Buddypress & Membership

Can these two plug-ins work together? I'm getting conflicting information as I read through this forum.

Major Issue:
I saw here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-plug-and-registration-page#post-76026 that I should deactivate the Registration page (set to None) b/c Membership takes over the registration process. It doesn't. When I do that there are no fields on my registration page.

As I've posted before, but can't seem to find the answer or get a straight one, is the problem I am having is that my registration page doesn't resemble the attached screenshot (1st att.). I've attached how my registration page looks (2nd att.).

There should be a two step registration process: 1) sign up and complete your details and 2) choose your subscription level. I have the 1st step, but not the 2nd one. I want the option for folks to register the site for free and to have the paid option after sign-up. That's it.

Questions:
- I have all three Membership Gateways activated. Does that matter?
- I have four Membership/Access Levels? (screen attached/3rd att.) Does that matter?
- How do the Wordpress roles play into how a new member is labeled when they sign-up to the site? The New User Default role is Member. Should it be Subscriber instead? Whats the difference between these two roles?
- I have a Free and Premium Subscription Plan and both are activated. Should only one be activated?

Can anyone across this forum help me? Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings iamskyemedia,

Thank you for these great questions and bringing these significant issues to our attention.

I have tested these out in our development environment and cannot replicate the issue.

I am now going to discuss it with the lead developer - to get a fix sorted for you asap.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

- I have all three Membership Gateways activated. Does that matter?

What gateways? Some will take over depending on the subscriptions settings, and some conflict (i.e. you don't need both free and paypal single as the later handles free subscriptions).

I have four Membership/Access Levels? (screen attached/3rd att.) Does that matter?

No, levels are for permissions, not something a user can sign up to on their own.

How do the Wordpress roles play into how a new member is labeled when they sign-up to the site? The New User Default role is Member. Should it be Subscriber instead? Whats the difference between these two roles?

They don't - unless you have some reason or plugin that you want to give a member access to that uses roles (i.e. the Q &A plugin).

I have a Free and Premium Subscription Plan and both are activated. Should only one be activated?

If you want the both available for signup then they both need to be activated and made public.

I saw here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-plug-and-registration-page#post-76026 that I should deactivate the Registration page (set to None) b/c Membership takes over the registration process. It doesn't. When I do that there are no fields on my registration page.

I assume you are talking about the old buddypress registration page here. What is showing on the membership registration page that you created?

• iamskyemedia
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Barry,

1) Membership Gateways: I now have only PayPal Express - with Subscriptions activated.

2) Subscription Plan: I have both Free and Premium activated.

3) Buddypress Registration vs. Membership Registration: My membership registration page looks like Screenshot #2 (above). Once a member signs up they are taken to their account, not to choose their subscription type and this is where I'm having the issue. I want to see the subsciption options appear after somone signs up as seen in Screenshot #1 (above)

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Once a member signs up they are taken to their account, not to choose their subscription type and this is where I'm having the issue.

That sounds like you are using the buddypress registration form (note they are two different pages) - I was asking based on this:

When I do that there are no fields on my registration page.

When you deactivate user registration, the BuddyPress registration page displays a blank page as the form respects the deactivation. However, the membership registration page you created and put the [subscriptionform] shortcode on doesn't check for this setting and will show the relevant form.

• iamskyemedia

Barry,

I removed the [subscriptionform] shortcode from my register page (even though on the Quick Start Guide, under registration it says "It can contain any content you want but must contain the [subscriptionform] shortcode in some location."). My registration form is in place. However, I still don't see the options for one to chose their subscription type. Does someone need to "Complete Sign Up" before they can see the subscription options?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I removed the [subscriptionform] shortcode from my register page (even though on the Quick Start Guide, under registration it says "It can contain any content you want but must contain the [subscriptionform] shortcode in some location.").

Not sure why you did that? You need the subscriptionform shortcode on the wordpress page that you are using for the membership registration page and have selected in the membership options panel.

My registration form is in place. However, I still don't see the options for one to chose their subscription type.

