We're hoping you like our new BuddyPress Social Theme:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-social-theme

Feedback, bugs, ideas welcome here!

• vivid2k
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Awesome, thank you!

I am installing it right now.

What I would like to see in the buddypress themes are:

1) Use of rotating images on homepage, such as featured content gallery plugin.

2) Advertisement slots in header

3) Options to change the top navbar colors with ease.

Just to name a few :slight_smile:

• scotm
    • Flash Drive

Guys

I have this error when using Social:

Warning: copy(///public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/thumb.php) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ///public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-social/includes/custom-functions.php on line 19

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ///public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-social/includes/custom-functions.php:19) in ///public_html/wp-content/plugins/sidebar-login/sidebar-login.php on line 302

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@vivid2k
    1)Use of rotating images on homepage, such as featured content gallery plugin.
    - nice idea..will add this options in theme option with the ability to turn on and off the featured content..also can set your own custom field (since in most cases you already had a ready custom field save) also the ability to enter post you would like to featured via id ex 1,45,32,43..something like that..

2) Advertisement slots in header
    - will see if there's enough room for 468x60 in header..

3) Options to change the top navbar colors with ease.
    - this features already built in..adminbar and nav, header etc are changeable via
    theme options.

@maisapostas
    - fixed to slug noted, the theme are basically ready to localise with text wrapping __ and _e. since i'm not familiar with translation tool..will leave it to expert:slight_smile:

@arnonel
    - it may be possible but with the theme option built in to customized your
    theme..do you still need child theme to edit it?
    most of our themes are user wise...means users did not need to touch html/css to customize their site...you could try similiar method like bp-sn-parent and their child themes..not sure if it work tho.

@scotm
    there's some error in includes/custom-functions.php...download the attachment and rename it to custom-functions.php and replace the one inisde includes/
    update here if the problem fix ok:slight_smile:

cheers

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

attach doesn't seem to work..
    checkback again for a update on the bp-social later today.

cheers

@scotm

try openup includes/custom-functions.php and delete the top
    functions except until start of the_excerpt_featured()

see if it fixed the problem:slight_smile:

• vivid2k

Richie_KS, thanks for all the support!

I look forward to the changes and will wait until I make the switch. Are we looking at a couple weeks out for the changes?

Also, I am glad to be apart of this site, well worth the $79/month!

• arnonel
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@Richie_KS

yeah, id love to make some changes to the theme (not just colours). If i change the files and you guys release an update, i lose my changes. Thats why child themes rock

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@vivid2k
    sure..no prob..the initial first changelog should take 1-2 days
    so you can expect the update sooner than you thought:slight_smile:

@arnonel
    good thinking:slight_smile:
    will see if i can use child theme for the bp-social..will include sample
    child theme inside the updated version.

i know some custom function, hooks action will lose when you update the
    themes...so child theme definately worth looking in our future release theme.

cheers

• vvaughn
    • New Recruit

@Richie_KS, @scotm

I had the same error scotm mentioned:

Warning: copy(///public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/thumb.php) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ///public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-social/includes/custom-functions.php on line 19

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at ///public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-social/includes/custom-functions.php:19) in ///public_html/wp-content/plugins/sidebar-login/sidebar-login.php on line 302

I applied @Richie_KS's solution:

try openup includes/custom-functions.php and delete the top
    functions except until start of the_excerpt_featured()

And it worked GREAT!

• maisapostas
    • Flash Drive

Its possible to have the changes you are making on template? (files you changed).

Because I'm already making some hacks and css changes on template and is easyer to upgrade.

Btw, this is my 1st site based on your template (Still developing/testing): Receitas (is a cooking site on portuguese language)

• carinallc
    • Flash Drive

I think the situation I encountered is similar to the above, but can't be sure.

Brand new WPMU+BuddyPress install, using 1.1.3

Upon activation, I get this error:

admin3cig/html/oswegobook/wp-content/themes/bp-sn-parent/scripts/) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/a/d/m/admin3cig/html/oswegobook/wp-content/themes/bp-social/includes/custom-functions.php on line 24

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@vvaughn
    glad it work out for you:slight_smile:

@maisapostas
    love the color scheme done on your site:slight_smile:
    theme option color changed will not affect your current site setting when you update the theme later...widget also will be untouch..
    i see the button (login-signup-search..etc) color changed..this
    must be the edit you meant right?

i include a custom.css inisde includes folder..you should used the custom.css
    for any future edit/extra css so upgrade will not loss your css...instruction
    are in the custom.css for any css id hack...in this case the button style..
    just copy paste any edited css to custom.css...if you have doubt on update..just be sure make backups before overwrite your current theme..just for precaution..

cheers

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

apply this patch if you encounter [function.copy] error

download the attachment - unzipped txt file and rename to custom-functions.php
    upload/replace into bp-social/includes/ folder

it should fix/remove the error

ps
    this patch will be apply to 1.1 soon.

• arnonel

Guys, activation mails are not getting sent out since i started using this theme. Is that possible?

