BuddyPress themes

I have found a buddypress theme from themeforest.net named Salutation that fits most of our needs. I have not purchased it yet.

My question: How will a theme from an outside source work with other plugins I might get from WPMU?

Thank you!

ShirleyB

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello ShirleyB,

If the theme is coded to standard WordPress coding practices, it would work just fine. While we cannot guarantee anything, we try to be compatible with every other theme, and I am sure if it turns out otherwise, we can figure something out :slight_smile:

Make sure that the theme you purchase works with the latest versions of WordPress.

Good luck!

• MyMiddleEarth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Shirley:

I would personally recommend to stay as far away from Salutation as humanly possible.

The theme LOOKS great, and it does have an incredible amount of customization ability. But unfortunately, and I say this from direct and frustrating experience, it’s fools gold. Page load times, confusingly laid out code, and an overall un-intuitive end user AND admin experience completely mitigate any positives the overall “look” gives.

This is just my personal opinion, of course. I have read many similar sentiments though.

I would recommend looking for a theme with more active development, and a ‘cleaner’ core.

• ShirleyB
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for the advice!

With regards to: “I would recommend looking for a theme with more active development, and a ‘cleaner’ core,” Unfortuantely, I do not have experience in “cleaner core” . Any recommendations as to names of themes that would fit this bill?

• MyMiddleEarth

We use the Social theme from here on WPMUDev over on mymiddleearth.com currently.

We’ve been able to heavily customize it to suit our needs quite well.

I am hopeful that WPMUDev will release some more BP-oriented themes soon that will allow for even more flexibility :slight_smile:

• bmwijaya

Hiya,

I am developing my multisite blog with main site theme using “Mingle themes” same theme developer of salutation. I am finding no problem with wpmudev plugin so far with their theme, prosites, domain mapping, easy blogging etc working smoothly. I am a beginner in coding, I just read their manual and ask at their support forum if any doubt, as a result I got good looking of my sites. Hope it help as reference.

• MyMiddleEarth

Mingle is a gorgeous theme, I won’t argue there.

In my experience though, the coding of themes from that dev suffer from a great many more incompatibility issues than anything I’ve ever experienced.

Also, when we switched from Salutation to a WPMUDev theme, our load speeds increased by over 200% at least.

If it’s working for you, that’s great! I am glad.

But for us, it was an absolute nightmare, and that was after months of testing, troubleshooting and bug fixing.

Just my 2cents

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.