BuddyPress Social Theme: how to REMOVE the BIG SIGN-UP HEADER for not logged in users (on EVERY page

Hello,

can somebody please point me in the right direct how to get rid of the SIGN-UP HEADER showing up on every page for the NOT logged-in user on my BUDDYPRESS SOCIAL THEME?

Example: my test page at http://www.jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum

It's too forceful for what I am planning to do...
I want non-members to just browse without always having the above-the-fold area covered with this huge sign-up header on every page.

Actually, I don't even want this on the HOME PAGE... (at least not THIS BIG).

I would prefer to just have a SMALL SIGN-UP LINK in the sidebar, somewhere close to the TOP RIGHT. (And/or lead to a dedicated sign-up page.)

Thanks in advance!

Falk

PS: Other:

1) in case you know the answer to the following as well: how do I switch the TABS (get rid of some of them... make the ACTIVITY tab the LANDING TAB...)

2) how can I remove the BuddyPress Social theme by WPMU Dev" link at the bottom?

=> BTW, the option to get an EMAIL NOTIFICATION when somebody posts answers to threads that one posted to would be GREAT! :wink:

• Mason

Hiya tapswinkler,

The big signup section is obviously a 'big' part of the social theme. You'll either have to edit every template page that calls for this (search for top-header.php).

Alternatively you could edit the top-header.php file (or the css specifically involving the div class "home-intro" in order to make it smaller across all page).

1) in case you know the answer to the following as well: how do I switch the TABS (get rid of some of them... make the ACTIVITY tab the LANDING TAB...)

You can make the Activity page act as the 'home' page or landing page by going to:
    Settings > Reading
    Front page displays: A static page (Activity Stream)

2) how can I remove the BuddyPress Social theme by WPMU Dev" link at the bottom?

Take a look at footer.php :slight_smile:

=> BTW, the option to get an EMAIL NOTIFICATION when somebody posts answers to threads that one posted to would be GREAT! :wink:

You can favorite the thread (look in the right-hand sidebar under "Topic Meta"). That should do the trick.

Thanks!

• tapswinkler

Thanks, MasonJames!

To clarify for the non-geek:

You wrote:

Alternatively you could edit the top-header.php file (or the css specifically involving the div class "home-intro" in order to make it smaller across all page).

Was this referring to making the SIGN-UP HEADER smaller, or the header above it?

I could see making this work for me by making the sign-up header smaller = reducing its height to s/th like a THIRD of its default size - and probably ditching the picture in it.
    Just making it this "text bar" that is present, but doesn't "block" the view from the content below it as much...

=> How would I do that?

Other: Where is the link/URL for having them actually SIGN UP/REGISTER?
    (Mydomain.com/and-now-what ?)

Other other: I saw another BP social theme integrate FACEBOOK CONNECT to sign up.
    How does that work?

Lastly (okay my questions are getting out of hand now, sorry... :wink:: I tried what you suggested re making the Activity Stream the landing tab, but that yielded an error message on the "new" home page.

Thanks again!

Falk

• Richie_KS

How to remove the intro header completely?

open header.php and go to line 195+ and edit this line code

<?php if($bp_existed == 'true') { ?>
    <?php if ( !bp_is_register_page() && !bp_is_activation_page() ) { ?>
    <?php if( !is_user_logged_in() ) { locate_template( array('lib/templates/wp-template/top-header.php'), true ); } ?>
    <?php } ?>
    <?php } else { ?>
    <?php if( !is_user_logged_in() ) { locate_template( array('lib/templates/wp-template/top-header.php'), true ); } ?>
    <?php } ?>

to

<?php /* if($bp_existed == 'true') { ?>
    <?php if ( !bp_is_register_page() && !bp_is_activation_page() ) { ?>
    <?php } ?>
    <?php } else { ?>
    <?php } */ ?>

• tapswinkler

Thanks, Richie!
    (BTW, check out my new intel re how to embed a YOUTUBE video into the SOCIAL THEME via OEMBED here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-embed-youtube-videos-in-buddypress-social
    => Has a good improvement suggestion for the theme's code! :wink:)

And you DID mean getting rid of the SIGN-UP HEADER part, right?

Any thoughts on my other questions?
    (How to just make this sign-up header SMALLER (1/3 of current size), and without picture? And (or...), if we get rid of it completely: I can just put a link to register & log in in the right SIDE BAR, right? How? And what is the link for the REG PAGE in the first place? :wink:

Thanks!!

Falk

• tapswinkler

Thanks, Richie!

BTW, yoursite.com/register does just redirect to the homepage on my buddypress social theme install.
    See here:
    http://www.jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum/register

I didn't change any settings... Did you mean this is supposed to go to the REG PAGE out of the box?
    Or do I need some manual change for that. (Sounds like it in my case...)

( Yes, the home page is jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum )

Also: I tried what masonjames suggested re making the Activity Stream the landing tab, but that yielded an error message on the "new" home page:
    See here (after having followed masonjames' instructions from above EXACTLY:
    http://www.jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum/

I am getting this error message:
    Permission Denied
    Not Found / No Access
    The page you are looking for either does not exist, or you do not have the permissions to access it.

masonjames' instructions were:
    You can make the Activity page act as the 'home' page or landing page by going to:
    Settings > Reading

Other other: I saw another BP social theme integrate FACEBOOK CONNECT to sign up.
    How does that work?

Lastly: the FORUM part of BuddyPress: that's possible to run with bbPress, is that correct?
    Or is that AUTOMATICALLY happening already?

Sorry, BP beginner here... Lots of questions.

Thanks in advance!

Falk

• tapswinkler

Persistence is not one of my weaknesses, so I am re-posting my unanswered post from 1/31 here again, in hopes of a reply from our savvy CS here:

Thanks, Richie!

BTW, yoursite.com/register does just redirect to the homepage on my buddypress social theme install.
    See here:
    http://www.jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum/register

I didn't change any settings... Did you mean this is supposed to go to the REG PAGE out of the box?
    Or do I need some manual change for that. (Sounds like it in my case...)

( Yes, the home page is jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum )

Also: I tried what masonjames suggested re making the Activity Stream the landing tab, but that yielded an error message on the "new" home page:
    See here (after having followed masonjames' instructions from above EXACTLY:
    http://www.jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum/

I am getting this error message:
    Permission Denied
    Not Found / No Access
    The page you are looking for either does not exist, or you do not have the permissions to access it.

masonjames' instructions were:
    Settings > Reading

How does that work?

Lastly: the FORUM part of BuddyPress: that's possible to run with bbPress, is that correct?
    Or is that AUTOMATICALLY happening already?

Sorry, BP beginner here... Lots of questions.

Thanks in advance!

Falk

• Richie_KS

hi falk

@register link in message
    yes...you need to enter the register link manually thro the theme options message settings.

@activity as homepage
    it should be working as per mason instructions..try resave the setting again..
    that's odd...this link work tho
    http://www.jazzguitarmasterclass.com/forum/activity
    not sure if the forum slug conflicted...
    if still not working...try setup other page like about us etc to homepage and see if they
    show...

@facebook connect

search and download BuddyPress-Facebook Connect and upload to plugins/
    activate them and config the setting in dashboard...that should do it...no need to edit
    the template.

@bbpress forum
    the buddypress already had an integrated bbpress...although you can setup a standalone
    bbpress but they need some deep integration from group forum and member log integration which
    you can find some instruction on bp forum..

cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.