BuddyPress SOCIAL Theme & BP plugin: Update Issues with customized Social Theme

Hello,

having some issues updating BuddyPress AND the Social Theme...

I run a customized Social Theme on http://TheJazzHang.com

CURRENTLY RUNNING:

WP 3.3
BuddyPress Social 1.2.9 as the PARENT THEME
BuddyPress 1.5.2

FIRST QUESTION: UPDATE ORDER?

I was planning/trying to do it in this order:
1) Update BuddyPress
2) Update Social Theme
3) Update WP

Does that order make sense?

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED WHEN I TRIED TO UPDATE:

1) After updating BUDDYPRESS: site displayed almost normally.
BUT, the narrower column on the RIGHT was no longer showing... (on any of my pages)

2) After updating the SOCIAL THEME:
Site was no longer visible, and I saw THIS ERROR MESSAGE instead:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_theme() in /home/thejazzh/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-social/_inc/functions/options-functions.php on line 10

(After seeing this issue, I deleted the site and restored my backup via BackupBuddy...)

Any pointers?

Thanks!

Falk

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hello Falk

The line referenced in the error $themename = wp_get_theme();

Can you try to update the theme first, then wordpress, with buddypress disabled, then update buddypress before activating?

If you want to get each independently, use a default twenty to update wordpress, then update the theme and activate, same with buddypress.

Best,

Kimberly

• tapswinkler
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks, Kimberly!

When I FIRST tried to update the SOCIAL theme, I got this SAME error message again:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_theme() in /home/thejazzh/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-social/_inc/functions/options-functions.php on line 10

ALSO: I should have maybe mentioned:
    I run a WP MULTI-SITE install. http://TheJazzHang.com is the parent site.

And, also, the customizations for my site are obviously in the CHILD theme of the Social Theme...
    (JUST TO BE CLEAR: only the CHILD THEME should be activated, correct? Or parent & child theme?)

Will restore my backup now and try your other suggestion...

Thanks,

Falk

• tapswinkler

UPDATE:

I now tried the following:

1) switched to default Twenty Eleven Theme & updated WP *FIRST*! (Before that I deactivated ALL plugins!)
    2) Then updated plugins, incl. BUDDYPRESS (still disabled)
    3) Then activated plugins again
    4) LASTLY, I re-activated the SOCIAL THEME again, and updated it.
    (Kimberly, I could not follow your last suggested order, since the (Social) Theme didn't even show up when BUDDYPRESS was not enabled.

Also, re my WP MULTISITE install - clarification:
    In NETWORK ADMIN: have both, Social Child AND Parent theme, enabled.
    On ACTUAL SITE (parent site http://TheJazzHang.com), I ONLY activated the CHILD theme of the Social Theme... (since that has my custom stuff)

ONLY THING NOT BEING CORRECT AFTER UPDATES:
    The RIGHT SIDEBAR didn't display the widgets from before...
    But that should be easy to set up again...

So, BOTTOM LINE:
    the order of "what to update when" did make a difference here...

Thanks,

Falk

• tapswinkler

UPDATE: some issues remain after updating WP, Buddypress & the Social Theme:

Site again: http://TheJazzHang.com

BuddyPress Social Theme (Customized)
    Latest versions of WP, Social Theme & Buddypress.

NOTE: this is the parent site of a WP MULTI-SITE install...
    And the Social Theme's CUSTOMIZATIONS are in the CHILD theme (which is the activated theme on the site), as it should be. (Which did NOT get updated...)

THE CURRENT ISSUES:

1) my existing GROUPS are gone... (I assume somewhere, but not visible...)

2) The SIDEBAR WIDGETS are not correct.
    (I like to show the GROUPS in a lot of them - but I don't see the choice for GROUPS under Widgets on the page... ;()

3) On http://thejazzhang.com/forums/ I see the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function groups_total_forum_topic_count() in /home/thejazzh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-template.php on line 157

Also, when I click on "43 Forum topics": shows me that same error message
    When I click on MY topics (logged in as a certain user: I DO see my 2 topics...).
    So, those topics ARE still there... somewhere...
    E.g.: http://thejazzhang.com/forums/topic/keith-jarrett/

4) Extra Question: I had SPAM signup issues lately...
    Is the SPLOG plugin the best way to go?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/anti-splog/

=> ALSO: is there a way to set WP so that I can MANUALLY approve new user registrations? Can't seem to find that option.
    (I DO see the option to "disable registrations" completely - but that's obviously not the solution...)

Thanks!

Falk

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Okay, I've asked for some help on a couple of topics here.

Moha: It seems that the Social BP Theme is not playing nice with updates.
    Forums page gets this error:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function groups_total_forum_topic_count() in /home/thejazzh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-template.php on line 157
    Groups do not show at all, and Groups widget is lost from widget page.

We've gotten some great feedback from Anti-Splog. But please note the rename signup feature is not buddypress compatible.

As for moderating buddypress signups, that's a long road that's been very bumpy. I've looked and found threads dating back quite some time (2years!) with folks looking for a reliable solution to this. As evidenced here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-moderation-in-buddypress

Best,

Kimberly

• tapswinkler

Anything?

Honestly, 4 days without reply for something I pay over $400/year for (the themes AND support, ok) is a little disappointing. Nothing personal.

But that's kind of the point of having chosen to go with wpmudev.org and using one of its themes - that I get QUICK & SAVVY SUPPORT - since this is stuff for a PRODUCTION SITE - which now sits out there with error messages for days. Not so hip.

Looking forward to resolving this.

Thanks!

Falk

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Falk,

I am very sorry for the delay here.

Honestly, we are in the process of introducing our new theme designer to our products.

The social theme designer has not been with us for quite some time and we also lost our buddypress theme designer some time ago as well. Until we could find a suitable replacement to help us out and catch up on our themes, we have been sharing the effort between our already taxed devs.

I have directly emailed the new theme developer and he will be responding in short order.

Very sorry and Many thanks for your patience.

Best,

Kimberly

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

I've spoken with our theme developer and his suggestion is that you try with the default parent theme, in other words activate Social and see if we can rule out something in the child theme.

If that doesn't work, perhaps trying to reinstall Buddypress to ensure that nothing got lost in the update.

Looking to hear from you.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Falk,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.