BuddyPress Scholar theme zip mess

Hi, new customer here, maybe there is a good solution to this issue…

I have been having issues un-zipping and installing packages. Have searched in the forums and seen some similar issues but listed as resolved.

I am using OSX Leopard (not Snow Leopard). When I open up the numbered zip files and try to install the theme (or any other package) it fails. On the server I can see that it is un-zipping into a sub directory and also creating an annoying _MACOSX directory with a duplicate copy (that is also a true pain to delete). I do not have this issue with any plug-ins I download from WordPress.org or any other zip files I expand from other sources.

I manually moved the two folders up into the themes main directory and they show up now so I should be able to activate it but this seems very messy and round-about.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@elramsay: Hmm it’s usually that the issue is with windows machines as some of our themes are packaged with macs. I have just done a trial run on snow and leopard and can unzip all our themes without an issue. Now if your issue is that you are unloading the zip that is not the way our files should be dealt with – we recommend you unzip on your local machine until you get to the themes/ directory then upload.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I have to admit that I don’t like the zip within a zip either. Just adds more that I have to delete if I have to download a plugin to answer a question here. Of course I don’t like the “Let’s stick everything within a subdirectory within the zip” method that wordpress uses either. I can;t recall any other platform that does such. (edit: And considering we’ve been telling folks for eons not to install wpmu within a subdirectory, it’s downright wrong and probably the source of many problems folks have had.)

also creating an annoying _MACOSX directory with a duplicate copy

Macs are evil. :slight_smile:

It’s actually not a dupe but indexing files. Usually very tiny indexing files.

But anyway, I do everything locally and push out via svn. I don’t unzip directly to a live site. Something to consider.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.