If you removed the subscriptionform shortcode and you can see the registration form then you are looking at the wrong page.

Can you have a look at the steps here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/
    Scroll down to the heading "Creating the required pages"

• iamskyemedia

Barry

- Added the required page properly. (It was already created properly).
    - Added the [subscriptionform] shortcode back. Didn't change Step 1 of the signup process. Still can see my registration form.
    - Doesn't change anything. There's still no step 2 where a member can choose their subscription. I only see a confirmation that the registration is complete.

• iamskyemedia

The membership page in the backend? I do not understand your question. I don't have a membership page. That's the issue. After someone signs up all they get is the notice saying the registration is complete. They don't get the 2nd step where they have to select the membership type.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

In the instructions for setting up the plugin it says that you should:
    1. create a page in your system
    2. Add some content to that page, including the [subscriptionform] shortcode at some point in the page
    3. Publish the page
    4. Go to the Membership options admin page and select that page in the drop down for the "Registration page"

Can you let me know the URL for that page, so I can have a quick look at it on your site. Note: It's a different page from the BuddyPress registration page (which shouldn't be showing the registration form as you should have switched off user registration in your options).

• iamskyemedia

Yes, I read the instructions. I printed them out and have been looking and reading them all day. What you are saying is not making sense. I have created the pages just as mentioned on the Quick Start Guide. I've done steps 1-4. Those pages have been set up. I activated BBPress and Membership together months ago. I only upgraded to full Membership yesterday.

The only registration page I have is the one I sent you the link for. There's some intrinsic step that I am overlooking. It would be 1,000 times easier and less time consuming if you could look in the backend. It makes me feel like I can't use BBPress with the Membership plugin. And I don't have a multi-site. This is a single site install for BBPress and Membership.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ok, let's try an example:
    When you activated BuddyPress it created a registration page with the url /register - This is the buddypress registration page.

Can you create a new page in your site called "Subscribe" and place on that page the shortcode [subscriptionform], and then publish it? When you do that, what do you see when you visit it? It should look like the buddypress registration page, but when you fill in the form and click on the button, it takes you to the choose a subscription page. That's what I mean by the BuddyPress and the Membership registration pages being different. They are physically different pages in your system. The link you gave me before was to the BuddyPress one - I was after the one you specifically created for the Membership plugin.

It makes me feel like I can't use BBPress with the Membership plugin. And I don't have a multi-site. This is a single site install for BBPress and Membership.

Sorry, are we talking about BBPress or BuddyPress and Membership? Because BBPress and BuddyPress are two different things, and if you were referring to BBPress for this entire thread then we've been going in the wrong direction.

• iamskyemedia

Nope. BBPress is for my community. I'd like free and paid members so I'm using the Membership plugin to handle this. So we're talking about the same thing.

I hadn't created a separate page though. Now I have and named it Sign-Up (should I name it exactly "subscribe"?) This is my Sign-Up page: http://smashnet.tv/sign-up. As you can see, there's no profile fields on it even though the shortcode is on it.

I deleted my original Registration page (http://smashnet.tv/register). Does this need to be present at all in order for the Membership registration page to work?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings iamskyemedia,

What is the URL to your new registration page? and the current URL for the signup page?

I tried to visit your site to work your last posted issue but it appears you have it locked down in maintenance mode.

Please advise.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings iamskyemedia,

Do you know what is rendering the link in the top left corner? i.e. link setting, menu setting etc.
    the reason that I ask is because it is pointing to http://smashnet.tv/register/ and this is where the problem is causing the 404 error.

If you cannot find where to adjust it to http://smashnet.tv/sign-up the next best thing to do at this point to not upset other settings (I know you and Barry worked on this hard) in my opinion, is a redirect initiated from your hosting control panel.

In your hosting control panel set up a redirect as indicated below:
    http://smashnet.tv/register/ --> http://smashnet.tv/sign-up/

Please let us know if this does not resolve your problem by reopening this ticket below marking it as not resolved. Also please indicate if there are any new symptoms or errors.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.