BuddyPress Social 1.1.9 installation help

Using BuddyPress 1.2.6, and WP 3.0.1. I installed the BuddyPress Social theme 1.1.9 update, but did not include the Child Theme, because I assumed it would overwrite my customization in my Child Theme. The problem I'm having is that the members area is showing only two columns, and not the three I had before the update. The update gave the nice new Theme Options interface. The new Theme Options page properly shows 3-columns selected for both the homepage and blog layout. The malfunctioning member's area's two columns aren't side-by-side, but the left column goes down the page first, with the right column empty, then, below that, it switches to the right column filled, and the left column empty. When I reverted to 1.1.8, it fixed the problem, and went back to 3-columns in the member area.

What have I done wrong with this update?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya pluzon,

Could you provide us with a link to see this 'in action'? I'll ask Richie to comment as well, but just using the default 1.1.8 and 1.1.9 themes side-by-side I'm not seeing any column differences like that.

A bit more information though, and I know we can help ya get it sorted.

Thanks!

• pluzon
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Sorry, but since I re-installed 1.1.8, it is back to properly showing 3 columns in the member area. If I get some time, I can update to 1.1.9, but I'll want to backup first. I'm guessing that the problem must be with one of the plugins I'm using: several are not from WPMUdev.

• pluzon

I have mostly fixed the problem by loading the 1.1.9 Child Theme folder and pasting my previous modifications into the style.css. I don't understand how this corrects the problem. Is this manual step required when updating a theme and using a Child Theme?

I still have some minor spacing issues of vertical crowding in the center column of the members area, particularly in the Activity page, and in a Group page. Also, the footer created by the Global Footer Content plugin is overflowing to the top of a "fourth column" in the right margin. Perhaps this is related to the center column crowding?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi pluzon
    templating were change in latest bp-social 1.1.9
    try backup your child theme and replace them with the latest bp-social child without your
    custom changes ( you can apply them back one by one later on - a necessary step to use the
    more better and tidier bp coding in template in 1.1.9)

see if the grid problem still happen..cheers

• JohnR
    • Flash Drive

OK, here's a complete fresh install - WP3.0.1, BP 1.2.6, bp social 1.1.9. Nothing else. It's not a network install - I didn't bother as the results I am getting are exactly the same on my attempted upgrade on a network site.

http://wallabylane.com.au/

The options are set for 3-column for both home page and blog layout. As you can see, the member page has a two-column layout, not 3 columns.

On the Blog page, the "Blog and News" template is selected - this at least gives the 3-column layout. However the vertical bar between the content and the right sidebar is lost.

The above is more of an issue if two-column mode is selected for the blog layout. In that case, however, the width of the content column is the same as for three-column mode - it doesn't adjust.

There are also some weird issues with the horizontal and vertical lines - look at the Members page. These aren't there with 1.1.8.

• pluzon

Installed BP Social 1.2.1 and the crowding on the activity page is fixed. Have not restored the content to the Global Footer Content plugin yet to see if it still overflows to the "fourth column" in the margin.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya eugene,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

The current version of BuddyPress Social is 1.2.2 are you sure this isn't the one you have?

For future reference as well, it's always better to start a new thread here rather than posting at the bottom of an older one (unless your issue is exactly the same). You'll get better responses this way as well :slight_smile:

thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.