BuddyPress Members Directory... how to display on subdomain?

Hi there,

am able to display at the main page (main domain) the BuddyPress Member Directory correct

BUT

am unable to do so on sub domain. Can transfer registered USER from main domain to sub domains (believed BuddyPress would have this automatically done as it is multi-site structured) but this is obviously not the case.

There is a plugin available which transfers User to sub domains.... not really a brilliant solution as it does not transfer all user roles data (e.g. user roles).

Now I am wondering is there probably a shortcode which would 'display member directory' on a sub domain? Researched the web for it but couldn't find one... Perhaps I am totlly on the wrong track with both version I mentioned above and there exists already a much better and easier solution within BuddyPress itself?

Looking forward to hear about your professional advice.
Cheers
Prinz

• Tyler Postle

Hey Prinz,

Thanks for your question.

It sounds like you're wanting to enable BuddyPress multi-blog. This allow you to show all the BuddyPress pages (members, activity, etc.) on any of your subsites. Enter this into your wp-config.php:

define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

Here is more information on the constant: https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

Is that what you're after? As for the user roles, the plugin I mentioned in the previous post could help with that: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Klaus

Hi Tyler,

will follow your recommendation and do hope this will solve the issue. As you know I am far away to "understand everything as a tiny bit more advance beginner by now." Means, I don't know how to deal with those warning on that recommended codex page regards multi-blog.

However I am going to install multi-blog and of course will let you know the outcome too... all I do understand right now is, that this solutions causes "heaps of additional work" as I have to setup on each sub domain (and we have quite a lot) all those BP pages in order to get multi-blog working.

For now I do not mark this request as resolved in order to report in a short while the result of the effort I am spending now on this multi-blog task.

Bye for now. Once again many thanks
    Prinz

• Klaus

Hello Tyler,

as promised I would like to know your advice is (was) simply spoken great... as it works. So what did I do?

Installed multi-blog... made BuddyPress settings on each and every domain (which was lots of work as we have so many domains).

Installed also multisite-user-management to transferred user (but only wp user role can be assigned) with that tool...

Result: YES, now I am able to display on sub domains e.g. BuddyPress Member Directory as nicely as on main domain.

Summary: Am happy to solve this matter based on your suggestion. Once again many thanks for that.
    Cheers
    Prinz

NS: Actually I have another support request placed (phenomenon with with theme/updating a link). Just in case you would have an idea about current situation on that too, like always would much appreciate that too.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Prinz,

Hope you're doing well today!

So what did I do?

Basically, adding that constant, just allows you to display the network wide BuddyPress content (members, activity, etc.) on every subsite. So everyone doesn't have to go to the main site whenever they want to see their profile or see the latest activity - they can view it all from whichever site they are on :slight_smile:

NS: Actually I have another support request placed (phenomenon with with theme/updating a link). Just in case you would have an idea about current situation on that too, like always would much appreciate that too.

I see Michelle is already getting you sorted here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-a-phenomenon-believe-one-of-you-guys-can-help#post-849733

Awesome! Hope you had a great weekend Prinz :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.