Buddypress or Multi Site

I am new at buddy press and multi site. I have a facebook group, http://www.facebook.com/southaustinmemories that has over 2000 members. We have tons of photos. Trying to preserve the history of old South Ausitn.

I initially wanted a buddy press site. Can have forums and groups. I will post pictures and such. On the facebook group, I allow anyone to post pictures, videos, comments. I police it some. I would like to continue this. At the same time, I have a couple of members that would probably blog if I gave them the platform.

I am leaning very heavily to the Social Theme right now, but would like some input, before I proceed. I would like to monetize the web site. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

It looks like you can have a multi site with enough plugins to make it look like buddy press, but is it worth all the trouble if you are not going to have lots of other blogs on the site. At least that is what I have planned right now.

Mike Carlson

• Mason

Hiya Mike,

Welcome to BuddyPress and Multisite! (Also welcome to WPMU DEV) :smiley:

It's good to ask these questions up front. My personal thought would be to start with a single install and BuddyPress - you can always enable Multisite down the road. If it's just a few users wanting to blog (and all on the same or similar topics) then dividing it up into multiple blogs may not make the most sense.

Allowing paid members to have the ability to write posts would be one way to monetize the site. You could do this through our membership plugin - this would also allow you to charge for access to certain areas such as groups or even a 'members only' forum.

The above would also help you begin monetizing the site. Again, if you find that loads of folks are interested in having their own blogs - or even just that it's necessary to have 5 or 6 individual blogs, you can enable mutlisite later without losing anything so there's no harm there.

Hope this helps a bit. Let us know if you have any other specific questions as you go forward.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.