Buddypress theme settings dont appear

This question may demonstrate my lack of understanding as to how Buddypress and Wordpress integrate.
My developer setup a multisite installation for me and I setup a number of blogs and have been experimenting with various plugins. He also setup a second installation on which I installed Blogs MU. I have been playing with it and it works fine for what I want. My aim is for the Buddypress (Blogs Mu) theme to be the social end of the multisite. Each blog on the multisite is to be a self-contained community news site but with the ability for members to share resources etc across the broader community. My developer has given me the impression that achieving this outcome requires a lot of work, this is his first work with Wordpress.
I then came across this post which suggests that it should be easy to achieve.

http://buddypress.org/community/groups/installing-buddypress/forum/topic/buddypress-1-5-on-multisite/

So I installed BP and network activated it, and then installed Blogs Mu on the root blog. The outcome was that some items ie groups, forums, activity and members appeared on the menu bar but as pages but without the ability to create groups etc. The theme specific Buddypress settings sub menu didn’t appear in the theme options and there are no settings or other options under Buddypress on the Network dashboard side menu.
Any guidance gratefully received.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

BuddyPress can only be network activated. You can designate a different site within your network for it to function on. That is done with:

define( 'BP_ROOT_BLOG', 2 );

The number is the site ID.

You can allow BuddyPress to work on all blogs in your network but they all share the same information, they would not be independent:

define ( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

Both of these can be placed within your wp-config.php or bp-custom.php file.

All settings for BuddyPress are located within the Network Admin area:

Admin --> Network Admin --> BuddyPress

Providing that "Restrict group creation to Site Admins?" is not set to yes, then anyone can create a group from the frontend.

Admin --> Network Admin --> BuddyPress --> Settings

Screens attached.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care.

• kevincuming

Hi Timothy

Thanks for your response. Sorry if the questions below are basic and the answers obvious. I have poured over everything I can find on the subject but I come at this as a user without fully understanding the database structures.

In the standard multisite with Buddypress root blog setup:

When a new contributor is registered on a specific Wordpress site do they also automatically get a Buddypress profile created and get access to all the other Buddypress functionality? For example will they be able to view profiles across the network, have access to common forums and groups, have friends who are contributors to other sites on the multisite and send messages across to their friends on other sites?

I see each news site as also a group and the members using your Group email and calendar plugins to help organise themselves. Is it possible as individuals are registered on a specific site for them also to be automatically registered as part of that sites group?

You included two images:

With my installation under the group page I don’t see what your image showed. I simply get Edit this not create a group – it appears to simply be a page without being linked to groups.

In the second image under the Buddypress in the side menu the submenu of components, pages, settings, profile pages appears. In mine there is no submenu.

Any input insights very welcome.

Cheers Kevin

• Timothy Bowers

When a new contributor is registered on a specific Wordpress site do they also automatically get a Buddypress profile created and get access to all the other Buddypress functionality? For example will they be able to view profiles across the network, have access to common forums and groups, have friends who are contributors to other sites on the multisite and send messages across to their friends on other sites?

Yes.

When you register in a WordPress Network the user will get a pseudo Subscriber role to all sites.

BuddyPress is Network activated and works on the network level. So there is no per site install. Its all shared if you enable it for all blogs.

If enabled for all blogs then all sites must use a BuddyPress enabled theme.

I see each news site as also a group and the members using your Group email and calendar plugins to help organise themselves. Is it possible as individuals are registered on a specific site for them also to be automatically registered as part of that sites group?

That isn't possible within BuddyPress by default. You would need to do something custom there. I'm not sure if there is a plugin to handle that.

With my installation under the group page I don’t see what your image showed. I simply get Edit this not create a group – it appears to simply be a page without being linked to groups.

How did you create a group before?

It should be there if its enabled within the settings?

In the second image under the Buddypress in the side menu the submenu of components, pages, settings, profile pages appears. In mine there is no submenu.

Silly question but did you click on the BuddyPress menu item first?

