Buddypress sitewide forums not parsing quotes and apostrophes…

Howdy! I have a now very active community of 550+ people on my buddypress powered site. Unfortunately I am getting numerous complaints about emails that are sent out for subscribed topics not parsing special characters / quotation marks / apostrophes.

I googled around a little and really didn’t come up with anything… so if anyone here can help, that’d be fantastic!

I am using site wide forums as well as group forums.

Screenshot of issue:

http://i.imgur.com/LWTwE.jpg

• gunn4r
    • Flash Drive

I did post on buddypress forums… their support is…..lackluster at best. They also don’t seem to have any kind of unified search for their forums… so there is really no way to search them besides scanning through hundreds of pages of threads. :slight_frown:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gunn4r,

Thank you for your input here about the Buddy Press forums.

Of course the new version of Buddy Press 1.5.6 is out with the new version of WordPress 3.4 and the new version of Buddy Press may have indeed addressed this issue.

Also for easy searching of Buddy Press forums you may want to try this tip for more successful searching.

Go to Google and in the search criteria/search box put site:buddypress.org thenwhatyouwanttosearchfor

This tip will certainly help with searching any site including WPMU Dev using the same style i.e. site:wpmudev.org thenwhatyouwanttosearchfor

Please advise if indeed the update to Buddy Press 1.5.6 has helped with the slashes or not and if the tip I have offered you will be useful to you.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gunn4r,

Oh yes I see what you mean and totally agree.

Now the trick here is to going to be to find a lead developer willing and skilled enough to give us a clue on how to possibly fix this if we can.

This almost looks like an html email being interpreted in text format.

This is indeed being sent as an html email – the one in your screen shot?

Please advise and I will see if I can get one of the lead developer to pop in here and give us some clues.

Cheers, Joe

• gunn4r
    • Flash Drive

They are being interpreted as HTML as far as I can see. But I’m not 100% sure how to check that on gmail.

They are being sent by php mailer I believe… is there a way to switch that to SMTP… maybe that would fix the issue? /shrug

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gunn4r,

Concerning the HTML, the email client must be set to read html emails as well.

Sending it SMTP or PHP will not make a difference to this presentation, but the email client makes all the difference in the world.

Could you please send me an email from your system to aecnu (at) incsub.com?

My email client is specifically setup to read and accept html emails :slight_smile:

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gunn4r,

However I receive a multitude of html emails daily with no problem, also this issue is happening to every person on my network that I’ve asked. So it’s pretty safe to say it isn’t a client issue.

Considering your last post I agree with you 110% that this seems very unlikely.

I did get one of our lead developers in here to look this ticket over and give me his thoughts on what this could be and he replied to me in live chat:

Could be that the bbpress emails are already entity-encoded, and then bp double-encodes the entities.

Or a theme or a plugin

With that said, it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol – first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem – if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gunn4r,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.