BuddyPress Social theme with Membership plugin does not work on iPhones

I just spent several days switching my website from the Business Portfolio child theme to BuddyPress Social child theme.

I am using WPMU multi site with the membership plugin and BuddyPress plugin.

Everything looked wonderful until I started getting e-mails from my members who were using iPhones to access the site. They are able to sign in but the menus are not visible, but they do have some sort of drop down menus, but they do not work.They cannot get to any of the pages.

I can't test this as I do not have an iPhone.

Does anyone have any information or help with this?

Thanks

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey JoAnn.

The Social theme isn't a responsive theme, so you may have issues when running in smaller browsers like iPhone. I've not tested it on my iPhone so I'm not 100% what is off....

You could use a plugin like this one:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wptouch/screenshots/

Its designed to make your site look good in a mobile browser and is a good alternative to a responsive theme.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• JoAnn
    • The Incredible Code Injector

The WPTouch plugin did not work.

I guess I am a little frustrated that you have themes that do not work with mobile devices as these are so popular now. At least it should state that in the description so we would not waste our time styling them only to find out that they do not work.

Any other suggestions as to how to make it work? I love the look of the theme, but I have had to revert back to the Business Portfolio Child theme because I was inundated with e-mails and calls because my members could not sign in.

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

JoAnn

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Quite often when a theme is marketed for mobile use you will see the rather geeky term of responsive in its name or blurb. I know the theme developers here are looking to release responsive themes this year.

What issues did you have with the WPTouch plugin?

I know you run BuddyPress as well and I did see this:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-mobile/screenshots/

But noted it said no longer supported for some reason.

I'll ping Richie in on this as well, I'm not sure of his plans for support with mobile devices.

Take care.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi joann

I guess I am a little frustrated that you have themes that do not work with mobile devices as these are so popular now

the social theme actually already optimize for ipad and iphone. in latest version, a css3 media query approach were added.

when user in iphone, the site content resize accordingly and fit but only the dropmenu issue right?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey JoAnn

Just checking in on this one. I note there was a release on the 20th Feb. Did the new version resolve the issue or would you like me to get the developer to take another look?

Ohh and we're currently testing the new Membership plugin, wasn't sure if I told you or not. Hopefully it won't be long now.

Let me know. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• JoAnn
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks Tim, I did not see that update and it did not show up in my WPMU updates on my dashboard.

I have downloaded and installed. I'll test it within the next few weeks. We're completing our move to St. George Island, FL so the websites have to take a back seat for a while (as long as they don't give me any grief).

I'll let you know if the update solves the problem.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.