Buddypress Links and Magazine Theme

I'm using the Magazine theme with Buddypress Links - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-links/

For admin functions, it's pushing all the data to the bottom of the page. Developer says this is in the theme CSS, but not sure what/where the problem is.

The plugin's not active but the site is http://www.selfpublishingreview.com

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@henrybaum: I'm not sure what would be causing the issues however I could do with seeing them really. Is it possible to show me on your site? My initial thoughts are they are using a class that is already styled in the theme therefore causing the issues. Perhaps you could try just quickly putting on the default theme and seeing if it does it when that is active as that would rule out if or not it is truly a theme issue.

• henrybaum
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

It's definitely a Magazine theme issue b/c the plugin is built for the default theme. Thing is this problem doesn't occur with the Corporate theme. I'm not adept enough with CSS to know what to change in the Magazine CSS.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@henrybaum: can you enabled it even send me through the contact form the source by clicking view source and some images even if you don't want to keep it live if it's messing up the site. I'd like to see it with your site data in if possible. You can send to me through the contact form putting for my attention (tammie lister) and it will get to me.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@henrybaum: just quickly looking I'd say one of the culprits is potentially:
    <div id="member-content" class="member-class">
    <div class="content-header">

If you can try setting those to different widths in the css I 'think' what is going on is the output of the class:

<div id="link-loop">

is too big hence it's pushing it down to the bottom. Now I think the reason it's ok in say the default theme is that is wider so won't require a set size. You could call that class link-loop and set a width for it lower than the ones I've mentioned then it would force it to be a set size. That or adding a float: left; width: 100%; to link-loop could also remedy it.

That or it would be:

<div id="content">

My suggestion would be to see with those. Have you added any custom css to those classes in your theme out of interest incase that is at play?

I will have more of a look tomorrow but for now those are my surface suggestions and hope they help. I'm not sure it's theme related per say as the fact that it's not designed so well for a more fixed width site which Magazine is hence showing this issue.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@henrybaum: was it the link-loop class? If so that is the plugin's own class I think. If by incredible amount you say the 100% then it's only of the container it's in so not really. It's basically saying 'don't grow bigger than your fish tank' :slight_smile:

No problem nice to see what you've done with the site too. Page source is great and even better if you use firefox is an addon called firebug if you don't know it that really can be a lifesaver when doing any custom theme work. Particularly if you get really scary and start prodding things like JavaScript.

• henrybaum
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I put a position: absolute in member-content (more or less). Thanks for the help.

A related question. What purpose does the default widget sidebar serve? I can't find additions to that sidebar anywhere, and I'd like to be able to add sidebar elements to Groups/Member directory and BP Links if possible.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@henrybaum: hmm shouldn't have to do that however it's working so that's good. There are several sidebars you can use in the magazine sidebar. You can see them all listed under sidebars. You want to be using the members one I think for what you want. However you can use the format they use of calling in the template (see home.php for an example) and then put on any other page. Let me know if you need some more help.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@henrybaum: Actually I found that the member-sidebar.php wasn't showing on the pages it should which are the member areas (under options bar). I've updated a new version to include that fix so it shows now. If you can see if those work for you I think that's what you want. If you want it to show in more areas you simply can add the following code to the area you want it to show in the template child:

<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/sidebars/member-sidebar.php'); ?>

Should you want to show different ones depending on the area you are in you can simply create a new file using the format in members-sidebar.php (you will have to under functions.php make sure you are calling the sidebar for instance (yourname = whatever you are calling your sidebar):

register_sidebar(array( 'name' => 'Yourname-Sidebar',
    'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="sidebar-section widget %2$s">',
    'after_widget' => '</div>',
    'before_title' => '<h4 class="widgettitle">',
    'after_title' => '</h4>'
    ));

Then you'd simply call it using the includes replacing members-sidebar.php with whatever your file is called.

Hope that helps.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@catfrommars: Ideally we do need you to start a new thread for a new topic. I'm fairly sure this is not the same issue as that was very specific to the Magazine theme. Sorry but easier to view things if you do that. The advice was to check using something like firebug and then see the CSS class. However are you using the same plugin this user was as that was why he had formatting issues. Also please state what version of WordPress you are using and BuddyPress.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.