Any advice on how i get activation mails back?

p.s.
    Could be that registration isnt work at all. How can i tell. If someone registers, it says success etc, but i cant see anything in the DB and activation mails are not getting sent out

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@lichter
    seem ok in demo here...did you make any edits to the member-left.php or
    other tpl...look like member-left div is wrapping around all the way to footer in group slug but member slug look ok tho...

try adding more activity and dummy members to fill in the blank...see if that's the problem....or reupload a fresh copy without any edit.see if the break go away:slight_smile:

@arnonel
    did this happened when you used the bp-social only or even using bp-sn-parent causing this problem too?
    which version of bp you using...if it is 1.1.3...not sure if they changed the
    core tpl in registration folder but you can copy the 1.1.3 bp-sn-parent registration folder and replace to bp-social...and remove the '<?php get_sidebar(); ?>' for both activate.php and register.php..see if its fixed the
    reg email problem.

do you have the remove email activation plugin inside mu-plugins?
    that may also cause the problem...

• nexia
    • New Recruit

great theme.... now we need bbPress versions... :wink:

a lot of people are requesting a better BP/*bbPress integration, so maybe you'd have some more clients if you provide bbPress versions of your new styles?...

also, BIG thanks to keep your themes 100% BP made... too much customization on languages and functions make it so cumbersome for tracking changes... :slight_smile:

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@lichter
    glad you got it working...will noted down this error for new version...must
    be some hidden unclose div when no member found in groups.

@vivid2k
    no worry...james will be updating the thread when 1.1 avaialble
    some update will done to fit the new bp 1.1.3 released...some changes on
    the site wide post/activity core i think...also the new features like gallery
    and possible child theme expand.

@nexia
    likewise:slight_smile:
    i was thinking on sync the buddypress theme with it own
    bbpress theme like bp-corporate with it own similiar style bbpress, bp-social with it own similiar style bbpress etc...
    but since new bp core had the built in forum...i kind of skip the development
    on that part....and now if we have bbpress with theme option alike...now that definately on the a-list for next year development..hehe...stay tune..you might be suprise:slight_smile:

@teethgrinder
    sweet..looking alive there:slight_smile:

@colorful_tones
    i see you got it working already..

What are 'Add YouTube' 'Add Flickr' links in Full Profile

the setting page had an extra option for you to add flickr id and youtube video id...the current version did not use setting->slug (will be update on next version) so you may encounter error if you use other language..you can still access it on your setting page the flickr-youtube tab.

curious if anyone manage to test this extra option....did anyone get this to work....if it successfully save..it should have a tick in text field and in profile
    there will be flickr image line up and a youtube videos too....anyone?

cheers

• carinallc
    • Flash Drive

I'm still not understanding what the YouTube and Flicker links are supposed to do. I added a YouTube ID to a Group, but have no idea what to look for.

Also, I encountered a vague error when creating a topic as part of a forum. It says this:

There was an error when creating the topic

And that's it.

Brand new WPMU+BP install.

• teethgrinder
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello! I'd like to ask if it's possible to have 3 more templates for main blog pages: a fullwidth, a sidebar left and a sidebar right. I don't like the 3 columns for info and support pages I'm planning to publish (really not nice a simple:press forum stuck in a ~300px width) . I know I could do 'em by myself but I think those could be useful also for others. :slight_smile:

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@vivid2k
    should be around the corner soon..the gallery are in place but still need
    to finalize the child theme usage..:slight_smile:

@carinallc
    the flickr and youtube only showed in single item profiles page..along
    with the members info etc...it did not showed in groups slug.

@teethgrinder
    yeap..this was also added to the new features list..along with gallery and child theme ability.

homepage
    - can choose between 2 or 3 column
    - turn on and off gallery
    - optional choice without using gallery, you can used normal articles block
    like the previous bptheme we released.

blog/pages
    - choose layout for blog - 2column left or 2 column right and default 3 column.
    - page template for pages added - full width/2col/3col

cheers

• DrBestshape
    • New Recruit

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR, expecting ',' or ';' in /mnt/w0511/d23/s42/b02fe04e/www/getinthebestshape.com/wp-content/themes/bp-social/includes/custom-functions.php on line 86

Having issues installing bp- social - what am i doing wrong?

it does not let me access my dashboard either - I have to completely delete bp-social for me to do anything.

also how do i set up a multi-db account? do i need to ? if i don't will it make my site slower? - what does one even need a multi- db for?

sry alot of questions but just want to clarify everything thank you
    looking frw for the new release on bp social.

- also when ever bp- social starts working for me is there a way to add footer in it like the bp-corp theme has?

eagerly waiting or a response

Thank you

-DBS

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@maisapostas
    the new version already sent thro and should be available soon..

@DrBestshape
    you can check the previous response on fixing this issue but new version 1.1
    should also fixed this problem.

- dashboard access error
    the theme shouldn't have any effect on dashboard access...is there some
    privacy plugin causing this?

- multi-db question
    any takers?..i'm not familiar with this plugin..hehe

-adding footer like bp-corp
    i'm affraid you'll need to edit the footer.php for that...make comparison
    on bp-corp footer..it should be easy to add the 3 block footer but without
    widget ability tho..you'll need to dig deep on functions.php for it.

anyway, new version with child theme for bp-social should be available soon and you can try the edit with child theme..if you're familiar with child theme:slight_smile:

cheers

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

BuddyPress Social v1.1 released. Here are some of the added features
    and fixes.

v1.1
    =======================================================
    - added gallery style and articles style featured block controllable via theme options
    - added home and blog layout option - choose between 2 column or 3 column
    - added page template - full width and 2 column
    - fixed slug for setting and member on custom component and avatar post
    - fixed custom-function copy.function error in earlier version
    - added bp-social-childtheme
    - refine css for new bp 1.1.3 activity blockquote css
    - fixed group layout break if no member detected - problem cause by endif was close before '</div>'
    - add optional advertisment or script block in header image position..user can add ads here instead of custom image header...suitable for skywide 720x90 ads

let us know if you found any bug etc ok.

cheers

• maisapostas
    • Flash Drive

Hi Richie_KS,

Great job again!!!

