Buddypress Social Theme - Forum Page formatting and bullets

Hi Folks, Have above theme. Forum looks a mess (see pic).
Understand this is CSS clash - but this is a BP theme!
Any ideas on fixing? Thanks.

p.s. great improvements to Chat recently - thanks guys.

Mike

Having looked around (i did before I posted but obviously not hard enough...)
    I see there's a 2 week old post and a 6 week old post asking this question. Bothe end with staff saying "I'll ask the developer"... then nothing.
    That's 6 weeks minimum that a dedicated 'buddypress' theme has knowingly been broken and ugly...

From what I can tell the problem boils down to forums being treated as excerpts - they need to be treated as content. Its part PHP part CSS and beyond me. Some info here:
    http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/non-functional-index-page-when-bbpress-2-1rc4-is-used-with-woothemes-canvas-5-05/

Be nice to get it fixed.

Mike

Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post.

any chance you could post a link to the page in question. it should be easier then to view the site & tell you which CSS value to change etc.

as for the excerpt vs content. i don't think there's a definite "it should use the_content" i think that's entirely down to the user, most people are happy with using excerpt on their archive pages & use only the_content on the single page.

and sorry to say, but i'm going to have to ask the developer for feedback regarding the excerpt part of your query.

hope this helps.

thanks.

Mike

@Vaughan

Finished. Didn't fix anything. Ah well.

If you can't sort this by Monday I'll just ditch this theme. It behaves like something only half-thought through.

Great bits- nice front page, widgets for various areas/pages.
    Terrible bits - stupidly massive header on every page (we want non-logged in to enjoy it too! not get rsi from scrolling down to content every time) - ugly forum - takes a lot of work to make the site pretty.

Wish you had a nice BP theme (tried them all, none have 'all' you need, either nice front-page but no custom menu - or custom menu but no per-page widgets etc. ... annoying!)

Let me know how the fix goes. If you could 'per-page' the header I'd stay with it.
    Mike

Vaughan

hiya

i'll be off to bed shortly, but will take a look in the morning if that's ok? my eyes are really sore at moment, been up too long.

if it's any consolation, i haven't found a theme I personally like either yet, and i don't like BP anyway, but theme wise, i haven't seen a theme that fits well with every page of BP, there does always seem to be some mess somewhere, that's pretty much themes from other sites too, not just wpmu. it's BP itself i think that makes it problematic for theme developers. i've stopped looking. i just need to find time to custom design my own theme from scratch. (ok if you know how

wish there was another alternative to BP.

thanks.

Vaughan

hiya

some little CSS fixes here, try in your style.css

i'm not sure which you will prefer

1st, to stop the text overflowing the right column

#bbpress-forums .bbp-forums-list {
        border-left: 0px !important;
        margin: 0 0 0 -24px !important;
        padding-left: 15px !important;
    }

but i much prefer it like this (without the list bullets)

#bbpress-forums .bbp-forums-list {
        border-left: 0px !important;
        margin: 0 0 0 15px !important;
        padding-left: 0px !important;
    }
    #bbpress-forums .bbp-forums-list .post-content ul li ul li {
        background: none !important;
        padding-left: 0px !important;
    }

let me know if this works for you.

thanks

Mike

@Vaughan

Hi Vaughan, Thanks for the code - it makes no difference to the site at all - has no effect.

Per-page header (the big block with picture and login options), I just meant that: When you log in the header goes away - so there's a code snippet somewhere to hide it. But logged out it's on every page and even on a 17" laptop it means you can't really tell you navigated to another page, because it's all under the header, off the bottom and you need to scroll down to see it. After about three page changes even I'm sick of scrolling down - let alone a visitor.
    There needs to be an option to choose a page template, or something, so the header is only only the front page or selected pages.

Right now I can't remove the forum bullets - the theme options in the admin section have crashed so I can't change those, and I have a header that makes the site tedious to navigate. And this is the best "buddypress" theme of all the WPDEV I've tried!

I'm going to find an alternative until this thing becomes usable.

Just by the way - Every theme and plug you have makes your product look great - but out of the box it looks crap. It actually takes a big effort to css the stuff into some sense of decency. As a non-developer, I feel a bit cheated.
    Maybe you could consider offering CSS with some of your plugins (especially classifieds and Biz directory - which look terrific on your ad's, but a dog-pile on my site at least. The alignments are off, links are ugly, tables with outlines look cheap etc.) Some CSS snippets and guides, or styling options in the plug-in set-up pages would work wonders.

I mention this for me, but also because I for one came to you because I don't have time, nor much desire, to become a code junkie. I want things easy. I'm pretty sure the vast majority also do. To appeal to a wider market you'd do well to cater a little more to idiots like me!

Or maybe I should go to CSS school!?

All the best

Mike

Mike

@Vaughan

Hello Again,
    Never let it be said that I won't eat humble pie! Having now tried every theme in the known universe - despite not being that pretty, BP-Social is still the best. Damnit! Can't find another that offers logged in/out menus AND context sensitive widget areas.

So am still looking to fix bullet and formatting on forums. Would still like to kill the 'login block' on all bar homepage. Still can't change options from admin area.

I reverted wp_2_options table to an old version and the Admin area theme options came back. But I've added all the multi-site etc. since then. Obviously something in the options table is breaking the UI, but it would take an age to re-build.

Any hints which entries might be the culprit? I can attach wp_options if it helps.

Off to play for the weekend, woo! Will pick this up on Monday. Thanks for the help so far.
    Mike