BuddyPress registration and forum

I’m setting up a multisite website, on the main site of which I wanted to have BuddyPress and a Forum.
I installed Membership plugin first. Since that plugin has a rather primitive registration options and, after reading a few posts here, I decided to install BuddyPress.
Upon installation of BuddyPress:
a) I don’t see a Forum option/tab that is present on all the BuddyPress documentation I have seen so far.;
b) my new Registration page is completely blank (Registration is enabled on the site) and
c) I’m missing registration.php file.

I need a relatively simple registration form, which I later intend to link to the Membership plugin, but cannot do anything at this point.
Please let me know what might be the problem and how can I fix it.

Thank you in advance!

• Timothy Bowers

I installed Membership plugin first. Since that plugin has a rather primitive registration options and, after reading a few posts here, I decided to install BuddyPress.

Didn't realise there were computers in primitive times if I'm honest (or WordPress in early tech evolution). :-p

We simply use the default WordPress stuff, where the popup form is used it just brings in the default WordPress form.

a. You didn't say what documentation you're referring to or how current that is. I couldn't see it to check.

You can either use the BuddyPress version of bbPress or bbPress on it's own:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress/

Or with BuddyPress:

Admin --> Network (if multisite) --> Settings --> BuddyPress --> Components [TAB]

There you enable the Group Forums. You're groups can now have forums :slight_smile:

b. Blank as in no design, just a total white page?

If so can you please check your servers error logs and let us know what error is being produced.

If you're not sure how to find those logs you can check with your hosting provider.

You can also try using the debug config instead if you wish:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

This goes in your wp-config.php file and should output any errors.

Please let me know what you find.

c. Which registration.php do you refer too?

I need a relatively simple registration form, which I later intend to link to the Membership plugin, but cannot do anything at this point.
    Please let me know what might be the problem and how can I fix it.

If it's just a form then you might also consider Gravity Forms or Formidable Pro.

Gravity Forms:

http://gravityforms.com

Formidable Pro

http://formidablepro.com

• AlionaK

Thanks, Timothy!

Here is what I got:

a) All plugins (Membership, BuddyPress) and WP were uploaded a few days ago ( so they should have the last stable version available; I can check if you need to know this for sure:grinning:

Or with BuddyPress:

Admin --> Network (if multisite) --> Settings --> BuddyPress --> Components [TAB],

Apparently BP discontinued this function, so the only way to have forum is by downloading bbPress, which I did.

b) I set DEBUG to true, and this is what I got:

Notice: bp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 1.7.) in /hermes/bosoraweb063/b2665/ipg.fabereacom/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2962 Notice: bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 2.3.) in /hermes/bosoraweb063/b2665/ipg.fabereacom/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2962

What exactly should I change in functions.php file to make is work?

c) The reason I brought up registration.php of BP is because this what folks on forums were referring to when answering similar to mine questions. All I need is a simple registration form for new visitors to the website that collects names, emails, and handles username/password setup. This registration form should work both with Membership plugin and BP/bbPress. ( I'm using Theme My Login for log in/logout purposes since it has more options than a regular WP login)

Hope this clarified a few things for you.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

a. Yup, they retired it in 1.7.

I still have it as it was installed from a previous version.

If you did use it ever then you can import:

http://codex.buddypress.org/user/buddypress-site-administration/migrating-from-old-forums-to-bbpress-2/

b. hmm, it's only a notice and so it should still work.

What theme you using?

It was reported:

http://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4830

So it seems some other plugin is invoking it too early.

Can you disable all other plugins and then test again. If it works then enable each one, one at a time until the issue comes back.

This should let us know where the issue.

c. Well the registration form we use is really just that of WP. You could use any reg form you wish, including those two I mentioned before.

So you could use any form you wish, our plugin just uses the WordPress users DB.

You can also use shortcodes to show individual plans.

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

Replace the number with the ID of the subscription.

If you're wanting to collect emails in MailChimp or similar then this can be done with the pings feature of membership. Or our MailChimp:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/mailchimp-newsletter-integration/

Let me know how you go with that testing.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

For shortcodes, all but those above are listed in the plugin. Like access levels are shown on the access level page. Also from:

/wp-admin/admin.php?page=membershipoptions&tab=posts

Admin --> Membership --> Options --> Content Protection

And some on the Membership Pages:

Admin --> Membership --> Options --> Membership Pages

Can you try in the default theme and then test again. Let me know then if it all works fine.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.