But I need some help...

I upgrade 2h ago the theme (backup, delete the old bp-social and upload the bp-social and parent to themes folder, everything is ok (just to let you know).

I need to know how to remove community and home from parent, so my registed users when choose this template only have blog and pages.

I also need to know how to define default widgets to the parent and dont let my registed users change them.

One sugestion, you can also add a option to change buttons color. (I edit on custom, but will be nicer if i have that option on theme options).

Once again, great job.

(I already have 122 members on this "beta test", as soon I can do the blogs thing, I will start advertising the site and also deploy this theme on more 33 domains (one for choosed niche), so I can be a really example how the template is used on live sites, I'm also think on a plugin to do like: "Users who are registed/like this network also like this, that and other network", I will also deploy/integrate buddypress with this theme on a employment site I have with more than 100.000 registed users and try to make someting similar to linkedin.. I'm only looking the server resources I will need)

• maisapostas
    • Flash Drive

I'm only ask if exist some plugins to do that... and the option on template is related to theme customization as is included on template advertised text :slight_smile:

Of course I will need to hiring one or more developers to do some tweaks but 1st I need to know what exists before hiring and plan my budget...

One final note, I'm an honest person and I say why i need changes but please dont treated me as I am millionaire because I dont am, I'm just a person who makes sites to living, working like 20h a day (Right now is 6:42 where I live and Im awake since 3 am...), and on my country this kind of traffic have a 1% value compared whit sites one same dimension on US or UK market, and your response sound like "If you have such sites you need to pay more to us give support on this plugins", beside this I give information about my sites and my plans to have developers motivated to see how things they build is used and give some feedback about what they can improve on skills/functions..

• carinallc
    • Flash Drive

Love the update, thanks for making a very nice looking theme that really adds alot to the BuddyPress community!

One question: I'm looking at the Home page (the one shown to visitors) and am curious how to decrease the height of the header area.

Or, is there an optimal logo size to use when adding a custom logo to the header?

Thanks

• gotwidget
    • New Recruit

Hi! Can someone tell me the steps I need to do to create a custom theme based on bp-social that uses bp-social-blog - this is so I can use this theme for my second blog that doesn't need all of the social features.

Thanks!
    Ron

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@maisapostas
    you could easly edit the global button style in _inc/css/global.css
    search for this 2 line
    input[type='submit'], input[type='button']
    input[type='submit']:hover, input[type='button']:hover

-removing home and community in blog other than main blog
    you can used the global blog_id check to remove any element you do not
    want to show in secondary(user) blog...something like this

<?php
    global $blog_id;
    if($blog_id == '1') {
    <!-- this content only show in blog id 1 - main blog -!>
    }
    ?>

- global parent widget across all blog
    not sure about this but i think someone mention about this in forum
    while back...search for it ok....a plugin solution i remember..

@gotwidget

step1
    using child theme...copy the index.php from bp-social and paste into
    your child theme..rename it to home.php
    that should make your secondary blog a blog style without the frontpage

step2
    copy the header.php to your child theme and comment out this line like this
    <?php /* if( is_home() && !is_user_logged_in()) { include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/top-header.php'); } */ ?>
    this will remove the non logged in intro header for your secondary blog.

step3
    you need to activate the child theme.in your case the bp_social-blog
    in admin themes and activate the theme again in theme appearence.
    in your secondary blog.

cheers

• arnonel

I like the idea of the rotating feature block, but....

when a user is not logged in and the feature block is showing, the home page doesnt look that good in my opinion.

is it possible to only add the feature block when a user is logged in? (ie, when you remove the top blog intro image?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi arnonel

open up home.php and edit this line to

<?php if( is_user_logged_in()) { ?>
    <?php
    $featured_status = get_option('tn_buddysocial_blog_featured_style_status');
    if($featured_status == "enable") {
    include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/gallery.php');
    } ?>
    <?php } ?>

add the extra bold line above
    in any case you can completely disable it via theme option.

• JoseffB
    • The Crimson Coder

I just wanted to say this theme is awesome! I'd like to know if there is a sub-blog theme that goes with this one? I'd like to set it as the default blog theme when a user creates one.

Also is there a way to combine the Social tabs with another theme like anarchy ( for the 101 themes batch).

• vivid2k

Hey, as for the rotating block I requested last week, I got a question.

I should have stated this at first but no worries:

I was hoping to use it for one of the widget areas on the homepage.

How can I do that?

• SocialProjects
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello guys,

It's my first time here and I'm not sure where to post.

In any case, I was wondering if any of you would know why my BuddyPress Social theme is missing a plugins tab on its dashboard?

I just have replaced my former AvenueK9 theme for this one, however, and although it looks way better, I couldn't find a way to import the same plugins I had back on AvenueK9.

Please, advise if you have any idea.

