BuddyPress Spam Account Creation

Hey peeps

On my site http://harounkola.com I’m allowing free registrations for the affiliate program, but I’m getting overrun by spam registrations. The setting in my membership are NOT to enable incomplete Sign Ups, and I’ve got the BuddyPress humanity plugin (actually even with a Captcha, and account moderation plugins) but the spam keeps coming in.

Is the membership plugin and how it takes over the registration process not allowing these plugins to work, or how can I stop spam registrations on my site?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Are people able to signup over your buddypress registration pages?

Do you see Captcha on the reg form?

Even with Captchas though, it doesn’t do much to stop spammers. In the past I’ve tried Captchas, custom questions, hidden fields and more but sadly they just keep coming. WordPress based websites I’ve created always seem more prone to spam than non-WordPress based sites.

I’m not sure how the account moderation plugin would work here as when they complete signup they are made active with Membership.

The most effective way I’ve found to stop spam is to stick your site behind a paywall but that is not always practical.

Here is an interesting concept:

http://www.areyouahuman.com/demo

I’ve tested some integrations of this, not sure how it will cope out there.

Take care.

• harounkola
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Timothy

Are people able to signup over your buddypress registration pages?

Yes, its scary I know, even though I’ve got the option in my Memberships panel to not allow incomplete signups.

Do you see Captcha on the reg form?

Yes, when I had it switched on, I’m turning plugins on and off as I test various ones. None seem to be working.

The most effective way I’ve found to stop spam is to stick your site behind a paywall but that is not always practical.

What’s that?

Here is an interesting concept:

http://www.areyouahuman.com/demo

I’ve tested some integrations of this, not sure how it will cope out there.

Take care.

This site is not loading for me!

Eish :slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Yes, its scary I know, even though I’ve got the option in my Memberships panel to not allow incomplete signups.

They are not using the membership signup whilst BuddyPress is activated. They use the BuddyPress one instead.

Yes, when I had it switched on, I’m turning plugins on and off as I test various ones. None seem to be working.

If they are BP compatible an your users use the BP forms, then it should show there. But this wouldn’t affect the Membership signup for which is separate.

What’s that?

That is where you might charge 5p/5 cents (maybe 50 cents) or through a text/phone call. Something which generally costs the user a small nominal amount of money. Not sure if Paypal still do this, but they use to deposit two small amounts into your bank account and have you confirm. Well the paywall is similar method but reversed where the custom pays the small amount.

This site is not loading for me!

Not sure why that is, it seems to work for me when I tested it now. Perhaps something temporary or localised…

Take care.

• harounkola
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

They are not using the membership signup whilst BuddyPress is activated. They use the BuddyPress one instead.

I’ve also got a WP to aweber registration form going on, and all the spam registrations to the site, don’t eventually end up in that newsletter database, so they’re using some sneaky method to register.

Thanks for your help though, I’m sure something will come up around this, its not my main worry at present, the sign-ups to the membership are, and that’s not working.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/please-help-me-test-my-membership-plugin

• ericslangley
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I am getting a similar problem. I am getting spam user registrations that appear to be bypassing the BuddyPress register system. I have several fields setup, that are required. Spam user accounts are being created that do not have these fields filled out.

Not sure where they are coming from!

@harounkola did you come up with a solution?

~eric

@ericslangley

• ericslangley
    • The Incredible Code Injector

After doing some more research on spam and spam registrations in particular I ended up testing WangGuard. So far it is stopping these but it has only been active for a few days. I like their model. You can Google them to read more about it or visit the WP plugin page. It’s free for now.

Some others that I found but have not tested yet:

Bad Behavior

Security

Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin

~eric

@ericslangley

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.