Let me know if you have more questions.

• kevincuming

BuddyPress is Network activated and works on the network level. So there is no per site install. Its all shared if you enable it for all blogs.
    If enabled for all blogs then all sites must use a BuddyPress enabled theme.

Does that mean that if one of the themes operational on one of the blogs is not BuddyPress enabled BuddyPress will fail across the whole network or just for that blog?

Just checking my understanding: If I am an author on site A I will be able to access all the network social functionality created by BuddyPress on the root blog simply by clicking through. Individuals roles and capabilities remain site specific although I will be able to view all network sites as a subscriber.

I don’t fully understand the relationship between Wordpress and BuddyPress profiles. When an individual is registered as a contributor on site A they create a profie. Will that password enable them to log in directly to the BuddyPress network on the root blog? If they update their profile in the Wordpress site will it update the relevant fields in their BuddyPress profile?

How did you create a group before?

I have never created groups on the multisite installation that I am having problems with. My developer setup a lone BuddyPress installation for me and I installed Blogs Mu on it. That site works perfectly. I can create groups, forums and I can see everything on your images. I know how it should work.

He also setup a Wordpress multisite for me, just Wordpress. I network installed BuddyPress, network activated and installed Blogs Mu on blog 1, which I understand to be the root blog. It is here as part of the multisite that it isn’t working. I don’t see the BuddyPress drop down menu on the network admin, I don’t see the theme specific BuddyPress settings in theme options and I can’t create groups.

I have messed around with the multisite network installing and trying out different plugins including your member and avatar plugins. I have now deactivated everything apart from BuddyPress. Is it possible that some residual code has been left behind? Should I setup a virgin installation and start from scratch? It clearly isn’t live.

Interestingly/bizarrely since I installed BuddyPress and Blogs Mu on the multisite network it seems to have created some sort of link with the separate standalone BuddyPress installation. When I go to login into the network it takes me to the standalone BuddyPress installation.

On another subject purely out of interest how does one know how many points to award. I worked as a teacher for many years and feel lost without guidance. Sad I know.

Cheers and thanks Kevin

• Timothy Bowers

Does that mean that if one of the themes operational on one of the blogs is not BuddyPress enabled BuddyPress will fail across the whole network or just for that blog?

define ( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

It will fail on those sites, I also think it will keep a message in the admin of the site to activate a BuddyPress theme as well.

Just checking my understanding: If I am an author on site A I will be able to access all the network social functionality created by BuddyPress on the root blog simply by clicking through. Individuals roles and capabilities remain site specific although I will be able to view all network sites as a subscriber.

Regardless of if you have BuddyPress or not, if a user is registered on you network they can access all sites with a pseudo subscriber role. Even if they don't an actual role on any site at all.

All roles on a specific site are for that site.

I don’t fully understand the relationship between Wordpress and BuddyPress profiles. When an individual is registered as a contributor on site A they create a profie. Will that password enable them to log in directly to the BuddyPress network on the root blog? If they update their profile in the Wordpress site will it update the relevant fields in their BuddyPress profile?

Imagine WordPress as a framework. Plugins including BuddyPress extend that framework.

WordPress handles the registration and user accounts. So their username and password for WordPress is what will be used for the whole network.

They would generally update their profile within the BP area and you can sync any relevant details.

Interestingly/bizarrely since I installed BuddyPress and Blogs Mu on the multisite network it seems to have created some sort of link with the separate standalone BuddyPress installation. When I go to login into the network it takes me to the standalone BuddyPress installation.

Both separate installs? Never seen that happen because they would need something linking them.

Would you mind me taking a look at your site? I would need FTP and Network admin access?

Let me know if that is ok.

On another subject purely out of interest how does one know how many points to award. I worked as a teacher for many years and feel lost without guidance. Sad I know.

Treat it like money for time, how much did it save you? How much did it help you?

If you wish to award me any, then please only use one point so that you can leave a comment. Its always nice to receive them, but I don't need them for a free lifetime membership. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.