Take care,

Ar

• soundpublishing

I love the theme and my team is working on a new site to take advantage of it. One thing we're looking for is additional widget sidebars. For example, the right column on groups pages seems to be hard-coded and not configured as a sidebar. Is there an easy way for me to add it (I can't seem to locate it in the templates), or could it be added to the product in a new build?

Thanks.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@arnonel
    it is possible but need to remove and add some hardcoded stuff:slight_smile:
    i would suggest check out cycle.js (google for it)..this could rotate
    your images more smoothly.

@Joseff
    which social tab?..you lost me there...hehe

@Stef1978
    the copy.function error had been fixed in v1.1...another release
    with major ie fix v1.1.2 will be out soon...this should also fixed your
    problem and as well fix ie bug for your ie viewers.

@vivid2k
    the rotater as plugins...i think there's already a similiar plugins exist..is it?
    you can always disable the gallery entirely and used plugins fror the 3 widget on homepage..not sure if any content gallery plugin can fit in the 3 grid home page tho..the home widget area each are 300px+ only..

@SocialProjects
    the themes shouldn't have effected any admin core..in your case the plugin tabs..do you upgrade the wpmu recently..it maybe cause by some missing upgrade file when you auto-upgrade....recheck if the plugins tabs still missing after manual upgrade ok.

@soundpublishing
    sound good....will add group-left widget and group-right widget to the
    v1.2 update..

cheers

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

problems noted..

-adminbar problem
    the problem cause by using the child theme as main theme and the default bp_core_adminbar_css is process so it conflicted witha bp social
    adminbar style....fix had been apply and will update the theme version
    soon.

@Joseff
    not sure if the social tab appliable in all the theme pack:slight_smile:
    unless all the theme had the same hook so you can drop a plugin
    to mu-plugin..in this case not possible.:slight_smile:

please open a new thread for the bp-fun problem ok...so its easy for me to track..cheers

@af3
    did you set your custom-field key..you know the 'thumbs'..you need
    to change to your own existed custom key or set a new one.

• SocialProjects
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Richie_KS,

Thanks for your update.

I'm working hard on getting my site ready. The theme is awesome and there's no much I need to do to get my site customized for a beta. However, I've uploaded a "Community" plugin and I intend to have it working to post city-specific information. However, after uploaded it's not working.

I believe something is missing and I have not idea how to create my first community.

Also, after uploading a WPMU-capable plugin, I've been receiving this error message on everyone's blog.

Please note: "Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/vecindar/public_html/wp-content/plugins/super-capcha/super-captcha.php on line 175".

Any idea what that is and why is that happening? Should I remove that plugin (at this point I'm not sure which one made that to happen).

Looking forward for your reflexions on this one.

Cheers,

Ar

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

BuddyPress Social v1.1.2 Updates released..here are some the changes

changelog v1.1.2
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - added widget for group slug - group left and group right
    - fixed ie major bug
    - fixed admin bar default core css overwrite the theme option css
    - fixed facebook avatar image scale
    - added global button css via theme option

cheers

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

just reupdate one line css in 1.1.2 sec ago.
    redowload the theme and let me know how it go ok

the style.css should be indicate 1.1.2b
    also you need to resave option just incase..

note
    if any downloaded previous 1.1.2, please redownload
    the theme version again...the style.css should mark
    1.1.2b changelog for the fix version.

• SocialProjects
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello guys,

I've removed SuperCaptcha plugin and the message error disappeared.

Also, I would like to bring to your attention the case I've posted above regarding the building of a Community within BuddyPress Social ecosystem.

I'm also curious on how to get the default titles removed from NavBar tabs. I mistakely posted this one on a Plugin-related forum and obtained no responses leading me to get this situation over with.

If you guys have any idea, please share it. Your advise will be very much appreciated.

Cordially,

Ar

• emeraldpiggy
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@arnonel
    did this happened when you used the bp-social only or even using bp-sn-parent causing this problem too?
    which version of bp you using...if it is 1.1.3...not sure if they changed the
    core tpl in registration folder but you can copy the 1.1.3 bp-sn-parent registration folder and replace to bp-social...and remove the '<?php get_sidebar(); ?>' for both activate.php and register.php..see if its fixed the
    reg email problem.

do you have the remove email activation plugin inside mu-plugins?
    that may also cause the problem...

hi i have replaced those 2 files and i still cant get it working
    plz advice

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@arnonel
    glad the updates fixed the problem..

@SocialProjects
    NavBar tabs?
    do you mean the adminbar?
    bp-social 1.1.2 fixed this issue with using child theme vs parent theme.
    in previous version, if you used child theme..the bp_core_adminbar css overwrite the bp-social adminbar css...try update to v1.1.2 and see if the problem fix:slight_smile:

@emeraldpiggy
    try disable all plugin except bp..and also remove any plugins inside
    mu-plugin (don't delete it just move to other folder) and see if the
    signup problem fix.

• Adeptris

I have imported Dummy posts into the Blog so you can see the formatting problem, the themes are in the correct directory, the child theme is active.

Other themes are formating the bullets and quotes ok but not BP-Social, anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong, I really want to use this theme but need the formatting fixed?

