Buddypress links on nav bar don't go to subdomain site but main domain?

Hi there

I have a Buddypress on a subdomain and really like the Blogs MU theme that I spent some time configuring. Then I noticed quite late on that the HOME, COMMUNITY (and sub bp elements) all link to maindomain.com vs buddy.maindomain.com – I looked at navigation.php (I am not using the child but the parent) and noticed it is polling the ‘domain’ it is on, so wondering what is going wrong here?

Thanks in advance

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

This is because BuddyPress doesn’t work all that great on a sub-site.

In order to get this working you’re going to need to add some stuff to your wp-config.php file.

Specifically add this before the line that says “That’s all stop editing”;

define( ‘BP_ROOT_BLOG’, 3 );

You’ll need to change 3 to the ID number of the sub-site on which you have activated Blogs MU.

Cheers,

Phil

• SilkCharm
    • Flash Drive

Thanks – yes I have the define BP set – but I noticed that in wp-config there are also root blog assignments. Is this correct? For a bp install on network.storylabs.us ?

define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true);

define( ‘MULTISITE’, true );

define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, true );

$base = ‘/’;

define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘storylabs.us’ );

define( ‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’ );

define( ‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );

define( ‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );

define( ‘BP_ROOT_BLOG’, 16 );

define( ‘BP_AVATAR_UPLOAD_PATH’, ‘/var/www/wp-content/blogs.dir/16/files’ );

define( ‘BP_AVATAR_URL’, ‘/var/www/wp-content/blogs.dir/16/files’ );

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Let me just check: you have Blogs MU activated on your main site or your BuddyPress sub-site?

If it’s not activated on the BP site, it will cause issues. Blogs MU is primarily a BP theme so it will always pick up on the BP features wherever you activate it in the network.

If you want it activate on a sub-site that isn’t your BP site, you’ll need to remove the BP features from the theme.

Phil

• SilkCharm
    • Flash Drive

Thanks – I was unable to resolve it and believe the now 1.5 year old install had got pretty corrupted…I managed to actually completely blank the domain, reinstall the main wp and keep it non wpmu – I connected it to the original database, loaded the Blogs MU bp theme and got BuddyPress going. Then I actually did a global SQL search/replace of my subdomain url to my main url (over 500 entries!) and remarkably the whole thing came to life. So happy that I successfully migrated an old 140 user subdomain buddy press wp up into a root level domain…! I lastly imported via the XML import route all the old posts and pages from the sub blog. It is now much faster and stable…sometimes rebuilding is better than covering up the cracks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.