Buddypress Members: Unable to Edit Profile

When members go to edit their profile on our multi-site network, they are redirected to a page showing only the website header image. Members can edit the WordPress profile through their Dashboard, but not the BuddyPress one (which is the one we need them to edit).

There have not been any issues to this before.

Plugins being used, that I think may be relevant to the issue, are BuddyPress and Membership 2 Pro. I also re-installed the previous version of CoursePress, after having a number of issues with the latest update of that plugin. I haven't knowingly changed any other settings - not that I can remember anyway.

I'd appreciate assistance with resolving this issue, as I'm in the process of recording training videos showing new members how to edit their profile. Not a good look when I'm unable to do this.

Thanks (have granted support access to site)

Deb

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Deb,

It looks like it is Media Protection add-on causing this trouble. I disabled it and I could edit profile in BuddyPress instantly.
    However I wasn't able to replicate this issue on my site with only Membership 2 and BuddyPress, so this might be conflict with another element on your site.
    Would it be possible to run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart)?
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If not we could check what is inside debug log - you would need enable debug log and then also Media Protection add-on and then try to edit profile. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to service like a Dropbox and paste link here.

kind regards
    Kasia

Deb

Hi Kasia

Thank you so much for fixing it! It was the Media Protection add-on in the Membership 2 Pro plugin. It also explains why the network has been extremely slow to load media files.

I did the plugin/theme test on my staging site, to see if I could locate the issue.

I disabled all the plugins except for BuddyPress. The profile editing function worked.

Then I reactivated Membership 2 Pro - and the profile editing function did NOT work.

So I then went in and disabled the Media Protection add-on, and the profile editing function worked again.

So it seems to be exactly what you came up with. As a bonus, the media images are also loading heaps faster. I'll keep the Media Protection add-on disabled from this point on. As the network is private membership only, with only one page open to the public, the Media Protection add-on is not needed anyway. I forgot I had enabled it.

Thanks again for your help. Very happy customer here.

Kind regards

Deb