You can see the formatting issues here: http://taggeriffic.com/blog

David

• HOMEHOST
    • New Recruit

Hi I installed the buddypress social theme on my blog which means that I selected the theme only for buddy press not the main website- it works very well - but I need to edit the theme layout -- where do I do that? please note that my main theme is another theme not buddy press?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@emeraldpiggy
    did the problem solved already?

@Adeptris
    the ul ol issue had been noted..

@HOMEHOST
    hi
    are you looking to edit the buddypress (bp-social) theme or
    your main site theme..

if its the bp-social...theme option should take care any css customization.
    as for layout, you'll have to check out the child theme templating since
    the bp-social v1.1.2 also include child theme for customization..

cheers

• Cosmo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Soryy..please. I have spent all day reading and trying to find my way through pb and mu. in have succeded in installing the latest version...now stucked with.customization.
    please pardon me for wrongly posting this in another forum before comming accross this.........

I just have uploaded buddypress fun theme. but cant customise it the way i want. I want to change the upper right hand tabs (HOME- BLOG- GROUPS FORUMS- MEMBERS -BLOGS) to something more meaningful to me like (NEWS-EVENTS) and do not know to do it. please any help will be appriciated.
    Again i want to have a home page that contains tabs like news, events etc.Its highlights will be available to users and non-users, but the details of this tabs will be availble only for users at login....really...no idea...
    please help!

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@Cosmo

you can define the SLUG for component by adding similiar code to
    your wp-config.php

define('BP_GROUPS_SLUG', 'your-group-slug-name');

many bp user overlooked this in codex to modify the SLUG-name,
    personally i only discover this couple of week ago.

not sure if it will had error effect the theme itself tho.

@soundpublishing

will see if the layout can be expand extra 50px for right sidebar.
    current one only 250px:wink:

note
    ul ol issue will be update in next version.

• RoneNeffect

Hi there,

I am experiencing the following issues after uploading to the 1.2 compatible bp-social theme:

1. Activity stream is not shown on homepage (for logged in members or visitors). I don't have an Activity widget either. However, I do see the "Activity" page tab and clicking that pulls up the stream.

2. "Members" "Groups" & "Blogs" subpages under the "Community" tab redirect back to icraftsingles.com/social instead of icraftsingles.com/social/members...etc.

3. There is no "Blogs" tab. Not sure if that was taken out on purpose, but it appears on the main BP demo site http://testbp.org/

4. Admin bar background color is not effected when I change its setting in "Theme Options". This was also the case with the last version of bp-social and I just directly edited the CSS file then. So I can fix this issue myself, but just thought I'd make you aware.

5. I am using the "Login with Ajax" plugin and my member Avatar isn't showing up in the sidebar, instead the generic avatar shows up. I believe this is a theme issue because when I switch to another theme like bp-scholar or bp-corporate, the member avatar displays fine.

There are couple of other CSS tweaks I will make but most are personal preferences. One you may consider standardizing is making the cursor type change to a link cursor [cursor:pointer] when hovering over buttons (i.e. "Search" or "Login")

icraftsingles.com/social
    WPMU 2.9.1.1, Subdirectory install.

PS - Love the font size option. Great work. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• RoneNeffect

Ok I resolved issue #2 by deactivating the "BuddyPress Backwards Compatibility" plugin (duh)

I also deactivated some other non-BP 1.2 compatible plugins but the rest of the issues persist.

I also added the out-of-the-box "Recent Site Wide Posts" widget and got a stretched image and some duplicate view links. This issue persists for a logged in users as well (Only there are dual "view | delete" links instead).

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi David
    assuming you're using the latest bp-social version
    open header.php and find this line 149 and comment it out like this

<?php /* if($bp_existed == 'true') { ?>
    <?php if ( !bp_is_register_page() && !bp_is_activation_page() ) { ?>
    <?php if( !is_user_logged_in() ) { load_template (TEMPLATEPATH . '/top-header.php'); } ?>
    <?php } ?>
    <?php } else { ?>
    <?php if( !is_user_logged_in() ) { load_template (TEMPLATEPATH . '/top-header.php'); } ?>
    <?php } */ ?>

hi RoneNeffect

@issue1
    you need to go to setting -> reading and choose activity stream as frontpage to make it
    like testbp dot org.

@issue2
    yeap..the plugin maybe the problem.

@issue 3
    it should be under community tab

@issue 4
    did it work on main site?
    or you mean site wide...ye know other blogs..do you have the bp-global-adminbar-css.php in mu-plugins/
    some updates on bp-social 1.1.7 on php stylesheet sync..you may want to update it...be sure to make backups first:slight_smile:

@issue 5
    bp-social did not have avatar on the top nav where welcome,admin...bp-nav stuff at

just open topbar.php. in line 10+, there should be code similiar to this
    < li id="li-user" ><?php _e('Welcome back'); ?>, <?php bp_loggedinuser_link() ?>

edit to this

< li id="li-user" ><?php bp_loggedin_user_avatar( 'width=20&height=20' ) ?> <?php _e('Welcome back'); ?>, <?php bp_loggedinuser_link() ?>

*bold - added/edited text

cheers

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

I also added the out-of-the-box "Recent Site Wide Posts" widget and got a stretched image and some duplicate view links. This issue persists for a logged in users as well (Only there are dual "view | delete" links instead).

its the Recent_Sitewide Widget Core issue...i had this problem too with bp-default 1.2 theme.

• RoneNeffect

Thanks Richie. You pretty much answered everything!

