

new activity not showing up on activity stream when posted to sub-sites in the network. (are these all related to the previous issue?; it seems time and update related)

• JEAN VONCKEN

Hi Griffin,
    That would be a georges challange to get yourself a good PHP fresh-up course at UDemy or Lydia hahahah. I got something like that waiting at stackskill. Maybe do some overddate voucher or so i could get upto 1500 $ ++ courses for less than 50 dollar. Including A Hacking Attacking deep dive BUNDLE PHP+Python+NodeJS. Have to put myself.... But a simpeler way: I guess the theme SCRIBE has completely customizable layouts (the number of rows, cols etc) and there are a lot of more plugins/themes that do. Give that a go. Or do you like hacking and hooking on pure logical headcrush questions ti'll deep in the morning?

Yours Truly,

Jean Voncken
    Security Advisor Also (most of the time)

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Griffin,

I hope you're well today and I'm apologize for the delay!

There's few very important findings described in your recent posts, I think.

1. .htaccess

This is a must. In a root folder of your install (which would be exactly the same folder where the wp-config.php file resides) there should be a .htaccess file filled with the content given to your by your WP install. To find suggested .htaccess content please go to your

Network Admin -> Settings -> Network Setup

If this doesn't work for you, here's the default .htaccess content for multisite sub-domain install:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ wp/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

The first step then would be to give it a try and it's quite likely that it will fix some further issues.

2. Theme

This is another meaningful finding. The X-theme makes "Post" button invisible and not clickable and with other themes button is fine. This means a conflict. I can see however that you've made some significant changes to the site meanwhile so let me know please if you still need my assistance on this (and if so, where can I find the page with not-working Post button now) or if you've decided to go other way.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.