BuddyPress: Registration not working on Internet Explorer

OK, I'm stuck.. been searching for a solution for days and have finally come back to my most reliable source. We have a site we are building for a client that is having Buddypress registration issues in Internet Explorer. Some members are able to register after a few tries, some have tried 20 times with no luck. I'm on a mac and unable to duplicate the issue, but after so many people complaining, it's a real issue. Seems to work fine in other browsers for the most part, especially on a mac.

After a new user registers on IE, the page essentially refreshes and never submits. Passwords are cleared out and they try again. No activation email is ever sent as the registration is never completed. I've had users clear cache's and cookies and no success.

We have only one plugin running (WPMU's Sign Up Code) beyond that, nothing is running additionally. WP and WPMU and Buddypress are all up to date with the most current versions.

Has anyone ever seen this or have an idea of how to resolve the issue? I'm stumped.

If anyone would like to test it out, the registration can be found at http://metrodenveridc.com/register/ and the sign up code is 1234

Thank you so much in advance for your time and assistance -

Matt

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hiya Matt

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member!

I tried to register, but it kept saying: Invalid authorization code. Please let me know if you have a different sign up code for me and I will try again.

I think it would be wise to move this to the Advanced WordPress Discussion where the other members can easily pick up on your thread and participate in providing suggestions.

I will also ask our Lead Support and our Developers to see if there is anything they can add.

Have a good day and be in touch shortly again.

Gina

• skishopmatt
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hmm... ok, that's strange. That's the correct code. Not sure what's going on there.. are you checking with IE? Maybe try chrome to test also? That's a new issue that I haven't seen as of yet...

Let me know if a different browser (or cleared cookies?) helps.. been a long few days with this one.. :slight_smile:

Thanks

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Matt

So I tried it in Chrome and couldn't create an account. Here it didn't show the authorization code as incorrect. Internet Explorer still the same result.

I will ask our Lead Support to have a look at your problem. Maybe he can shed some light on why this is happening.

Be in touch at the earliest.

Have a good day!

Gina

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

I tested this on your site and was able to successfully register using IE9 on a Windows 7 machine. We may need more specific version information. WordPress doesn't support IE6 or lower so not much we can do about that.

I received the activation email as well. Let us know if you can track down more info on this.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Matt,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• skishopmatt

Hi All - nope, we're still having issues with registration. I can't get the issue to duplicate, but we've had a bunch of reports from different users that it's not working. Seems to mostly be IE8 with the issue, but we've heard on chrome as well.

I'm totally stuck...

Would love any additional ideas, thoughts, etc. Thanks SO much

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

I didn't test with IE8, but I bet that's the issue.

Does it only happen when you have our Signup Code installed?

I'll try to recreate it on my own install and see if I can see any clues there. Let me know if it still happens without Signup Code activated.

Thanks!

• skishopmatt

Hi Guys - we are now running 1.5.5 (just upgraded) and have disabled the activation code to see if that helps. I am not able to duplicate the error/issue because I'm on a mac, but if you are able to try to register now on IE8, I'd greatly appreciate your help in testing. GinaB - can you try to register again?

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Matt

• skishopmatt

Hi Joe and team -

We were never able to resolve the issue and also had a hard time duplicating it at all times, but we have found a workaround to avoid further delays and frustration from the client.

We ended up using Gravity Forms to create the registration page and then have mapped it to the BuddyPress fields with the User Registration integration. It's working perfectly as of last night. Only issue is that folks in IE 8 and some chrome users can't go in and EDIT their profiles, but at least we've accomplished the majority of the fixes.

This is a pay-first type registration, so we were using the sign up code to verify users credentials, but since that doesn't integrate with the Gravity Forms process, we have now disabled registrations and have password protected the page with the sign up form. Seems to be a reasonable workout for now.

I'll go ahead and mark this as resolved, and thanks to you and the team for the assistance you provided.

Matt

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.