Here's hoping a SWA widget comes soon. I'd like to have a little more control over the activity stream (number of items displayed etc.) as well as be able to place widgets below it. I think I liked it better when you could put the activity stream wherever because it was a widget. Seems like the activity stream has been made into an ultimatum now. ;o]

Also, I think we are talking about two different things in regards to the avatar issue. I'm not wanting an avatar displayed in the "welcome back, username" section.

I was using a plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/login-with-ajax/) which places an ajax based login widget in the sidebar. When logged in, the widget shows up, but not the avatar of the logged in user. This issue only occurs with the bp-social theme, but works fine with other themes. see attachment.

Thanks.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

bp-social v1.1.5 released.

here's some changelog
    - added missing modify to theme option php to stylesheet sync
    - fix ie issue, especially missing avatar block in ie8..some css ruling needed apply
    - compatible up to buddypress 1.2.1
    - missing depth=0 for navigation subpage
    - added li border line for directory

@RoneNeffect

I was using a plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/login-with-ajax/) which places an ajax based login widget in the sidebar

i tested the plugins and doesn't seem to work with bp themes..even bp-default cannot sync
    the profile avatar...does the plugin support buddypress...the one that work in your site are normal
    wordpress theme right?..so supposely main site with bp activated do not work well with the plugin.

• RoneNeffect

Hi Ritchie,

The plugin is designed for BP. I actually got it from there plugins page. It is rather strange though. When I tested the plugin on my install with the latest version of BP-fun, community, & corporate, it shows fine (see attachments). This isn't a huge issue, but from my end there are other BP premium themes working fine with the plugin, except social.

I will upgrade to bp-social v1.1.5 and BP- 1.1.2 and see if that helps at all.

Thanks!

• RoneNeffect

bp-social v1.1.5 released.
    here's some changelog
    - added missing modify to theme option php to stylesheet sync
    - fix ie issue, especially missing avatar block in ie8..some css ruling needed apply
    - compatible up to buddypress 1.2.1
    - missing depth=0 for navigation subpage
    - added li border line for directory

Nice! Sub-nav child pages are definitely working now.

1 - Also, the login-with-ajax widget is now displaying fine all pages except my the homepage. Weird. Again, it displays fine on other premium theme homepages, as per my last message.

2 - My activity stream now seems to be missing all items except one. Should that have happened after upgrading the theme? http://icraftsingles.com/social/activity

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

i tried the plugin and login as admin in main site and it did get the profile and avatar correctly but
    when try login as another user..the profile and avatar remained as admin...

try login with a users that was not a site admin of the visited blog..and see if the profile avatar
    get fetch correctly..in my end it doesn't..not sure if it had something to do with my user meta:slight_smile:

did you activate the plugin sitewide or single?

@activity problems..
    you're right...its only fetch one activity...
    the user profile activity also did not work....

but it work in demo and my locatest tho...did you upgrade the bp to 1.2.1?
    maybe upgrade file corruptions...will track this problem.

• RoneNeffect

Upgraded to BP 1.2.1 and bp-social 1.1.5

i tried the plugin and login as admin in main site and it did get the profile and avatar correctly but when try login as another user..the profile and avatar remained as admin...

\

^Yes, this is my experience as well.

try login with a users that was not a site admin of the visited blog..and see if the profile avatar get fetch correctly..in my end it doesn't..not sure if it had something to do with my user meta:slight_smile:

^Same thing happened to me. I logged in as a non-admin user, but the admin avatar was fetched anyway, instead of the correct one.

did you activate the plugin sitewide or single?

^Tried it both ways, same results. :slight_smile:

@activity problems..

^Resolved after upgrading to 1.2.1 :slight_smile:

Thanks. I will probably just deactivate the login with ajax plugin until the problem is resolved. Its not a neccessity, but a nice convienece to usres, expecially since it worked fine prior to BP 1.2 and latest version of social. No biggy.

Cheers.

• RoneNeffect

Hi Ritchie,

What would be the easiest way to add a horizontal line rule <hr /> between items in the activity stream for bp-social? Right now, I just feel like its too easy for one's eyes to to miss where one item ends and another begins. Thanks.

• RoneNeffect

Hi Ritchie,

Updated to bp-social 1.1.7 and now the blog avatars all pull the admin blog's avatar:

http://icraftsingles.com/social/blogs

any ideas?

My "members" page pulls avatars just fine.

Lastly, I can't seem to access the page with the main blog posts? If you look at the main blog it points to http://icraftsingles.com/social instead of http://icraftsingles.com/social/blog. But even when I manually try to go to http://icraftsingles.com/social/blog it redirects to a page: http://icraftsingles.com/social/tools/blog-help

Could this be a permalink issue?

Thanks

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi RoneNeffect

i had similiar problem too...it seem buddypress did not work well with pages since it had
    built in activity stream attach...my only solution will be clear the 'point to blog page' in wordpress
    pages setting -> reading and add a page template 'news & blog' that i provided inside theme...it did not work if you set the 'blog' in setting -> reading - > posts pages.

also you might want to check up the latest updates on bp-social theme...

changelog
    v1.1.8
    - add border line for activity stream
    - update adminbar to new bp 1.2 style
    - fixed adminbar dropdown missing in sub blog

cheers

• RoneNeffect

Great, that works.

