I’ve had this issue since 1.x on the same site, to the point that I just disabled it and left it for the time being. I re-installed it and went live with 2.x but forgot to test this again before going live!
i’ve tried negative and positive combinations, for the visitor and paid levels, no luck.
its’ 2am here so giving up and resting up, but if you can give a php line or function where I could just remove BP restrictions for now that would do for me as a short-term solution, i just need unrestricted bp access.
the only thing i can think of that is “special” in my install is that the bp forum uses an old forum tables from bb and BP_FORUMS_PARENT_FORUM_ID is set to a custom id.