I think it's an acceptable, although temporary workaround. The only problems:

1) There is no "older posts" link that the bottom of the inserted "News & Blog" page to view older posts. Right now its only show 5 of my blog posts.

2) It doesn't update the link correctly on the Blogs Directory. It still points to /social instead of /social/blog
    ------------------

Any insight on the Blogs Directory avatar issue?

- fixed adminbar dropdown missing in sub blog

^Could you tell me what code was modified? I've already made major changes to the CSS files and it would insane to overwrite all of them and lose my changes.

Thanks

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@blog and blogs link
    work fine in my end.

http://icraftsingles.com/social/blog/
    this point to your news and blog

http://icraftsingles.com/social/blogs/
    this point to rhe blog directory listing

or am i missing something here?

@adminbar
    that will be _inc/css/adminbar.css

i'm affraid you need to update this cause the old style (grey bar) css did not work in sub-blog
    with the dropdown..js and bp adminbar core css changed in bp 1.2 so old style bar are not
    functional in sub blog.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

1. avatar issue
    that's odd...try go to wp-content/blogs.dir/YOUR_BP_BLOG_ROOT/files/group-avatar
    see if there's group avatar images there?

2. social blog link
    that is the default link to the main site..your current main site url are
    http://icraftsingles.com/social
    and not
    http://icraftsingles.com/social/blog/ <!--this is a page template pages-->
    so user click visit blog the main site link are http://icraftsingles.com/social

3. no pre next nav in blog tempale
    open bp-social/template-blog.php and find the this line
    <?php endwhile; ?>

add below it this code
    <div id="post-navigator">
    <div class="alignright"><?php next_posts_link( __( '« Previous Entries', 'bp-social' ) ) ?></div>
    <div class="alignleft"><?php previous_posts_link( __( 'Next Entries »', 'bp-social' ) ) ?></div>
    </div>

• RoneNeffect

1. avatar issue
    that's odd...try go to wp-content/blogs.dir/YOUR_BP_BLOG_ROOT/files/group-avatar
    see if there's group avatar images there?

I didn't find the file, but I think you may have answered my question. All blogs share the same avatar as the main blog? Is there a place to set a unique avatar for each blog?

2. social blog link

Ok, I understand. This is just confusing to users as they are expecting to go to a page with blog entires and are, in essence, sent back to the home page. So I will just hard code the URL to the page that holds the the blog entries. :o)

3. no pre next nav in blog tempale

Code worked like a charm. Many Thanks!

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

1.avatar issue
    the path is correct..when user created group-avatar..it should created a folder path like
    wp-content/blogs.dir/YOUR_BP_BLOG_ROOT/files/group-avatar/1
    wp-content/blogs.dir/YOUR_BP_BLOG_ROOT/files/group-avatar/2
    wp-content/blogs.dir/YOUR_BP_BLOG_ROOT/files/group-avatar/3

and so on.....accroding to their group id.

try reedit one of the groups avatar and see if it properly saved.

• RoneNeffect

My directory structure is a little different for some reason.

I see the "avatars" folder, and avatars, but only in the main blog directory. There is no avatars folder in the other blog directories.

Main blog [1]: wp-content\blogs.dir\1\files\avatars\1

User blog avatar folder: wp-content\blogs.dir\1\files\avatars\2

User blog avatar folder: wp-content\blogs.dir\1\files\avatars\2

---

User blog [2]: wp-content\blogs.dir\2 does not have an avatar folder in it.

Thanks

• RoneNeffect

Hi Richie,

Any luck on figuring out how to get the Site Wide Activity to show up on the homepage without totally replacing all the widgets?

I have seen this request a couple of times, but am not sure how "in-demand" it is. It just really seems a little inconvenient to have an ultimatum in regards to the SWA. As it stands now, you can have it on the homepage, but must sacrifice all other homepage widgets. The only other current alternative is to have it on a separate tab.

Thanks.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

User blog [2]: wp-content\blogs.dir\2 does not have an avatar folder in it.

yes..this is normal..
    all avatars and group-avatars are save in blogs.dir/1/files/ - this is your main site folder

check if
    wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/avatars/1
    wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/avatars/2
    wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/avatars/3

have avatar images in them.

Any luck on figuring out how to get the Site Wide Activity to show up on the homepage without totally replacing all the widgets?

using the <?php include(TEMPLATEPATH . '/activity/index.php'); ?> to any location should
    be ok but some limitation tho.

since the 1.2 core activity used level thread reply etc...small place like sidebar may not
    be approriate...will check if some function can called to disable reply and used old school SWA
    without level thread.

cheers

• RoneNeffect

Thanks. I look forward to any advances you can make on this. I would certainly settle for a streamlined SWA in order to have it on the homepage.

I did plant <?php include(TEMPLATEPATH . '/activity/index.php'); ?> in home.php, but it distorted the layout of the other widgets.

• greekheraldry
    • New Recruit

Hello everyone,

First of all, congrats for the excellent work on the themes, however I have some trouble with BP Social.

The url is http://greekheraldry.org/ as you will see the featured gallery doesn't appear.
    I have as custom field the "thumbs" word and I then copy the URL of the image (in the custom field)

The issues are:

1. I picked two categories (15,22)
    2. In the featured post it appears a page rather than the post categories
    3. If I add only one category, there is only one blue background appearing.
    4. What's the dimensions of the featured picture?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Dimis

• greekheraldry
    • New Recruit

Hello all,

I realized my mistake, I was looking for category-id, while it was posting-id. The only issue remaining now is that I do not see the picture, despite the fact that I'm using the custom fields, using the default word "thumbs" and the picture url which is in the format : http--://greekheraldry.org/files/2010/03/posting145.png

Any ideas why I still see the blue field rather than the image?

Warm Regards,
    Dimis

• RoneNeffect

Hey R,

I am trying to style the "Join Group" and "Leave Group" links via the the child style sheet. For the life of me I can't get it to work using the #custom or !important overrides.

my code:

.join-group a { color: #d70000 !important; }

• RoneNeffect

@Richie_KS

That bit of code didn't work either. I did figure out (via Chrome's code inspector) that the following code in the PHP is what is governing the styling of that button:

<?php if($tn_buddysocial_blog_header_text_link_hover_color != "") { ?>
    #top-bar a:hover, #user-status p a:hover, #custom .avatar-box a:hover {
    color: <?php echo $tn_buddysocial_blog_header_text_link_hover_color; ?>!important;
    }
    <?php } ?>

With this new found knowledge, how should I proceed?

Thanks.

• grahamlindsey

Hi there,

I've been watching this thread and am having the same problem. I have the image URL in the custom fields (I'm using "thumbs" as well) and the URLs are correct, too. In Safari (Mac) using the Activity Monitor I can see that the page actually calls the images but they don't appear. I've tried up to four images and as few as one... and the only time I've ever seen anything is when on image (the first one specified) flashed on-screen (in its proper place) and then disappeared. On this end it's definitely the CSS that hides it (for some reason), because it follows the text from the post I've specified in the top left of the gallery div until the CSS loads and correctly formats image and text. Both disappear, and only the text returns to the screen.

When I view page source and copy the code into Dreamweaver it actually displays the image, so I'm working on a potential CSS fix.

Same display issue present with Firefox, Chrome and Netscape Navigator.

Cheers,
    Graham

• grahamlindsey

In case people are waiting on my finding a solution, I couldn't in the CSS and figure perhaps it's a JS issue. It looks as if the image is positioned outside the viewing area and then the JS brings it onscreen, but the last part just isn't happening correctly.

I've seen other instances where the theme developer has responded, and I suspect he's a busy guy but I wonder if he might be able to shed any light on this.

Alternatively, if there are situations where it has worked perhaps we could have a peek and see what the difference may be in the gallery/js coding.

Many thanks (in advance),
    -g

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@greekheraldry
    i see the article mode featured are working..if you switch it to gallery mode..is the
    images still not pulling for the slider?

@RoneNeffect
    oops...the correct code are something like this...
    #custom .generic-button a.join-group, #custom .generic-button a.leave-group {
    background: #000 !important; color: #fff !important;
    }

@grahamlindsey
    could you tried change to article mode for the featured..and see
    the image are properly pulled.

• RoneNeffect

Hi Rich,

Got a couple more css quirks I am trying to work through. Could you take a look at the attached screenshots?

They center around the messaging page that generates between members as well as the create a blog page. Spacing issues appear to be fine in IE, but are present in FF and Chrome (haven't checked Safari)

I also can't seem to effectively change the background color of the avatar-box class.

Thanks

• wickedsoul
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Richie,

I got a problem as well.
    I am using the Social Theme.
    I made some changes, and used MooTools Library to create a sliding door effect for AdminBar.

Now, the site appears fine and everything works cool, until I active Featured Block (Articles or Gallery),
    when the slider just stops responding at all. It appears but seems like the JS is not functioning in this case.

When I disable the Featured Block, the slider starts to work.

Do you have any ideas that can help me figure the trouble?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

@RoneEffect

- message problem
    the message are a bit diffrent from mine..did you made any css edit to it...there shouldn't
    be a blue button block like default theme..the new code may overwrite the code...check
    the screenshot below.

- css problem with create a blog
    add this to custom.css or member.css

h3 a.button {<br />
    float: none !important;<br />
    display: inline-block;<br />
    margin-bottom: 20px;<br />
    }<br />

@wickedsoul
    the mootool definately conflicted with js from featured slider...
    i think there some solution regarding adding js.no conflict method...not sure
    if it will work...try google the js no conflict solution.

cheers

• RoneNeffect

Thanks Rich! That code for the <h3> worked perfectly.

As for the blue block on the messaging page, you are right, it was some additional code I added.

However the "Send a Reply" button is still wanky and there is still a red avatar box on my create a blog page that I can't seem to style nor get rid of. [see screenshots in my previous post for examples of both]

Thanks.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi RoneNeffect
    did the red box an actual red box in red or its just a indicator of space you mark?
    hehe..hope it not confusing:slight_smile:

btw..if you can, create a new user for me to check it out...sent me the access detail
    to rk_8998@yahoo.com

i will check out the problem as soon as possible...admin level will be plus so i can
    check the create a blog page

cheers

• SuppaDuppa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

There are a couple of bugs with the latest (1.2.2) Social theme.
    1. The blog 'intro header background color' setting dontwork
    2. Also the 'intro header shade' is nonfunctional
    3. Also the titles of blog posts are blue even though my links are set to green. Wazzup with that.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.